Did you hate the Angler? Jerry Angelo's 2011 draft class...

Discussion in 'Chicago Bears' started by BradMustersGhost, May 21, 2014.

1. BradMustersGhost

BradMustersGhost Veteran

Ratings:
    +355 / 1 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    330ß
    Ranked DEAD LAST 3 years later, lol. Guys, like it or not, drafts like this have prevented us from catching up with the Packers over the course of the last several seasons. When Conte is the lone "bright spot" in a class...well, you know that you're in trouble. On a positive note, it's drafts like this which ultimately got JA fired!

32. Chicago Bears (5 picks)

1 (29) OT Gabe Carimi, Wisconsin; 2 (53) DT Stephen Paea, Oregon State; 3 (93) S Chris Conte, California; 5 (160) QB Nathan Enderle, Idaho; 6 (195) LB J.T. Thomas, West Virginia

The good: While he has had some struggles, S Chris Conte has been a starter and will likely be the Bears starting FS in 2014. He had off-season shoulder surgery and isn't exactly a fan favorite after an up-and-down performance last season, but Conte set career-bests in 2013 with 89 tackles and three interceptions.

The bad: One of four first-round players from the 2011 class not currently on the team that drafted him, OT Gab Carimi started two games in 2011 before a knee injury sideline him. He returned in 2012, but disappointed and was later traded to Tampa Bay, who cut him after the 2013 season. The Falcons recently signed him for depth. Considering the fact that Carimi was supposed to be an All-Pro anchor on the Bears OL for years to come, he ranks as one of the 2011 draft's top busts!

Jury still out: After a slow start as a rookie, DT Stephen Paea has been a solid player for the Bears, but his career has been very non-descript and not what Chicago expected after drafting him in the second round. The Bears drafted two tackles in 2014 (Ego Ferguson, Will Sutton) so maybe that will light a fire under the enigmatic Paea.
    Re-grade: D-
    Last edited: May 21, 2014
  2. BradMustersGhost

BradMustersGhost Veteran

Ratings:
    +355 / 1 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    330ß
  3. Ski-Whiz

Ski-Whiz George Halas Staff Member

Ratings:
    +976 / 1 / -2
    ßearz ßuckz:
    562ß
    this makes me want to punch JA!
  4. BradMustersGhost

BradMustersGhost Veteran

Ratings:
    +355 / 1 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    330ß

So what did you think of the article and ranking, Ski-Whiz?
  5. Ski-Whiz

Ratings:
    +976 / 1 / -2
    ßearz ßuckz:
    562ß
    When you list the "Good" part of the draft as Conte Starting, well, that makes me want to punch JA in the face! lol

Conte is THAT bad!!! Not to turn this into a Conte bashing, but that guy is affraid to tackle, and can't find the ball. I don't know if we deserve #32, but we are for sure in the bottom 5.
  6. BradMustersGhost

BradMustersGhost Veteran

Ratings:
    +355 / 1 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    330ß
    "Bottom Line: With only 5 picks, Chicago had to be as judicious as possible with their draft selections. Instead, the Bears completely whiffed on 3 of those selections (including their 1st round choice), and managed to secure nothing more than 2 average/mediocre defensive contributors."
    • Like Like x 1
  7. BradMustersGhost

BradMustersGhost Veteran

Ratings:
    +355 / 1 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    330ß

I agree Ski. I laughed (to keep from crying) when I saw Conte listed as the strongest/best selection of that draft class, lol. 2011 saw yet another "classic" Angelo 1st round bust/disappointment.
  8. DaTreeBears

DaTreeBears Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +712 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    427ß
    The Raiders had better grade then JA. So why do reporters continue to ask this clown anything about his thoughts on draft picks by the Bears or that matter any team? By far the biggest dumb ass clown of a GM that ever existed and what a clown like this does is he brings in other clowns to help run the team. He makes Jerry Jones look like brilliant GM and that is almost impossible to do.
    • Like Like x 1
  9. Papa_Bear_7

Papa_Bear_7 Veteran

Ratings:
    +118 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    48ß
    :10 2 7[1]::10 4 1[1]::10 5 135[1]::3 8 14[1]::sick::shoot7:

^^^^^^How I feel about JA and his drafts.
  10. JustAnotherBearsFan99

JustAnotherBearsFan99 Coordinator SuperFan DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +3,021 / 4 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,723ß
    Jerry Angelo was a very mediocre GM who put too much mediocre talent on the field. If you look at this entire body of work for the Chicago Bears, his teams during his tenure were 98-85 including playoff games. We won division championships 4 times. One of his teams made the Super Bowl. Bears players made 16 Pro Bowl appearances during his tenure.

There are worse GM's for sure, and there obviously are better ones. He was somewhere in the middle. The defining word I come up with is "mediocrity" was his crime here.

I don't hate the guy. I'm just glad he's gone.
    Last edited: May 21, 2014
  11. 4dabers

4dabers Veteran DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +747 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    90ß
    The former GM lovingly known to us all as JA made some major blunders in his tenure; remember how we lost Rosie Colvin? However, Rosie didn't do too much after leaving Chicago, but to his credit, I'll put most of the blame to a severe hip injury he had in his first year with the Pats.

However, old JA knew the necessity of a good O-Line and he proved how important it was by the moves he made early in his time with Chicago. Remember our O-Line in our 2006 SB run (John Tait, Reuben Brown, Olin Kreutz, Roberto Garza, Fred Miller). Not exactly star studded, but better than we would have for years after that, and they got the job done. Lest we forget, he also drafted Marc Colombo with the 29th pick in the 2002 draft (ironically, the exact same spot he selected Carimi and ended up with an eerily similar injury, both in their rookie year), so he knew how important it was.

Like most GM's old JA had some major hits and some boneheaded misses, but this is common among ALL GM's. Some ARE better at judging talent than others and some are just lucky/unlucky. The real road to JA's downfall was after the 2006 season, and that is when public opinion of his Head Coach was at an all time high and said Head Coach was given much more latitude and input on personnel decisions. So, I'll grant everyone the right to hate on the old GM because I'm right there with ya; all I'm saying is that some of that hate is misplaced.
  12. short faced bear

short faced bear Assistant Head Coach DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +1,275 / 0 / -2
    ßearz ßuckz:
    221ß
    JA left this team way behind the 8 ball. His inability to draft ANY OL for years on end should have been a giant red flag. Getting Martz and Tice should have at least had his feet in hot water. At the time, I gave the 2011 draft a B but did not know about Carimi's injury. I expected more from Paea esp. with Rod coaching him. All those reps at the combine haven't really translated into better on the field play. And I don't know where Conte is going play wise.

Revised grade D-
  13. Bearstuff

Bearstuff Yes, in the woods. Staff Member SuperFan

Ratings:
    +1,227 / 3 / -3
    ßearz ßuckz:
    602ß
    JA's whole mantra (unspoken) was to minimize risks. He would go out of his way to avoid someone who might have a low floor (aside from injury, obviously)...and in doing so he would settle for someone who also didn't have a very high ceiling. He did better with his FA work than the draft, in part because a FA has more "knowns". Because of this FA penchant, he frequently left the Bears with cap issues.

4Da got it right though, his real mistake was going "all in" with Lovie, both on personnel and on coaching staff. I actually think Lovie would have been more successful if JA would have just kept the coach out of the front office.

Anyway......I think this is the last time I'll discuss ole JA, or Lovie for that matter. It's time to move on.
    • Like Like x 2
  14. Ski-Whiz

Ratings:
    +976 / 1 / -2
    ßearz ßuckz:
    562ß
    I think the MAJOR reason most fans hate JA is because he put together some pretty decent teams.

His inability to make the obvious choices were his down fall.

The biggest ones were letting Lovie have a blank check. I mean the guy clearly hooked up his buddies regardless of whether or not we needed it. In fact he hurt us by doing so.

A GM should pressure the coach into making decisions. Let's face it, Lovie never made one!! Shit, I bet if you ask him he'd probably tell you "Rex is our starting quarterback."
  15. soulman

soulman Pro-Bowler SuperFan DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +1,914 / 7 / -3
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,761ß
    I can't agree more. IIRC this was the first draft in three years where we had a first round pick having given up those the previous two years for Cutler. This is as good an example as any why any draft rating that's made immediately following a draft is virtually useless. In this case the picks weren't all that bad in that they met three major needs we had but the results were pretty far off what any of us expected at the time.

I'm not gonna defend JA because I wasn't happy with many of his picks over the years but this particular draft, or at least the first three rounds, was as much bad luck as it was bad picks. At the time each seemed both a good value and a good fit for the positions we needed to fill. Most of us were pleased at the time and we couldn't have predicted the outcome would be as bad as it's been.

Carimi wasn't a reach. He was an Outland Trophy winner and one of the better OTs but surely not the LT we needed and that became pretty obvious very early on. Because of that knee injury, it's severity, and his slow recovery it's impossible to tell whether or not he'd have become a decent RT but he was never gonna be the LT he was drafted to be. It should be interesting to see if he ever does become a productive player like Colombo did after he finally won a starting spot in Dallas or whether Carimi just fades into oblivion. It sure didn't help any that he shot his mouth off about being the most NFL prepared OT in that draft and the never being able to back it up.

I don't believe Paea was overrated as a 2nd round pick either but he's not been able to stay completely healthy so it's hard to evaluate him thus far. I thought he'd shown some flashes of the reason we took him but he never seems to do it often enough. Whether that has to do with injuries or a lack to talent I can't say but he has the tools to be a good NT as far as strength and quickness. If he can't stay healthy and become a major contributor to the rotation this year then I suspect they won't re-sign him and we'll move on with Ferguson in that spot.

Conte isn't quite as bad as many believe he is but he's no prize either. Maybe he's another great example of what happens when you draft a player and then try to play him out of his usual position. He never had to handle the joint coverage and run prevention aspects of the game as a college CB the way he's had to as an NFL Safety but if it was all bad I doubt they'd still be willing to give him a shot at keeping his job. How much his shoulder surgery will affect that competition is anyone's guess but at worst he'll probably stick around for another year as a backup if he doesn't start.

So the first three picks weren't nearly as bad as the outcome has been but we sure didn't do ourselves any favors with the later picks either. Martz wanted Enderle but neither of them stuck around so that was a wasted pick. Thomas had some STeams ability and that's really about all you can expect out of a 6th round pick. If we hadn't spent two higher picks on LBs last year he might still have kept a roster spot playing on STeams but lost out as far as the numbers game goes.

So was it the worst draft in the NFL that year? Based on needs no but based on outcome it has to be near the bottom somewhere but then worst is a very subjective term and I'm not sure it makes all that much difference any longer. It sure wasn't one of the best and we needed it to be so if nothing else it was a catalyst for the change that brought in Emery. So even in the darkness a ray of sunshine appears. LOL
    • Agree Agree x 1
  16. Bearsinhouston

Bearsinhouston Position Coach

Ratings:
    +2,266 / 10 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,658ß
    I agree that if Conte is your only "the good" from the draft... then you are in serious trouble. Because "the good" is only "the mediocre" and then it takes a steep dive from there. Not pretty.
  17. soulman

Ratings:
    +1,914 / 7 / -3
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,761ß
    I think that was particularly true of his coaching staff. For every Rod Marinelli he had who could develop the talent he was given we had a Darryl Drake who did absolutely nothing but feather his own nest with lousy evaluations of the receivers he was coaching. Not a single player he had ever turned into a true #1 WR.

Actually the whole offensive staff routinely and perpetually stunk. In hindsight it's almost criminal to observe that the best offenses we had were under Ron Turner and he was the only OC who wasn't Lovie's choice to hire. That's pretty damn sad in itself but making Tice an OC had to be the straw that broke the camels back.

I've posted this before and I believe it's true. The top OC prospects out there often turned us down because they didn't want to work under Lovie. I believe they thought he was too inflexible to allow them to succeed in their own way and that they'd never get the players they needed as long as Lovie kept influencing JA to draft for defense.
  18. BSBEARS

BSBEARS Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +919 / 4 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,081ß
    Found an older article that looks back at all of Angelo's Bears drafts .

Angelo seemed to have bad luck with many early draft picks resulting from injury, some prior to the drafting of the player and some injuries post draft like Colombo, Tommie Harris, and Chris Williams had back problems before the draft. Another thing sticks out is the coaching staff was not very successful at developing talent especially on offense (Grossman, Metcalf, Benson). Several players had good rookie seasons and drifted to mediocrity (Vasher, Berrian, Mark Anderson). Then you have a few players like Briggs, Melton (prior to inj), Alex Brown,Tillman, Greg Olson, and Forte who worked out nicely. For all the players drafted overall talent was never developed much. You could probably start another debate on why we do not seem to develop players more. Anyway below is the body of work of JA as Bears draft guru.

The Bears fired general manager Jerry Angelo on Tuesday, and here's a look at each of his NFL draft classes along with my comment on the player's impact:
    1. OT Marc Colombo: Injured as Bear but became starter in Dallas.
    3a. CB Roosevelt Williams: Bust who lasted just one year
    3b. OG Terrence Metcalf: 7-year backup struggled as starter
    4a. DE Alex Brown: Long-time solid starter
    5a. S Bobby Gray: Stuck for a while as big hitter
    5b. LB Bryan Knight: Lasted 2 years, made no impact
    6a. RB Adrian Peterson: Solid backup, special teams star
    6b. WR Jamin Elliott: Marginal NFL player at best
    6c. TE Bryan Fletcher: Practice squad for 1 year
    1a. DL Michael Haynes: Classic example of a bust
    1b. QB Rex Grossman: Got Bears to Super Bowl; Redskins starter
    2. CB Charles Tillman: Long-time starter, now a Pro Bowler
    3. LB Lance Briggs: Selected to 7 straight Pro Bowls
    4a. S Todd Johnson: Backup for several years
    4b. DT Ian Scott: Role player for a couple years
    5a. WR Bobby Wade: 8-year career, 3 with Bears
    5b. WR Justin Gage: Occasional starter for Bears, Titans
    5c. DT Tron LaFavor: Lasted one year
    6a. LB Joe Odom: Looked like Tarzan, played like Jane
    6b. RB Brock Forsey: Brief starter in short career
    7. OG Bryan Anderson: College starter, NFL washout
    1. DT Tommie Harris: Injuries derailed 3-time Pro Bowler
    2. DT Tank Johnson: Solid starter with off-field problems
    3. WR Bernard Berrian: 2 productive years as deep threat
    4a. CB Nate Vasher: Spectacular in '05; mediocre otherwise
    4b. LB Leon Joe: That dog won't hunt
    5a. DE Claude Harriott: Blink and you missed his "career"
    5b. QB Craig Krenzel: Superior intellect; inferior player
    7. CB Alfonso Marshall: Lasted 1 year as special teams guy
    1. RB Cedric Benson: Multiple 1,000-yard seasons -- in Cincy
    2. WR Mark Bradley: He thought he was a star; no one agreed
    4. QB Kyle Orton: Part of Cutler trade; still serviceable starter
    5. WR Airese Currie: Track star whose career went up in smoke
    6. S Chris Harris: Physical hitter; starter in 2 stints with Bears
    7. LB Rod Wilson: Solid special teams player
    2a. S Danieal Manning: Star returner never as good as his tools
    2b. WR Devin Hester: Best all-time KR; disappointing as WR
    3. DT Dusty Dvoracek: Flashed talent but injuries took toll
    4. LB Jamar Williams: Special-teamer and fringe backup
    5. DE Mark Anderson: Never matched 12-sack rookie season
    6a. RB J.D. Runnels: Hurt a lot; played very little
    6b. OG Tyler Reed: Looked and played like a furniture mover
    1. TE Greg Olsen: Productive receiver, traded to Panthers
    2. DE Dan Bazuin: Bust who couldn't overcome injuries
    3a. RB Garrett Wolfe: Biggest contributions were on S-T
    3b. LB Michael Okwo: Couldn't play a lick
    4. OG Josh Beekman: Failed in only season as a starter
    5a. S Kevin Payne: Great in '08, then he disappeared
    5b. CB Corey Graham: Pro Bowl special-teamer, solid backup
    7a. CB Trumaine McBride: Enjoyed some early success
    7b. OT Aaron Brant: Never even got his feet wet
    1. OL Chris Williams: Marginal starter ended season on I.R.
    2. RB Matt Forte: Pro Bowler; Angelo's best offensive pick
    3a. WR Earl Bennett: Solid possession guy has shown flashes
    3c. DT Marcus Harrison: Fat and lazy no way to go through life
    4. S Craig Steltz: Coming off best season, started last 4 games
    5a. CB Zack Bowman: Starter in '09 played way out of lineup
    5c. TE Kellen Davis: Strong blocker led team with 5 TD catches
    7a. DE Ervin Baldwin: Good college pass rusher who flopped
    7b. OG Chester Adams: One of many OL's lacking in NFL talent
    7c. LB Joey LaRocque: Brief stay as special teamer
    7d. OT Kirk Barton: See Chester Adams
    7e. WR Marcus Monk: Better basketball player
    3b. DT Jarron Gilbert: Better in pool than on field
    3c. WR Juaquin Iglesias: Good college player lacked special skills
    4a. DT Henry Melton: Coming off breakout season with 7 sacks
    4b. CB D.J. Moore: Valuable, little nickel guy makes big plays
    5a. WR Johnny Knox: Big-play guy must overcome back injury
    5b. LB Marcus Freeman: Smart guy who couldn't play
    6. S Al Afalava: Flavor of the month who quickly fizzled
    7b. OL Lance Louis: 2011 ORT starter who belongs at OG
    7c. WR Derek Kinder: Big and physical, but not very good
    3. S Major Wright: Hurt a lot; hasn't put it all together yet
    4. DE Corey Wootton: Hasn't done much; make or break in 2012
    5. CB Joshua Moore: Practice squadder running out of time
    6. QB Dan LeFevour: Should've kept him instead of Caleb Hanie
    7. OT J'Marcus Webb: OLT starter had ups and downs in 2011
    1. OT Gabe Carimi: Looked like real deal until knee injury
    2. DT Stephen Paea: Showed flashes but needs to do more
    3. S Chris Conte: Ankle injury derailed promising season
    5. QB Nathan Enderle: Never got a chance but could move up
    6. LB J.T. Thomas: Latest in long line of LB's who can't play
    7. RB Harvey Unga: Harvey, we hardly knew ye.
    • Like Like x 1
  19. 4dabers

4dabers Veteran DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +747 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    90ß
    Yea, I think I agree with you. I'm too excited about our future to dwell on the shortcomings of our past.
  20. soulman

Ratings:
    +1,914 / 7 / -3
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,761ß
    2003 and 2004 where about as good as it got for JA. It gets spottier after that but he still managed to pull a few starters out of the other years following those and a couple to top notch picks like Forte and Melton. Injuries hurt in some cases but he just missed too often early in each draft and we ended up getting older without any top caliber subs to step in.

Nice post brother but when I see some of those names I think "ouch", WTF was he thinking? I guess we can slough off some of the blame to the scouts. Emery cleaned house there after he took over so at least some of the problems had to be emanating from there. I mean how in the blue hell did they manage to recommend some of these guys who really couldn't even play the game? What did they see in a Michael Okwo or a Mark Bradley or Juan Iglesias and Jarron Gilbert that said these guys are NFL material deserving of being top two or top three picks.

No wonder we never had much of an offense. JA couldn't draft an OL or a WR who could play in the NFL to save his soul and his QB picks turned out to be little more than backup caliber guys. When I look this over I see some really horrible offensive picks made in rounds 2-5 and those are the spots were a team should be getting good young core players.