Defense NOT as poor as perceived vs. Jags

Discussion in 'Chicago Bears' started by BradMustersGhost, Aug 16, 2014.

1. BradMustersGhost

BradMustersGhost Veteran

Ratings:
    +340 / 1 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    257ß
    http://www.chicagotribune.com/sport...ic-defense-bears-spt-0816-20140816-story.html

I have copied and pasted the full article below for those who can't access the link. So, what do you guys think? Does Wiederer have a point, or is he just a sunshine pumper?!!!

Bears linebacker Jon Bostic sensed what was coming. On a third-and-1 play early in the first quarter Thursday at Soldier Field, Bostic noticed Jaguars receiver Allen Hurns motion into "a two-man stack" beside fellow receiver Marqise Lee and his radar went off.
    Calling on recent film study to anticipate a crack toss play to running back Toby Gerhart, Bostic quickly alerted defensive end Jared Allen of the read, then waited.

When the snap came, with Jaguars quarterback Chad Henne flipping a toss left to Gerhart, Bostic darted downhill, shed left tackle Luke Joeckel's block and leveled Gerhart for a 4-yard lossSure, that stop forced the Jaguars to settle for a 49-yard Josh Scobee field goal on Thursday's opening possession. But of more importance, it offered invaluable positive reinforcement for a still-green linebacker in a still-developing defense.

"That came from something just watching film," Bostic said. "So you just keep improving, keep learning the game and how this defense works and that's only going to help. … My main thing was play faster. Don't think. Have fun."

It wasn't all fun for the Bears during Thursday's 20-19 exhibition victory over the Jaguars. In fact, a one-sided first quarter offered little fun at all. The Bears were outgained 134-8, running just five plays to the Jaguars' 28. Yet by Friday afternoon, coach Marc Trestman had found an ounce of positive spin on that rough defensive start.

"Good for our conditioning," he said with a straight face.

OK. That's something. But that wasn't all that had Trestman feeling encouraged as the Bears marched toward the penultimate week of the preseason. Trestman's Friday film review revealed numerous bright spots for a defense still feeling its way around in mid-August.
    Shea McClellin seemed more at ease in his second exhibition game at linebacker. And a first-unit defensive line that has been active and sturdy throughout training camp continued establishing itself as a stingy bunch against the run.
    The Bears surrendered only 25 rushing yards on their first three defensive series, allowing 2.5 yards per carry as Bostic, McClellin and Allen each had tackles for losses.

If McClellin's exhibition debut against the Eagles was shaky — he contributed only two tackles in 29 snaps — he played with more assertiveness against the Jaguars, delivering four stops.
    "He was around the ball a little bit more," Trestman said. "He was more active. … You could see a little more confidence, more natural reactions to making plays."
    Bostic also admitted feeling added comfort Thursday night as he looks to find his niche. Since the spring, he has spent time rotating between responsibilities at strong-side linebacker and middle linebacker, the latter providing more of a comfort zone. But Trestman has no immediate plans to narrow Bostic's focus to one role.

OK. That's something. But that wasn't all that had Trestman feeling encouraged as the Bears marched toward the penultimate week of the preseason. Trestman's Friday film review revealed numerous bright spots for a defense still feeling its way around in mid-August.
    Shea McClellin seemed more at ease in his second exhibition game at linebacker. And a first-unit defensive line that has been active and sturdy throughout training camp continued establishing itself as a stingy bunch against the run.
    The Bears surrendered only 25 rushing yards on their first three defensive series, allowing 2.5 yards per carry as Bostic, McClellin and Allen each had tackles for losses.

If McClellin's exhibition debut against the Eagles was shaky — he contributed only two tackles in 29 snaps — he played with more assertiveness against the Jaguars, delivering four stops.
    "He was around the ball a little bit more," Trestman said. "He was more active. … You could see a little more confidence, more natural reactions to making plays."
    Bostic also admitted feeling added comfort Thursday night as he looks to find his niche. Since the spring, he has spent time rotating between responsibilities at strong-side linebacker and middle linebacker, the latter providing more of a comfort zone. But Trestman has no immediate plans to narrow Bostic's focus to one role.

"It's tough because of his flexibility," Trestman said. "He plays middle (linebacker) very well. … If we lose somebody he can move into either position."

For the defense as a whole, Friday's trip to Seattle to face the Super Bowl champion Seahawks will provide a much more telling progress report. Starters on both teams figure to play into the second half.
    And as defensive tackle Stephen Paea said Thursday night, "Seattle's not Jacksonville. So obviously we have a lot of work to do."
    But the Bears, Paea promised, also are showing they can be much more vicious on defense than they were a season ago.

"You can feel it up front," Paea said. "On that D-line, there's an energy and a focus on every guy winning every down. And we're developing the ability to read our run-pass keys plus our ability to work on technique and moves to shed blocks."

•The Bears placed tight end Zach Miller on injured reserve with a season-ending foot injury and signed receiver Kofi Hughes to fill the open roster spot.
    dwiederer@tribune.com

Twitter @danwiedererB
  2. Bearsinhouston

Bearsinhouston Position Coach

Ratings:
    +1,638 / 6 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    902ß
    No matter what the coaches say,. the players know... as evidenced by what Paea said.

This is good. It's what we have all been hearing. It just has to show up on the field. Until it does, Tucker is going to be second guessed
  3. JustAnotherBearsFan99

JustAnotherBearsFan99 Coordinator SuperFan DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +2,446 / 3 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    886ß
    This ^^^^^

Everything else is just talk. If the expectation is that we want to be champions in the NFL then we need to be able to beat the good teams - and not just the bad ones. We can beat the bad teams by riding Cutler's arm. But we can't beat the better teams like this. This is what we saw last year, and the years prior. To be champions we need ENOUGH defense to overcome teams like Aaron Rodger's Packers.

That is the bottom line.

Sure, we can make all kinds of excuses as to "why' the defense isn't what it should be. And these may be good excuses. We had plenty of 'em when we tried to make believe the offense was going to be okay during the Lovie Smith years. But in the end, we either win or lose. Friday, against the Seattle team, let's see what this unit actually does. And if it looks bad again, sure, we can trot out the old excuses. That will make us feel better. But it won't make us champions. We'll just see another year where we suck hind tit to the Green Bay Packers. Another 8-8 type team.

As Paea said in that quote "Seattle's not Jacksonville" and to be champions we need to be able to beat teams like Seattle. Hey, I "get it" that this is only preseason. So I'm not concerned about the final score or a win on Friday. But I am concerned about how the defense executes against a good team. That I'm concerned about. Let's see if this D can play with the big boys.
    • Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  4. 50YearFrustration

50YearFrustration Rookie

Ratings:
    +23 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    30ß
    There were bright spots, McClellin and Bostic for sure. Still, making Chad Henne look great is concerning.
    • Like Like x 2
  5. butkus3595

butkus3595 Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +602 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    316ß
    I gotta be honest....I could care less whether we beat Seattle in a meaningless pre-season game. I just want to come out healthy. Also...Jacksonville is going to be a lot better this year...watch.
    • Like Like x 4
  6. butkus3595

butkus3595 Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +602 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    316ß
    Also...with the rules being enforced the way they are..qb's and receivers are going to put up HUGE numbers this year.
  7. JustAnotherBearsFan99

Ratings:
    +2,446 / 3 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    886ß
    I agree that the final score isn't everything in this game. But it is a great opportunity for the team to take another step against a quality opponent. If we want to BE the best then we need to be able to beat the best. Seattle is the Super Bowl champion now. Let's see how we handle them. Let's see how our players perform. This isn't the lowly 4-12 Jaguars. This is a rock solid team. I deeply respect what they've built in Seattle. It's not a one-trick pony team. They are good on offense, defense and special teams. They are everything I love to watch in a football team (they really play "Bears smash mouth football" like we used to play here in Chicago. It is a preseason game so if we win or lose, that's not as important as seeing how the starters perform against a quality opponent.
  8. butkus3595

butkus3595 Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +602 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    316ß
    Yeah, I'd like to see how the team does...but I'm still not going to over react one way or the other. If the Bears whip their ass I'm not going to predict a Super Bowl season, and if they get whipped I'm not going to dread the season.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  9. RoSto89

RoSto89 Rookie

Ratings:
    +29 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    34ß
    Did anyone catch Seattle v. San Diego? I hope our D can look better than the Chargers D. I hope the whole team looks better than the Chargers looked against the Seahawks. I know it's preseason, but you don't want to go out there looking that bad.
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  10. Bearsinhouston

Ratings:
    +1,638 / 6 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    902ß
    That team has a way of making some pretty good team look bad.
    • Like Like x 1
  11. dabears70

dabears70 Veteran

Ratings:
    +53 / 1 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    58ß
    This Seattle team is as solid of a team as it gets. They're deep at pretty much every position. They have 3 RB's that can all be starters in Lynch,Turbin and Michael and that defense is beastly all around. I agree that we don't have to win the game but we need to show that we can play with these boys and we need to come out healthy. Seattle looked awesome against San Diego last night like they haven't missed a beat and they're ready to make another super bowl run.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  12. JustAnotherBearsFan99

Ratings:
    +2,446 / 3 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    886ß
    I watched them play last night too. The last couple of years they've been the team in the NFL I'd most like to see the Bears emulate. A well balanced team. Intimidating smashmouth defense. I was at the game where they ended Knox's career.....broke him like a stick.....not that I like hurting players. I don't. But the style of play for their D is awesome. They have a brilliant head coach who understands all facets of the game. They come. They dominate. They win.
    Last edited: Aug 16, 2014
  13. riczaj01

riczaj01 DaBears Ditka DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +3,084 / 9 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,154ß
    That's b/c they fired Tucker.
    • Like Like x 3
    • Funny Funny x 1
  14. riczaj01

Ratings:
    +3,084 / 9 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,154ß
    I'm not worried about this at all. The reality is the Bears and Sea are not at the same levels yet. Sea knows exactly what it is and where it is, Chi is still growing. What's sick is Sea is younger and deeper already; they got a good 2-3 year jump on us via good drafts.

The Bears are still trying to get Bostic and Shea up to speed and giving them teachable moments on tape. Sea doesn't have that issue. I'm really more interested in what the Bears O can do vs these guys.
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  15. JustAnotherBearsFan99

Ratings:
    +2,446 / 3 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    886ß
    That's how I see it too. If that seems "negative" then maybe I am. I would like to see up play (on defense) at the level the Super Bowl champion Seahawks play. But I guess that hits a nerve here tonight with some folks. The "party line" is that Tucker is wonderful. Hey, maybe he is, but he has to prove it here in Chicago before I drink the Tucker kool aid.
  16. riczaj01

Ratings:
    +3,084 / 9 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,154ß
    Why would you expect them to play up to that level? Wanting them to and expecting them to are two different things. Going into the off season and FA and the draft, I thought everyone was on the same page, this D was never going to be great again, that we all understood this was going to be, at best, an average def. Why is that now changing after 2 pre season games where they have looked just that?

What about the players on this Def makes you think they have the 3 levels of the field so secure that they could play at the level of Sea?
    Sea is built on it's CB's and S's and front 4, but a slightly softer lb'ing core
    The Bears are built on their front 4 and CB's; but the S's are weak and a LB'rs(briggs/williams mind you) are slightly better. Emery went into the offseason doing nothing about the S's so there is no reason to expect the D to be at that level, the talent isn't there.

JABF you tend to be far more level headed and reasonable then this, I just don't get it.
    • Like Like x 1
  17. JustAnotherBearsFan99

Ratings:
    +2,446 / 3 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    886ß
    I don't. I'd like for us to be a better D. I do admire what they've done in Seattle. I love watching their defense in particular. No, I don't think we're going to see our defense at that level in the regular season. That's okay, we don't have to have that level of defense to be successful. But we do have to get better than we are. I don't think anyone would disagree with that. Trestman himself has said something to this effect after the Jaguars game.
    • Like Like x 1
  18. riczaj01

Ratings:
    +3,084 / 9 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,154ß
    That I agree with. But I don't think what you are seeing in pre season is what this D is going to be in the reg season b/c you aren't going to be seeing a lot of bostic or shea in the regular season like you are in the pre season(barring more catastrophic inj's). Just keep that in mind.
    • Like Like x 1
  19. JustAnotherBearsFan99

Ratings:
    +2,446 / 3 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    886ß
    Yeah, hopefully it will be better in the regular season. And I fully admit that it could be and hope that it is.

When the D starts looking better I'll be better. Right now I'm disappointed. I see a team that is loaded on offense but saddled with a defense that will probably hold them back again this year. I understand the reality of the situation. I understand we should get better, hopefully, but not everything is looking so good right now. If Tucker ends up being a stud coach I'll be the happiest guy here. If Shea turns out to be solid, ditto, I'll be happy.

I'm not trying to pee on everyone's corn flakes. Just giving my opinion. I am worried about our chances this season with this defense. Apparently this is blasphemy to some of the fans here tonight. Sorry for that.
    • Like Like x 1
  20. Bearsinhouston

Ratings:
    +1,638 / 6 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    902ß
    Now that's funny!