Did you hate the Angler? Jerry Angelo's 2011 draft class...

Discussion in 'Chicago Bears' started by BradMustersGhost, May 21, 2014.

1. Bearstuff

Bearstuff Yes, in the woods. Staff Member SuperFan

Ratings:
    +1,198 / 3 / -3
    ßearz ßuckz:
    573ß
    BSBears, I think your comments were better than most of those players.
  2. soulman

soulman Pro-Bowler SuperFan DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +1,914 / 7 / -3
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,760ß
    Unfortunately even that didn't work because some of those higher picks in rounds 2-5 had floors that started in the basement as far as their NFL skills go. Injuries hurt him with some of his first round picks but man he missed so completely on many of those others that we had lousy depth and in some cases we never found NFL caliber talent to replace aging starters.
  3. JustAnotherBearsFan99

JustAnotherBearsFan99 Coordinator SuperFan DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +2,660 / 3 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,160ß
    I agree with most of the assessments here in the thread. I'd add that I don't think JA and Lovie (neither one) understood how to build an offense. The people they brought in were never going to be a shadow of what Emery did in 2 years here. Emery brought in an elite WR almost immediately. Emery backed that up with quality players all over (both through the draft like Alshon, and FA, like M.Bennett). Emery understood it was critically important to put a solid OL in place. JA didn't do any of this (other than he did cobble together an OL for a year or two that wasn't bad). And JA did try to draft OL in the first round in Chris Williams and Carimi......but he missed on both of them.
    Last edited: May 21, 2014
  4. DaTreeBears

DaTreeBears Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +691 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    395ß
    All this proves is a frick'n monkey throwing darts could do just as good. If this is considered mediocre wow I would hate to see bad and I really could be a GM if this is the standard I have to beat. Ask Lovie what his draft plan was this year, it was to copy everything the Bears have done since they fired him.
  5. JustAnotherBearsFan99

JustAnotherBearsFan99 Coordinator SuperFan DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +2,660 / 3 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,160ß
    I consider "bad" as the GM's of teams who dwell in the cellar of the NFL year after year. Two, three and four win seasons (or worse, like the 0-16 Lions). JA did "mediocre" with 4 Division Championships, a Super Bowl appearance, 16 Pro Bowl player appearances during his tenure. It wasn't enough. We definitely need better. But don't kid yourself, there is worse than JA in the NFL.
  6. BSBEARS

BSBEARS Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +828 / 4 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    869ß
    I think Lovie is insecure, he had two good coaches in Marinelli and Rivera. Rivera he promptly fired because he was getting more press and interest than Lovie could deal with and Marinelli was a line coach who screwed up so bad in Detroit he was happy going back to being a line coach and rejuvenating himself, and they had the Tampa connection where they started together. Not sure why but Lovie just did not seem to trust others that much, not sure if he was protecting his own ass or if it goes deeper.

If Lovie would have brought in a Offensive Coordinator who was a true QB guru like a Trestman or Bruce Ariens or McCoy current San Diego HC back in the early 2004 time frame and entrusted them with the offense he would probably have had a few Super Bowls to his credit. Although I believe the cover 2 has outlived its useful purpose I do admit Lovie made it work and normally had a well above average defensive rank, (didn't look it up_ but seems normally in top 10). I hope Lovie has learned from his mistakes and atleast he now has an Offensive Coordinator in Jeff Tedford who potentially has the ability to create an offensive scheme and make it work. As long as his insecurities do not get in the way and they continue to bring in young talent on both sides of the ball he may do ok in Tampa. Tampa is where he started with Dungy and Marinelli, and hopefully he took his year off and analyzed his strengths and weaknesses as a coach and as a person. They had a good offseason, drafted a big receivers to mimic the bears receivers that McCown had success with, and worked to build both the offense and defense. I am not a big Lovie fan as he screwed the pooch in Chicago but many first time coaches need to be removed and have the time to reflect on what went right and what went wrong. I think it will be interesting to watch Tampa the next few years and see what if anything was learned. First impressions for the offseason is positive, have to see what happens when they hit the field.
    • Like Like x 1
  7. soulman

Ratings:
    +1,914 / 7 / -3
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,760ß
    Yeah I got a kick out of it when they actually interviewed Angelo for his views on how to draft and what he told them was almost the exact opposite of what he did.
  8. soulman

Ratings:
    +1,914 / 7 / -3
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,760ß
    JA had an idea of what to do about the offense but always stopped short of completing the process. He got the part about building from the inside out when he built that line that played in the Super Bowl but the skill positions weren't nearly what they should have been. TJ was a good RB but JA got boxed into needing to keep Benson and we never had the level of talent or depth we needed for a good passing game.

He just missed on too many draft picks and failed to restock the core positions on the team and when you draft 3 OTs in 10 years and not one of them gives you anywhere near the service you'd expect from a 1st round pick there's just a little more than bad luck at work there. He had some very good draft picks but not enough to keep the team on top and with the exception of Peppers and maybe Jennings most of his FA signings were a total waste and wouldn't even have been needed if his drafts had produced better results.

But that's the past. We paid the price for mediocre personnel management with mediocre results. From what I can tell so far those days seem to be over. If we fail now it won't be due to a lack of player talent.
    • Agree Agree x 1