Did you hate the Angler? Jerry Angelo's 2011 draft class...

Discussion in 'Chicago Bears' started by BradMustersGhost, May 21, 2014.

1. BradMustersGhost

ßearz ßuckz:
    447ß
    Please Register or Log in to Remove this Advertisement!
    Ranked DEAD LAST 3 years later, lol. Guys, like it or not, drafts like this have prevented us from catching up with the Packers over the course of the last several seasons. When Conte is the lone "bright spot" in a class...well, you know that you're in trouble. On a positive note, it's drafts like this which ultimately got JA fired!

32. Chicago Bears (5 picks)

1 (29) OT Gabe Carimi, Wisconsin; 2 (53) DT Stephen Paea, Oregon State; 3 (93) S Chris Conte, California; 5 (160) QB Nathan Enderle, Idaho; 6 (195) LB J.T. Thomas, West Virginia

The good: While he has had some struggles, S Chris Conte has been a starter and will likely be the Bears starting FS in 2014. He had off-season shoulder surgery and isn't exactly a fan favorite after an up-and-down performance last season, but Conte set career-bests in 2013 with 89 tackles and three interceptions.

The bad: One of four first-round players from the 2011 class not currently on the team that drafted him, OT Gab Carimi started two games in 2011 before a knee injury sideline him. He returned in 2012, but disappointed and was later traded to Tampa Bay, who cut him after the 2013 season. The Falcons recently signed him for depth. Considering the fact that Carimi was supposed to be an All-Pro anchor on the Bears OL for years to come, he ranks as one of the 2011 draft's top busts!

Jury still out: After a slow start as a rookie, DT Stephen Paea has been a solid player for the Bears, but his career has been very non-descript and not what Chicago expected after drafting him in the second round. The Bears drafted two tackles in 2014 (Ego Ferguson, Will Sutton) so maybe that will light a fire under the enigmatic Paea.
    Re-grade: D-

#1 BradMustersGhost, May 21, 2014
    Last edited: May 21, 2014
  2. BradMustersGhost

ßearz ßuckz:
    447ß
  3. Ski-Whiz

Ski-Whiz George Halas
    Staff Member

ßearz ßuckz:
    1,221ß
    this makes me want to punch JA!

4. BradMustersGhost

ßearz ßuckz:
    447ß

So what did you think of the article and ranking, Ski-Whiz?

5. Ski-Whiz

Ski-Whiz George Halas
    Staff Member

ßearz ßuckz:
    1,221ß
    When you list the "Good" part of the draft as Conte Starting, well, that makes me want to punch JA in the face! lol

Conte is THAT bad!!! Not to turn this into a Conte bashing, but that guy is affraid to tackle, and can't find the ball. I don't know if we deserve #32, but we are for sure in the bottom 5.

6. BradMustersGhost

ßearz ßuckz:
    447ß
    "Bottom Line: With only 5 picks, Chicago had to be as judicious as possible with their draft selections. Instead, the Bears completely whiffed on 3 of those selections (including their 1st round choice), and managed to secure nothing more than 2 average/mediocre defensive contributors."

• Like Like x 1
  7. BradMustersGhost

ßearz ßuckz:
    447ß

I agree Ski. I laughed (to keep from crying) when I saw Conte listed as the strongest/best selection of that draft class, lol. 2011 saw yet another "classic" Angelo 1st round bust/disappointment.

8. DaTreeBears

DaTreeBears Pro-Bowler

ßearz ßuckz:
    587ß
    The Raiders had better grade then JA. So why do reporters continue to ask this clown anything about his thoughts on draft picks by the Bears or that matter any team? By far the biggest dumb ass clown of a GM that ever existed and what a clown like this does is he brings in other clowns to help run the team. He makes Jerry Jones look like brilliant GM and that is almost impossible to do.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Papa_Bear_7

Papa_Bear_7 Veteran

ßearz ßuckz:
    108ß
    :10 2 7[1]::10 4 1[1]::10 5 135[1]::3 8 14[1]::sick::shoot7:

^^^^^^How I feel about JA and his drafts.

10. JustAnotherBearsFan99

JustAnotherBearsFan99 Assistant Head Coach
    SuperFan DBS Writer

ßearz ßuckz:
    4,752ß
    Jerry Angelo was a very mediocre GM who put too much mediocre talent on the field. If you look at this entire body of work for the Chicago Bears, his teams during his tenure were 98-85 including playoff games. We won division championships 4 times. One of his teams made the Super Bowl. Bears players made 16 Pro Bowl appearances during his tenure.

There are worse GM's for sure, and there obviously are better ones. He was somewhere in the middle. The defining word I come up with is "mediocrity" was his crime here.

I don't hate the guy. I'm just glad he's gone.

#10 JustAnotherBearsFan99, May 21, 2014
    Last edited: May 21, 2014