Detailed Look on Drafting a Safety

Discussion in 'Chicago Bears' started by ZifanQ, Mar 17, 2014.

1. BSBEARS

BSBEARS Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +435 / 3 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    196ß
    I like Ward and Dix. At SS I like Ahmad Dixon and Dione Bailey. They seem to be falling in the Mocks, not sure if its a real representation of what may happen or just fantasyland but they could be an option if they into rd4 or 5. Ed Reynolds FS was originally a late 2 rounder who appears to be falling as well so if these guys are truely falling they may be worth a look. I can see falling a few spots but something wrong when there falling rounds and no games have been played.
  2. Dunt

Dunt Rookie

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    Pryor looks like a better version of Brandon Merriweather to me, Haha or look for someone in the second round
  3. soulman

soulman Pro-Bowler SuperFan DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +1,366 / 0 / -2
    ßearz ßuckz:
    468ß
    I wonder if they're falling or others around them are rising and that's where the shake out is coming from. After reading up on some of these guys they look a lot like the same Major Wright, Morgan Brunett, Chris Conte, mid round picks we've seen in the past. They all have some flaws in their game. But the gurus are saying that even the first round guys like Ha Ha and Pryor aren't at quite the same level as top picks from the past five years or so. None of the them are the bluest of blue chippers.

There are no FS or SS who rate a 7.0 or above (top 10 pick) and Ha Ha and Pryor are the only two who rate a first round pick at all. The best of the rest are sprinkled into rounds 2-4 with guys like Ward, Bucannon, and Reynolds seemingly the best of those followed by Dixon, Bailey, and Loston all who look more like 3rd round guys or lower. There's also one other thing to consider in all of this. What type of defense are we even playing? No one has said for certain yet.

In Lovie's Cover-2 both Safeties were more or less equals. There was no pure FS or SS. The field was spit down the length of the field not the width and each had responsibility for his half. If they begin to play more man, or combinations of a Cover-1 and man or zone then Tucker will have a true deep FS and an "in the box" SS more often. That could very well dictate just how important having a true FS is to that defense vs having two guys who are a little of both.

I'm not as down on Conte as most are. The kid has the size, speed, and cover skills to play FS. Remember he was a CB in college so he had to learn the position and until last year he seemed to be picking it up pretty well and then the whole defense went into clusterfuck mode and him along with it. Tim Jennings got benched for Zack Bowman in 2011 then worked his ass off to turn his game around and came back as a Pro Bowl CB and one of the most dependable players we have.

I don't disagree with the need to make certain what happened in the deep secondary last year never happens again so I'd make damn sure I had as many bodies competing for those Safety spots as humanly possible but I'm not ready to trash Conte just yet and therefore I don't believe drafting high to replace him is an absolute necessity. Not when the next level of talent isn't all that far behind. Of course we could say the same about the DTs as well so taking whichever best suits our needs should be possible.
  4. Henry Burris

Henry Burris Head Coach

Ratings:
    +2,192 / 8 / -7
    ßearz ßuckz:
    60ß
    I'll bet a dollars were not drfating a safety in the first. Melton will be coming back cheaper than he expects if he even comes back (he's been to several teams thus far, and no serious suitors; if he makes it out of his next visit without sinding he might talk cto chicago againt), we'll need to draft an elite plaeyer at safety, because Emery has made not serious effort at getting a new/good nt, because paeas is uselessw. We naeed to draft more dfeetnsive tackles. Like a safety mid drafts. Not first. What do you say about that ric? (drops micorophone)
  5. riczaj01

riczaj01 DaBears Ditka DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +2,422 / 6 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    170ß
    Melton tweeted he's signing w/Dallas.
    • Like Like x 2
  6. RoSto89

RoSto89 Rookie

Ratings:
    +17 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    I've reading, over and over and over, Michael C. Wright saying the Bears D doesnt value safeties. Well this isnt Lovie's D anymore. While Mel Tucker was in Jacksonville they brought in Dwight Lowery and Dawan Landry to help fix his defense. If I remember right, Landry didn't come cheap, which suggest to me, he values a good safety more than Lovie. I hope Im right so the days of drafting a safety in the late rounds are done. I have a gut feeling Pryor will make more of an impact than Dix. I like both Ha Ha and Pryor, but I still think we grab a safety in round 2. Jimmie Ward would be perfect in my opinion. We have never really have a ball hawk in our secondary and I think he can be just that.
    • Like Like x 1
  7. soulman

soulman Pro-Bowler SuperFan DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +1,366 / 0 / -2
    ßearz ßuckz:
    468ß
    Why do you say that Henry? The guy played hurt most of last year and still had some good games. He's not the kind of guy whose gonna ring up a lot of sacks playing a stay at home NT but he's got the burst off the snap do it if he's ever used that way. I'm not saying he can't get better but his play last year was pretty much the same as 2012 when he was healthy all year long. I think he may well have topped that if he wasn't hurt. This is his contract year so he knows he needs to pull out a great year in order to get re-signed. He' another guy who wasn't an Emery pick and I don't think Emery will have problems letting him go if he doesn't produce.

But I do agree with you about the likelihood of taking a Safety in one. If there was a truly elite guy I might be tempted to say yes but there isn't. Ha Ha and Pryor are both good but in comparison to some elite Safeties from the past they aren't quite at that level. While the caliber of the next bunch drops some it's not all that much and there are at least a half dozen more who should probably go in rounds two or three. If Donald is there I think you have to take him because a pass rusher will trump a Safety for most teams.
    • Like Like x 2
  8. VJ18

VJ18 Veteran

Ratings:
    +74 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    I'll admit I think Im gonna join everyone on the bandwagon that should take a safety in the 1st and wait for a DT till the second
  9. riczaj01

riczaj01 DaBears Ditka DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +2,422 / 6 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    170ß
    Could well be a DE in the 2nd if Houston plays DT this year, which also might be why they are looking at going S in the first, most DE's aren't rated high at 14 and the ones that are would probably be long gone by the time the Bears pick