Devin Hester unlikely to return to Chicago Bears

Discussion in 'Chicago Bears' started by JustAnotherBearsFan99, Mar 4, 2014.

1. MPbears68

MPbears68 Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +1,474 / 2 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    504ß
    Why anyone is surprised that Hester wasn't a priority retention this year is beyond me.
  2. BearJim

BearJim Veteran SuperFan DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +167 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    66ß
    I agree Soul. I still think he can be a top returner. He did all you mentioned with a lot of backup ST players due to all the injuries. Maybe if no one goes after him we resign him cheap? Probably not but I hope so.
  3. BearJim

Ratings:
    +167 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    66ß
    It depends on how hot she is!
    • Like Like x 2
  4. soulman

soulman Pro-Bowler SuperFan DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +1,914 / 7 / -3
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,761ß
    Yeah, well that was all about JA an Lovie trying to find a politically correct way to justify the contract they just gave him even though he never earned a lot of the last dollars that were tied to him becoming and staying the #1 WR. I still believe if they would have moved him into the slot and gave him short easy routes to run to openings in the zone where he could use his speed and moves in the open to just bust off big plays then he may have been a productive guy as a receiver. No All Pro but a guy who made teams account for him. But they kept him out on the edge or at flanker and he never learned how to adjust his routes in coverage or how to adjust properly to off target throws and when you play those positions you have to have that skill. He didn't.

He's just one more example of a guy who wasn't used to his maximum potential as an offensive player. Yep, they have been better off just letting him return kicks and punts. He might have 30 by now of they'd have done it.
  5. soulman

Ratings:
    +1,914 / 7 / -3
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,761ß
    LOL. All I can bring to mind at the moment is that scene between Jim Carrey and Lauren Hutton in Dumb and Dumber when he asks her what his odds were of getting a date with her and she says "probably about one in a million", and he responds "so your saying there is a chance". :bah:

Actually I get turned down a lot but that's OK because if her standards are so low that she'd go out with me she's below my station anyway. :smilebig:
    • Like Like x 1
  6. Bearstuff

Bearstuff Yes, in the woods. Staff Member SuperFan

Ratings:
    +1,227 / 3 / -3
    ßearz ßuckz:
    602ß
    How would anyone know if Hester was made an offer or not? Informal discussion?

I just don't buy the conspiracy theory stuff. I don't think Emery would have any problem keeping a player that fit what he wanted, regardless of who drafted him.
    • Like Like x 2
  7. soulman

Ratings:
    +1,914 / 7 / -3
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,761ß
    Well that's a good point but Hester isn't one to keep his feelings in so if asked he'd probably tell the truth and the article this discussion was derived from claimed that no offer was made and that he would be hitting the bricks after this weekend. Since Phil and Trestman don't discuss contract issue that leaves either Hester or it's just a guess.

As far as Emery and his ways I'd have to say in this case that Hester is still a productive player at the very least and a top KOR/PR at his best so the reality is somewhere in between. Surely the guy is worth at least a vet minimum offer that won't all count against the cap if that could be done but the Bears (Emery) seems to think not. Cest la vie.

I think what I'm saying here is that I see a pattern that involves the Lovie Smith admiration society. I've been saying it for almost a year now and although that doesn't make me correct somehow that pattern seems to continue uninterrupted. If I am correct then Peanut will be gone next, very possibly Melton (but that won't break my heart because we can replace him in this draft), from the looks of it Wootton is gonna be allowed to hit FA, and a little later on Pep will leave. Roach, Urlacher and Izzy all went last year.

So if it does fall this way just how many of the starters from that 2012 defense are left? Briggs, Jennings and Paea and maybe Collins? You can call it a conspiracy if you like but a conspiracy by it's definition requires more than one person to be involved and from my point of view this is all on Emery so I just see it as a pattern. Let's see how it goes this year.

:cheers:
  8. BSBEARS

BSBEARS Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +919 / 4 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,081ß
    Roach and Wootton you could maybe make an argument with the others are older and replacable. Roach got offered a huge deal by the Raiders and was not a starter for the Bears at the time. Hard pressed to justify the $5M a year the Raiders gave him. Wootton is definetely a need and I can not explain why they are not trying to sign him unless they are trying to determine market value, they may just be to far apart on his value and letting the market decide his value. Other than his injury I have a hard time explaining why Wootton has not been re-signed. He may be a conspiaracy theory you could convince people on. The others could mostly be explained for age and end of there careers.
    • Like Like x 2
  9. Henry Burris

Henry Burris Head Coach

Ratings:
    +2,613 / 8 / -10
    ßearz ßuckz:
    673ß
    Not arguing, but I'm pretty sure he had 2 called back last year. I'm going to guess what Emery's intentions are, but with the KR being less of an importance these days, I'm just hoping they're gonna let him test FA and he'll decide to come back home.
    • Like Like x 2
  10. riczaj01

riczaj01 DaBears Ditka DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +3,584 / 10 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,782ß

30 yr old KR/PR w/no other position is merely no longer a need/option when you pay your qb 20+mil a year, much like McCown and Wootton and others unless they are willing to come back at the payday you can afford.

I'm assuming they have reached out to Wootton's people and let them know what they can offer, which is why Wootton is going to test the market; and hell even if he likes but isn't blown away w/the offer why wouldn't he test the market regardless?

As for Hester I loved the Windy City Flyer, but the rules and team are not there to support him and he's now not only lost a step, but he's now got the pressure of trying to break the record hovering over him and you can see him trying to push sometimes, it's just time to move one. The fact that he was one of the main reasons the NFL changed their kicking rules should allow him at least the conversation of being a HoF'r.
    • Like Like x 2
  11. BearJim

Ratings:
    +167 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    66ß
    A true classic.
  12. Bearstuff

Bearstuff Yes, in the woods. Staff Member SuperFan

Ratings:
    +1,227 / 3 / -3
    ßearz ßuckz:
    602ß
    Good point Ric - the rules have changed, making kick returns less likely (much less taking it "to the house").....meaning Hester's effect on the game is even more limited. All of that, IMO, adds up to a vet minimum type of contract offer.....and Hester isn't going to take that. He won't remember the signing bonus he got and the higher base salary for years and see the scales tipped away from him. He will only focus on the next paycheck.
  13. MPbears68

MPbears68 Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +1,474 / 2 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    504ß
    Vet minimum only. That's all he's worth at this point. Frankly, I was surprised he was back last year. Two things killed short Hester's career.
    The dumb rule moving KOs forward 5 yards. And...
    The fact that he's been unable over the years to make himself valuable in ANY other way than returns.
  14. Ojibway Bob

Ojibway Bob Veteran SuperFan

Ratings:
    +102 / 0 / -1
    ßearz ßuckz:
    102ß
    You think and I hate to say it that what ever team he goes to that when/if he plays against us next time that we let him slip by us for the record? Seeing how he was ripped off last season
  15. riczaj01

riczaj01 DaBears Ditka DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +3,584 / 10 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,782ß
    Devin Hester on Facebook gave a heartfelt goodbye to Chicago fans. So he won't be returning for Chicago.
  16. MPbears68

MPbears68 Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +1,474 / 2 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    504ß
    That's a classy move by a guy who was adored by millions of Bears fans. I wish him well and hope he smashes the record, just not against us. Unfortunately, he was a luxury retention not a vital one and this team has way more needs that need to be addressed with limited resources to afford a pure KR/PR beyond his prime who adds nothing beyond that.
    • Like Like x 2