Distribution of Playing Time on Defense....

Discussion in 'Chicago Bears' started by DavidL, Nov 11, 2013.

1. DavidL

DavidL Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +684 / 5 / -22
    ßearz ßuckz:
    821ß
    I can only speak for myself, but I would not fire a coach making some changes in personnel and playing time when we are 9 games into the season and rank very near worst in the league. Maybe Tucker will be fired for standing pat with a losing hand. I consider that a more justifiable firing than firing him for trying to do something to improve the situation. Coaches do make mistakes both directions in decisions to play/not play guys. I don't consider them infallible. I will say CornWash is worse than Bass when they have same number of snaps in a game and so we have some real data to compare, but CornWash did better against Lions per snap. I have replayed the relevant part of the game three times.

In any event, you still haven't addressed my point about playing time: one thing CornWash can for damn sure do is give the starters some rest time so they will be fresher in the 4Q. Even if he doesn't make a tackle or sack, he won't be doing any less than the others do on average for 15 snaps.

I saw an amazing stat in Sports Illustrated today. The Saints defense ranked 28th last year and 4th this year. Is that true?
    Last edited: Nov 12, 2013
  2. Henry Burris

Henry Burris Head Coach

Ratings:
    +2,477 / 8 / -10
    ßearz ßuckz:
    413ß
    Um, you notice the Lions able to run it on the outside this past game? Peppers and Bass may not have come up big in the stats, but they helped the linebackers out greatly, this game. Your logic is completely flawed on this Washington thing, and, for a sixth round pick, be happy he's even still on the roster. Dude ain't playing for a reason, and until he actually does something, there's no reason to keep bringing up a 3rd string rookie defensive lineman.
    • Like Like x 1
  3. short faced bear

short faced bear Assistant Head Coach DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +1,197 / 0 / -2
    ßearz ßuckz:
    95ß
    I'm all about giving a guy some reps at garbage time but to say he could "not be worse" than a HOF type DE in Pep is just messed up. If Tucker can't straighten out what he has does he even have time to spoon feed Corn Wash? If Corn Wash is just a 3rd down pass rush guy don't redshirt him. Anything else yes then sit him down but just pass rush no. If your sitting him b/c he's too stupid to even do that then you've got problems already.

Then, if you have a guy that is low on football I.Q. and your "redshirting" him b/c you don't want his confidence shattered your doubly screwed.
    • Like Like x 1
  4. DavidL

DavidL Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +684 / 5 / -22
    ßearz ßuckz:
    821ß
    I watched the video again today to check what happened on the 6 snaps CornWash played. I could only find 5 of them.

1. 3-yd. run up middle.
    2. 3-yd.run up middle. CornWash helped clog the hole
    3. Incomplete pass. CornWash only Bear pressuring Stafford
    4, CornWash tackles Bush for loss after fumble.
    5. Bush 11-yd. run up middle. CornWash not involved.

Conclude whatever you want.