Detailed Look on Drafting a Safety

Discussion in 'Chicago Bears' started by ZifanQ, Mar 17, 2014.

1. short faced bear

short faced bear Assistant Head Coach
    DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +1,521 / 0 / -3
    ßearz ßuckz:
    642ß
    Please Register or Log in to Remove this Advertisement!
    Would love to see Ha ha but I will settle for stopping the revolving door of wasted draft picks and FA signings and some decent, flexible depth.

Peanut`s replcement needs to be had now and should take a slight priority over the safety position. Fill in the gaping holes and build depth-we can get an elite SS or FS later.

2. soulman

soulman Pro-Bowler
    SuperFan DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +1,917 / 7 / -3
    ßearz ßuckz:
    713ß
    This is where I have to disagree shorty or at least as far as taking a CB in the first round. When you draft as high as we are you want a starter and both CB positions are set for 2013. CBs usually don't take as much time to develop before they can play. If you take one in the first you plan on starting him 9 times out of 10 and with who we have committed money to he won't. Now I suppose Gilbert could be an exception because like Patrick Peterson the kid has major return skills but I think the whole point is probably moot because top CBs usually don't make it out of the top ten and I don't believe Gilbert will either.

I'm looking at it in a similar fashion to how Aussie BDU sees it. I believe the #14 pick is an ideal spot to get an elite or high end player in one of the positions this team needs help in now. I also believe we'll have our choice of at least two or three players that fit the bill. If Melton departs one of those positions will surely be a DT to replace him and the best guy for that appears to be Donald. Unless Tucker departs from what's worked in the past, not only for the Bears but many other 4-3 teams as well, he'll use a four man rotation at DT to keep his guys fresher. Donald should play and be effective in that four man rotation day one because he doesn't have to carry the burden alone and he'll be surrounded by vet talent at every other spot.

If by chance he's gone or somebody leap frogs us for him then Jernigan could also be a prospect or maybe we take the elite Safety although according to some the two top guys, Ha Ha and Pryor, aren't at the same level as some of the top guys drafted in the last five years. But it's still a major need and if we draft a Safety, even though some take time to acclimate to the pro game, there's very good chance he'll start or push the others so hard that we won't mind as much if he doesn't. That one reason why I favor Jimmie Ward in two to a certain degree because he could also play NB as well as FS. Conte needs stiff competition and sure as hell that Jennings kid isn't it. There are a half dozen other spread through rounds two and three that are also good prospects.

After he gets his starter in round one hell Emery may fool everyone and if a good QB prospect is there and too good to pass up he might shock us all. It's not like he's never done that before. Trestman seems to be able to get QBs up and running in his system very quickly and besides Palmer he really doesn't have anyone else yet. Eventually has had to draft a QB and there are a few in this draft that can be had after round one who have talent enough to look hard at. If he's gonna use a pick on offense I'd much rather it was a QB than a TE. I still believe we can get some mileage out of Onobun and they must think so too or they wouldn't have kept him stowed on the PS all year learning the position.

Anyway that just my thinking on it. I want a guy whose gonna start and have the opportunity to make an impact day one.

• Like Like x 1
  3. riczaj01

riczaj01 DaBears Ditka
    DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +4,058 / 10 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    2,315ß
    Peanut's replacement needs to be had now, but b/c of the depth of the position, much like DT, he can be had in rounds 2-3, again much like DT he'd be looking at playing in a rotation that woud severely limit his time on the field, so I think that S is still a huge priority b/c there is no starter at SS, and barely a starter at FS. If Brigg's is going to play w/a shoulder harness on, then ILB might be a bigger need then we truly understand b/c then Shea/Greene migth be looking at SAM and Bostic might have to be moved to WILL to help out, which still leaves a huge hole at MIKE if DJ were to go down.

4. mdbearz

mdbearz Veteran

Ratings:
    +390 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    184ß
    HaHa is the only safety I would take at 14, but he might not be there.

We are going to have someone fall out of the top ten and likely more than a couple of choices, so BPA really does mean something this year, but I really think that must be a defensive player.

5. mshu7

mshu7 Veteran

Ratings:
    +162 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    245ß
    I agree with you, but I'm not sure that 14 is the right spot. If Donald is gone at that point, I'd probably be alright with Pryor at 14.

6. VJ18

VJ18 Veteran

Ratings:
    +97 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    67ß
    Basically OP what your saying is we need to draft a safety but it looks like history says the second round is the better option

How about Jimmy Ward?

7. ZifanQ

ZifanQ Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +167 / 0 / -1
    ßearz ßuckz:
    81ß
    What I and I guesss what the original writer is trying to say that unless you take a safety in the two first rounds your chances of finding probowlers in the lower rounds are much much smaller. I'd like to see us take a safety in the first or 2th round, hate to pass up a guy like Donald but on the same time the thought of us having HaHa or Pryor as safety is really something that I like.

8. a_miljan

a_miljan Veteran

Ratings:
    +404 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    335ß
    this FA is turning out to be a real good one, especially depth wise, maybe if we re-sign wootton, britton and bowman, sign izzy (if he has anything left) and S Clemons we could totally go BPA. and we have enough CAP for all that, restructure contract or two, cut bennet and weems...

9. Akuma2000

Akuma2000 Veteran
    SuperFan

Ratings:
    +181 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    62ß
    With how deep the draft is with DT's and CB's, I think the bears should go safety first because that position has never really been the same since Mike Brown and has been a revolving door ever since (conte and wright are 2nd string at best but not really starter material)......this could be the chance were the bears can finally take the first step in fixing the position and potentially get a starter on opening day when they pick at #14.

• Like Like x 2
  10. soulman

soulman Pro-Bowler
    SuperFan DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +1,917 / 7 / -3
    ßearz ßuckz:
    713ß
    What I like about Jimmy Ward as a FS that I like less about Calvin Pryor is that Ward plays the ball more like a true centerfielder type FS whereas Pryor plays the man. Ward would rather defend that ball and Pryor defends the man looking to make the big hit. If we want a SS type I think Pryor as the guy but at FS I'd like a kid back there who can read offenses and get in position to stop downfield passes. We were very weak in that area last year. I like Pryor a lot just not so much as a FS as a SS and SS is what we signed Mundy for.