Distribution of Playing Time on Defense....

Discussion in 'Chicago Bears' started by DavidL, Nov 11, 2013.

1. DavidL

DavidL Pro-Bowler SuperFan

Ratings:
    +745 / 6 / -24
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,178ß
    This guy makes a good case for giving Peppers fewer snaps and CornWash more. The stat on Bush's running yardage in second half is a good indicator that Tucker is not managing playing time. As I have been saying for weeks, if all our DL is playing poorly (which they are), then let's have an "all hands on deck" rotation so that these guys are not exhausted in 4Q when opponent is making their final game-winning scoring drive (read: Redskins and Lions)...

http://www.windycitygridiron.com/20...ars-snap-count-breakdown-vs-the-detroit-lions
  2. riczaj01

riczaj01 DaBears Ditka DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +3,583 / 10 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,782ß
    If he's saying Pepp less and Corn more, then he's not making a good case. Corn got a whopping 1 sack yesterday in backup role playing....I'll take everything Peppers does that isn't stat related over Corn doing 1 thing an entire game.
    • Like Like x 1
  3. DavidL

Ratings:
    +745 / 6 / -24
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,178ß
    Here's what they posted about Bass...

"Waddle was matched up against rookie seventh-round pick David Bass for most of the game and utterly dominated him. The right tackle didn’t allow a single pressure and showed great power in the running game. Two games don’t make a season, but Waddle is off to the best start of any rookie tackle in the NFL so far."

That's about how I saw it. For both of them, if they are not getting to the QB and they aren't making tackles, then whatever you mean by "not stat-related" can't count for much. I commented last week that Peppers is not hustling to the whistle on every play. After reading this article, i think I know why. At age 33 and knowing they are going to leave him on the field for nearly every snap, he "paces" himself like a boxer going 15 rounds. CornWash was only on the field for 6 snaps, but he made two good moves and hustled to the whistle on every play. When Ratliff is ready to play, the Bears would have a better defense if Peppers, McClellin, Woottton, CornWash, and Bass all got some playing time at DE so that each could play "all out" effort on EVERY snap. Are we getting that now for four quarters, or are these guys playing 92% of the snaps tiring from the long, sustained drives against, as Bears give up more yardage than nearly any team in the NFL?
  4. Henry Burris

Henry Burris Head Coach

Ratings:
    +2,613 / 8 / -10
    ßearz ßuckz:
    672ß
    You're really taking this too far with the Washington talk. The defense played well Sunday, and has been showing improvements since the second half of the Packers game, and if Washington isn't getting the snaps now, he's not going to get them later, BECAUSE HE IS NOT GOOD ENOUGH TO GET ON THE FIELD WITH REGULARITY.
    • Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. riczaj01

Ratings:
    +3,583 / 10 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,782ß
    ^^^^end of discussion
  6. Bearsinhouston

Bearsinhouston Position Coach

Ratings:
    +2,266 / 10 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,659ß
    Maybe more fiber would help?
    • Like Like x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
  7. Henry Burris

Henry Burris Head Coach

Ratings:
    +2,613 / 8 / -10
    ßearz ßuckz:
    672ß
    Nah, it'll take about 3-4 more injures...
  8. DavidL

Ratings:
    +745 / 6 / -24
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,178ß
    Okay, we disagree on CornWash. I am not convinced he would play worse than Bass, for example. But the proof will only come if they let him play more than 4-6 snaps per game.

Moving on, do you disagree with his point that Peppers should not play every snap? Do you see him "dogging it" at times? I do. Do you see teams running the ball on our DE's at will? I do.
  9. Henry Burris

Henry Burris Head Coach

Ratings:
    +2,613 / 8 / -10
    ßearz ßuckz:
    672ß
    Um, Peppers is our best defensive lineman. Unless there was a player of Wooton's caliber playing behind him, there's no sense in benching him for any period of time.
    • Like Like x 1
  10. blinddeafmute

blinddeafmute DaBears Ditka

Ratings:
    +1,441 / 5 / -2
    ßearz ßuckz:
    50ß
    If your argument is that he "wouldn't play worse" instead of "he will play better" than you might want to rethink your argument.
    • Like Like x 2
  11. riczaj01

Ratings:
    +3,583 / 10 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,782ß
    add to that, Peppers job right now is to help create oppertunities for other players via stunts and taking on two OL or an OL and a TE, which won't happen w/Bass and definately not Corny Peppers isn't replaceable.
  12. DavidL

Ratings:
    +745 / 6 / -24
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,178ß
    He is 33 years old and does not have the stamina to play every down at full speed without being exhausted by 4Q (when you need your best players on the field with fresh legs to make a critical stop when the opponent on their final scoring drive to win the game). If our defense had stopped the Redskins and Lions last drives, we'd be 7-2 now. Peppers had no sacks, no QB hits, and one tackle vs. Lions. You and Ric are blind to the fact that he is not producing, not even hustling to the whistle on every play.
  13. DavidL

Ratings:
    +745 / 6 / -24
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,178ß
    That's not my argument. I'm saying Bass produced nearly zero against Lions and so it's hard for me to imagine CornWash doing worse, and, for all we know, he might do better. I'm not asking for anything radical. But how are you going to evaluate a guy if you just throw him in the game cold for 5 reps? Is the sky going to fall if CornWash gets 15 snaps as a back-up? I don't think so. In just 6 snaps against lions, he had one tackle for loss and one QB hit on Stafford. Peppers had one tackle all day.
  14. riczaj01

Ratings:
    +3,583 / 10 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,782ß
    He produced 4 times as much as Conry did, and he did it as a UDFA off another team that didn't have the preseason and OTA's to learn the system.

Again if Bass is starting over Corny there is a reason for it, and college history of Corny tells you that he's a slow learner/starter and he'll need a few years to adjust and start to play well.
  15. JustAnotherBearsFan99

JustAnotherBearsFan99 Coordinator SuperFan DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +3,024 / 4 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,723ß
    +1

I just figure there is a reason for him not getting much playing time yet. My hope is that he'll be a solid player for us, but he's still in a development mode and not ready for prime time yet.
  16. riczaj01

Ratings:
    +3,583 / 10 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,782ß
    That's my thing JABF, nothing against the kid, but some of these kids develop at different rates, and the deeper in the draft you go, the more likely you are going to have a longer learning curve. It's not always the case, but it's more the norm.

Remember Orton was picked in the 4th by the Bears and wasn't expected to ever see the field until his 3rd or 4th year, they wanted him to do nothing but work on his mechanics and learn the playbook. He was thrust in clearly before he was ready and it really set him back.

Earl was a mid round pick, completely in over his head his rookie year, couldn't even learn RT's playbook, but after a few years he became very reliable.

I'm all for letting the coaches figure out the pace these young kids need to play and let it be. Fans just don't have the access to TC's and PS and practices that the coaches do for anyone to make an informed desision and claim the coaches are not making the correct choise.
  17. DavidL

Ratings:
    +745 / 6 / -24
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,178ß
    True, I don't watch practices, but we all see clearly what's happening on the field, which, after all, is where the proverbial rubber meets the road. The Bears rank 25th in the NFL in points and yards allowed on defense. We rank 31st in QB sacks (2 above last place Jags thanks to our LB sacks). That is a HORRIBLE indictment of our defensive ends. Because our D is so bad, they spend a lot of time on the field (we rank 25th on 3rd down stops), so you leave them on the field all game and somehow expect them to make a late 4Q stop with the game on the line.
    I keep making this point, and you keep ignoring it.
  18. riczaj01

Ratings:
    +3,583 / 10 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,782ß
    I'm not ignoring it, I just don't believe that throwing shit against a wall is a way to fix a wall. It's easy for us to say "this guy should play, why not let this guy play and see what he can do" But these coaches, their jobs are on the line. It cost McDaniels his job in Denver, Ryan in NJ still has his job b/c he ignored those cries. You play who you know is better. The coaches know that Peppers, Bass, Wootton and Shea are all better then Corny right now. And for all those stats you keep pluggins around and claiming we are ignorning, you are ignoring the simple fact that the guys who's jobs are on the line, and who have the most information are telling you that YOUR guy is worse.
  19. JustAnotherBearsFan99

JustAnotherBearsFan99 Coordinator SuperFan DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +3,024 / 4 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,723ß
    And I believe he will get more playing time as the season progresses. He's got 1/2 a season under his belt now, and has had a handful of game reps. Look for him to get more rotation reps as we move forward. If he proves himself worthy of more reps, he'll get them. I don't see this as an indictment of him long-term. Just an indication that he may just need some time to develop a bit more.
  20. strockrocks

strockrocks Veteran

Ratings:
    +218 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    31ß
    I think we can all agree on one thing...

OUR DEFENSE SUCKS!!!!!!