Devin Hester looking for $4m/year

Discussion in 'Chicago Bears' started by Jimmors, Mar 19, 2014.

1. soulman

soulman Pro-Bowler SuperFan DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +1,732 / 3 / -2
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,279ß
  2. soulman

Ratings:
    +1,732 / 3 / -2
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,279ß

It's not me that's dating myself brother it's my God damn birthdate that responsible! :mad:

I still think I'm 39. :bah:
  3. JustAnotherBearsFan99

JustAnotherBearsFan99 Coordinator SuperFan DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +2,128 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    430ß
    Hah. I've got underwear that old :)

[​IMG]
  4. Jimmors

Jimmors The Rhymenoceros Staff Member SuperFan

Ratings:
    +4,289 / 8 / -6
    ßearz ßuckz:
    567ß
  5. butkus3595

butkus3595 Veteran

Ratings:
    +472 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    143ß
    Thats absolutely ridiculous! Like I said...it just takes one owner. He better be playing some sort of offense for that money.
  6. JustAnotherBearsFan99

Ratings:
    +2,128 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    430ß
    It tells you a lot about the Falcons organization right now. With the NFL rule changes limiting the value of return guys (and more suggested) I just don't understand why a team would pay this kind of money for a guy who is turning 32 years old this season who has 1 TD and 6 fumbles in recent years. Nothing against Hester, and not hating here. It's just a matter of return on your investment. And the guy makes some really bad decisions with the football that hurt us in recent years. And they're delusional if they think he can add anything as a WR.
    • Like Like x 2
  7. Jimmors

Ratings:
    +4,289 / 8 / -6
    ßearz ßuckz:
    567ß
    its their problem now.
  8. 4dabers

4dabers Veteran DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +677 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    51ß
    To Atlanta: :002::rofl2:
  9. Bearstuff

Bearstuff Yes, in the woods. Staff Member SuperFan

Ratings:
    +1,067 / 3 / -2
    ßearz ßuckz:
    416ß
    This will be hilarious when they do away with kick offs all together next year, after effectively killing it this year.

Devin, here's $3mm, we expect you to play in as many as 35 plays this year.......hilarious.
  10. Jimmors

Ratings:
    +4,289 / 8 / -6
    ßearz ßuckz:
    567ß
    $85k per play? Not too shabby. Even with his $18M last year, Peyton Manning only made 27k per passing attempt.
    • Like Like x 1
  11. soulman

Ratings:
    +1,732 / 3 / -2
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,279ß
    Here's the numbers from Spotrac;

[​IMG]
    Devin Hester
    Wide Receiver
    8 years
    31 years old

Drafted:Round 2 (#57 overall), 2006
    College:Miami (FL)
    Falcons:
    Current Salary Information
    Contract: 3 yr(s) / $9,000,000 Signing Bonus[​IMG] $2,500,000 Average Salary $3,000,000 Guaranteed: - Free Agent: 2017 / Unrestricted
    Year Base S. Bonus[​IMG] Misc. Cap Hit Dead
    2014 - - - - -
    2015 - - - - -
    2016 - - - - -
    2017 UFA
    Atlanta must have a lot of cap space they need to use up. They gave him twice as much as a signing bonus alone as I thought was the max the Bears should pay for a one year deal. He got what he was after and if there was any hint at all from his agent that he was looking for a 3 year deal in the $10 mil range then I take it all back. I can see why they never made him an offer. That would have been a total waste of everyone's time. Atlanta guaranteed him $400k more than he even made last year and his deal (if he plays it out) is at least 2x to 3x more than I thought he could ever get. I guess we need to nickname the Altlanta owner Arthur "Blank-check". Wow, that extra $10 mil of cap space sure burned a whole in the pockets of some teams. There's some crazy deals being done.
    • Like Like x 2
  12. dinwitty

dinwitty Rookie

Ratings:
    +6 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    Because he is part of the Bears history, if he breaks it against the bears I'll cheer for him.
    Pete Rose when he tied Ty Cobbs hits record in Wrigley field the fans standing ovationed him. No betting did that, that was all effort. Some well known Chicago players finished their careers on other teams. Atlanta may find a spot for him than just returns perhaps. With such nimble legs you think he might try defensive pass rushing, the Bears should have tried that.
  13. soulman

Ratings:
    +1,732 / 3 / -2
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,279ß
    The trouble is he's about 80-100lbs light of the load of what a pass rusher needs to bring to the table. He thinks he can play CB so maybe they'll try that .
  14. Seqq34

Seqq34 Rookie

Ratings:
    +52 / 1 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    18ß
    Some of you laugh but Hester was used in the completely wrong way as a WR here in Chicago..except for when Turner was OC..

He of course is not a #1 or 2 WR, but he is a mismatch on LB's and Safeties, or at least was...still not sure if injuries have slowed him down or if Martz killed him...always wanted to see more of him in the slot as a 3 or 4 though. WR coaching was..to put it lightly, SHIT, when they were trying to make him a star here...He could be a nice sleeper guy for Atl. if their coaching can help him regain confidence/develop.

I still feel he wasn't going to fit in this offense but he may not be the bust WR as some of you believe...but i could be wrong LoL
  15. JJ-30

JJ-30 Veteran

Ratings:
    +127 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    18ß
    Your lucky because I don't even remember 39.
  16. soulman

Ratings:
    +1,732 / 3 / -2
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,279ß
    Of course he was but we can all blame Jerry Angelo for that and for Lovie allowing himself to go along with it. The contract extension JA gave him paid him like a #1 WR so obviously he expected him to be used like one. So they put him out on the edge or at flanker and found that he never had the combination of skills to handle it no matter who was throwing to him. He couldn't understand coverages well enough to adjust and redirect his routes, he couldn't always adjust to the ball in the air, had no idea how to catch a back shoulder throw and his hands were inconsistent at best.

He was a #3 or #4 WR playing #1 because he was paid like it and as far as JA was concerned he was God damn well gonna learn to play it. But he couldn't, and we could all see that. The other problem was that there were bonuses in his contract in later years he could only earn IF he was as productive as a #1 WR would expect to be. Playing him very little at WR or not all meant he had zero chance of earning those bonuses which is what happened his last two seasons with the Bears. He did not earn anywhere near all of the $$$ his contract might have paid. He lost $10 mil in bonuses in 2012 and 2013 alone and only made $2.1 mil last year.

Yes, he should have been moved into the slot catching shorter passes in open areas of zones where he could use his open field running skills to break out for big plays or when at Flanker used to run crossing routes that also would have allowed him to use his speed and acceleration more effectively but they seldom did. Martz was a downfield guy so he didn't fit with him and Tice was a complete idiot who should never have been given the OC job to begin with. I agree with you 100%. Devin Hester' career as a WR was ill served in Chicago.

I love Devin Hester and I wish him the best in Atlanta. I'm very sad that he won't break that TD record as a Bear but if Earl Bennett wasn't worth $2.45 mil then Devin Hester surely wasn't worth the $2.5 mil signing bonus plus another $900k or so in salary Atlanta is paying him to return punts and a few kickoffs. Not to the Bears. They may get some use out of him as a WR but once they try that his return game will suffer. We've already seen that too. I'm happy for Devin that he got his $3-$4 mil deal but there was no way he was worth that to the Bears any longer.
    • Like Like x 1
  17. Jimmors

Ratings:
    +4,289 / 8 / -6
    ßearz ßuckz:
    567ß
    I think we all love Devin and wish him the best, i hope he breaks the record, even if it comes against us when we play the Falcons. I also think that most of us are simply taking shots at the Falcons for paying him so much, this has more to do with them, than us.
    • Like Like x 2
  18. weneedmorelinemen

weneedmorelinemen Veteran

Ratings:
    +345 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    66ß
    You don't see what has happened? On no, it is upon us and the NFL is doomed.

Tice has perfected the Hester Package.
    • Like Like x 1
  19. JustAnotherBearsFan99

Ratings:
    +2,128 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    430ß
    Of course! It's the only explanation that makes sense. In that case, it's a brilliant move by the Falcons.......diabolical, but ya have to admit it is brilliant. Spawned by the evil minds of Mike Tice and his brilliant cohort, Lovie Smith - but just it had been just a madman's theory, never perfected (until now). I wonder if Lovie realizes Tice has perfected the dreaded "Hester Package" yet?

[​IMG]
    Last edited: Mar 23, 2014
    • Like Like x 1
  20. soulman

Ratings:
    +1,732 / 3 / -2
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,279ß
    LOL, beautiful!!!!

Yeah, it only took him two years to do it and now that he has he still has to find a way to get his OC to call the plays.

That's one of my favorite pics. Tice pointing out to Lovie his latest brainstorm for the offense and Lovie wearing his best Steve Urkel expression trying hard not to tell him what a complete idiot he is. Two guys now trying to coach 4-12 teams back to respectability. My money's on Lovie. At least he knew how to keep the other guys from scoring. Tice is probably still looking at game videos of JWebb trying to figure out where he went wrong thinking that reject from Overeaters Anonymous could ever play LT.