Devin Hester officially released?

Discussion in 'Chicago Bears' started by Grizzblue, Mar 5, 2014.

1. soulman

soulman Pro-Bowler SuperFan DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +1,912 / 7 / -3
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,760ß
    And that hits a lot closer the truth. With kickoffs moved up and so many TBs the opportunities to break a big one there are sparse and even though he had a record amount of KOR yardage that was mostly because of all the points the D gave up. He had two TD on PRs (one called back) and that was even more incredible considering he didn't even have enough returns to qualify as one of leaders and again we can point to the D for a reason. How many 3rd down stops did they make? (pathetic wasn't it?)

I'm still a believer in his insane abilities and I think at the very least they should have made him an offer to stay, but they didn't so he'll end up breaking the record elsewhere and that's a shame. The Bears signed this kid Chris Williams at the end of last season and he's known as the Canadian Devin Hester. I hope so because some of Trestman's "Canadian Connections" haven't done so well so far. I'm sure the kid has some skills but before everybody wets their pants over him remember the CFL field is much wider than an NFL field and small fast guys who do well ther utterly fail in the NFL so well see.

He's also a WR so I'm thinking we've got a Dexter McCluster clone more than a Devin Hester clone.
  2. soulman

Ratings:
    +1,912 / 7 / -3
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,760ß
    And according to ARS imaginary lovers never let you down and never disagree. ;)

Everyone should have one. :wank: :rofl2:
    • Funny Funny x 1
  3. soulman

Ratings:
    +1,912 / 7 / -3
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,760ß
    What pay Phil? They didn't even make him an offer at a vet minimum of $840k. You mean you don't think anyone else will bring him in for that just to see if he's still got some of that old magic left? I do. I'm sure he wasn't expecting another $2.1 mil paycheck but he was probably expecting something from your namesake.

He's going for a record he wants all to himself and he'll get it. It just won't be here. They misused him offensively his entire career. He might have been a good to very good Slot Receiver working the middle of the field but he was never gonna be a #1 WR or a Flanker. He couldn't run routes or adjust to the ball well enough. That's on JA and on Lovie or whoever was the OC of the moment if he never talked them out of that insane plan.
  4. DaTreeBears

DaTreeBears Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +677 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    373ß
    That means someone is going get a steal when they pick'em for for their ST. My opinion is he fumbled to much for how little he had ball last year and was not worth the cost. Now if you can get him for a bargain basement price that could be different.
  5. riczaj01

riczaj01 DaBears Ditka DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +3,076 / 9 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,151ß
    Dallas and the Jets will look at him if only for the spectical of it
    TB and KC might want him b/c there are coaches there that know him and might want what he brings to the table for another 1-2 years.

Other then that I don't think he's going to get a ton of looks. He's a 30yr old KR/PR w/no other position, that's going to be a hard sell for most teams.
  6. Rogelio

Rogelio Veteran

Ratings:
    +129 / 1 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    64ß
    I imagine they didn't offer him $840,000 because they figured it would be insulting, and they knew he would get more elsewhere. He won't break the bank with his new contract, but he'll get considerably more than that.
    • Like Like x 1
  7. short faced bear

short faced bear Assistant Head Coach DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +1,198 / 0 / -2
    ßearz ßuckz:
    101ß
    He'll break the record soon. I always do the "what if" scenario with Hester. As in what if he was never a wr and the old kickoff rule was still in effect. A fun conjecture would be if the Bears had the resources and Toub went out and acquired Cribbs.
    --I'll wake up from dreaming now :7_11_1[1]:
  8. The Benjamin

The Benjamin George Halas Staff Member

Ratings:
    +1,947 / 7 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,002ß
  9. The Benjamin

The Benjamin George Halas Staff Member

Ratings:
    +1,947 / 7 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,002ß
  10. JoeBear

JoeBear Rookie

Ratings:
    +31 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    17ß
    I just hope that his record breaking run doesn't come against us. I know this is a financial move, but Hester still can play. The problem is they were paying him like a WR. The value of kick returners has been greatly diminished by rules changes, but teams still need special team to win. Did anybody watch the last SB?
  11. soulman

Ratings:
    +1,912 / 7 / -3
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,760ß
    The Bears post a thank you to Devin for gracefully announcing his departure! Gee whiz. How many of you guys think it was just really, really top flight of them to thank a guy the just fired. Anyone ever had an employer do that for you? Paul, we'd like to thank you for letting all your friends and family know so nicely that you've been fired.

Fuck you Phil! What a horses ass. :10_6_7[1]:
  12. soulman

Ratings:
    +1,912 / 7 / -3
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,760ß
    Nonsense. He never worried about insulting Urlacher or Izzy last year did he Rog? Emery only paid lip service to it and then turned around and did it anyway. The point is that didn't even make that offer which says only one thing. We don't want you back.

I doubt there'll be all that many suitors for him and he's already come and said he'd love to go to TB and play for Lovie whom he called his number one coach. I know a lot of fans don't see this pattern of Emery's yet but sooner or later you all will.
  13. BearJim

BearJim Veteran SuperFan DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +153 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    35ß
    Hester is my daughters favorite player. She wears his jersery that we bought her for Christmas years ago every game, so it will be tough to see him in another jersery. But it is what it is.

On the bright side here is a highlight reel of Chris Williams. I know it's a bigger field but the boy has skills & not just as a returner!

• Like Like x 1
  14. butkus3595

butkus3595 Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +600 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    316ß
    What would have been insulting to urlacher is if he got more somewhere else. The bears offered him 2 million more dollars than any other team did.
  15. 4dabers

4dabers Veteran DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +744 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    85ß
    • Agree Agree x 1
  16. BearJim

BearJim Veteran SuperFan DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +153 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    35ß
    We could use a smaller fast, quick type slot receiver as well. I guess the Bears feel @ this stage in Hester's career, this kid is younger, faster & a better WR. I'll miss Hester but I hope Williams becomes a big play guy for us on ST & offense.
    • Like Like x 1
  17. JustAnotherBearsFan99

JustAnotherBearsFan99 Coordinator SuperFan DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +2,443 / 3 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    886ß

The guy sounds amazing, and he's only 26 years old. I hope he is better than Hester in one particular area. Hester was so gifted but he made a lot of mental mistakes too. I hope this Williams guy makes better decisions with the ball. I'm not slamming Hester here. Just hoping the new guy doesn't make those plays that hurt us (the mental errors).
  18. short faced bear

short faced bear Assistant Head Coach DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +1,198 / 0 / -2
    ßearz ßuckz:
    101ß
    Yep, Id sure to like to see this guy in pre-season at slot and KR.
  19. Jimmors

Jimmors The Rhymenoceros Staff Member SuperFan

Ratings:
    +4,498 / 8 / -6
    ßearz ßuckz:
    807ß
    They didnt fire him, he is a FA. they simply chose not to offer him a new contract, since he was being paid too much as just a returner.
    • Like Like x 1
  20. VJ18

VJ18 Veteran

Ratings:
    +80 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    17ß
    Mmmmm I can see this Williams kid in the slot pulling a Mike Wallace type role...
    Cutler "Hey bro just run as fast as you can down field and lookup in the end zone" haha
    • Like Like x 2