Ditka: White Sox Closer Than Bears to Winning a Title

Discussion in 'Chicago Bears' started by JustAnotherBearsFan99, Jan 15, 2014.

1. JustAnotherBearsFan99

JustAnotherBearsFan99 Coordinator SuperFan DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +3,049 / 4 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,774ß
    If the defense continues to be bad, then it may be another disappointing season. Emery/Trestman, figure Mel Tucker is "The Guy" who can turn things around on defense. If they are wrong on this, then I'm going to be pretty bitter, due to the fact we will have wasted a year before bringing in a solid coach on defense. It will begin (begin anyway) to remind me of the Lovie Smith futility in bringing in a guy who could coach offense. Let's hope Tucker truly is "The Guy" and we see a defense we don't have to be ashamed of here in Chicago.

2. Bearsinhouston

Bearsinhouston Position Coach

Ratings:
    +2,276 / 10 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,686ß
    Everyone keeps saying that the Bears D only needsto be average to win a title, but they don't (unless it is a division title). You are not going to stop any of the four teams that are in the playoffs with an average defense. Does anyone on the board believe that Cutler can score enough extra points over any four of those teams to make up for only having an average defense?

You can get to the dance with a good offense and a decent defense, but I really don't think you can win a SB with that combination --- unless you happen to be lucky and get into contention during a year that has weaker playoff teams contending. But you can't count on that. I think you need to put together a team that can contend with any of these four teams. That means that both sides of the ball must be better than average, and one of them has to be outstanding. Some of these teams have a REALLY good D and a REALLY good O, and yet they still won't win it all.

I think if you shoot too low, you miss the brass ring for sure. If you shoot high, you MAY have a chance to grab that ring. I think that is the only way to go about it if you want to play with the big boys.
    • Like Like x 1
  3. JustAnotherBearsFan99

Ratings:
    +3,049 / 4 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,774ß
    I heard that Ditka woke up long enough to make this prediction and promptly went back to sleep. Kind of like Groundhog Day.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  4. Bearsinhouston

Ratings:
    +2,276 / 10 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,686ß
    Glad he woke him up. Would have sucked to break his glasses when his face hit the desk.
    • Like Like x 1
  5. 4th and 26

4th and 26 George Halas Staff Member

Ratings:
    +750 / 3 / -6
    ßearz ßuckz:
    629ß

Do you blame a guy that had to comment on the Jets/Dolphins game? I would choose sleep also.
    • Like Like x 2
  6. 4th and 26

4th and 26 George Halas Staff Member

Ratings:
    +750 / 3 / -6
    ßearz ßuckz:
    629ß
    One more thing, the Blackhawks are closer on winning another cup then the rest of the Chicago teams.
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  7. The Benjamin

The Benjamin George Halas Staff Member

Ratings:
    +2,156 / 7 / -9
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,565ß
    This from the same mind that picks the Bears to win every week.
  8. butkus3595

butkus3595 Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +929 / 1 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    775ß
    Or you happen to be the 06 colts.
  9. jackiejokeman

jackiejokeman Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +229 / 2 / -1
    ßearz ßuckz:
    626ß

Dont make me have to ban both of you forever for being on this board ... HA-HAAA !

Lets take this over to : DRUG USE BY HOMOSEXUAL AND BISEXUAL PEDOPHILES FORUM.

(And no its not all meth freaks ... well some Meth freaks)

And boy are there some people waiting there to meet YOU !
  10. Bearsinhouston

Ratings:
    +2,276 / 10 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,686ß
    As I said, that can happen under the right circumstances. The 06 Bears always were thought to be a fluke getting to the SB. Our O was not really as strong as it needed to be. So the Colts beat us. At least that's my interpretation. Do you think that the Bears were as complete as any of these last 4 playoff teams from this year? The last two will be even stronger.
    In 06 we were one of the last two and I don;t think we were as strong as even the weakest of these four semi-finalists. Just my take. I could be wrong.
  11. butkus3595

butkus3595 Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +929 / 1 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    775ß
    A team that goes 13-3 reaching the Super Bowl is a fluke? Really? Actually I think we were similar to Seattle in 06. They run the ball a little bit better than we did, but passing...we were similar if not better in that area. I mean in 06 we were ranked 2nd in the league in points scored. Seattle protects the ball better than we did then...which is natural when you run more than you throw. Seattle's defense is also slightly stronger than our defense was that year as well though....so if I had to compare the 06 Bears to a team still in it today it would be them.
  12. riczaj01

riczaj01 DaBears Ditka DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +3,620 / 10 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,819ß
    The O scoring early and often(early being the big thing) helps your average D greatly look better then it actually is. If the O continues to be near the top in scoring then the D will raise above average just on that alone.

If you ask me, I honestly think that Tillman/Briggs/Melton are worth 1-2 games and that puts us in the playoffs and the D would have been average if they all had stayed healthy, not top 10, but probably higher then top 15. Do they win the SB, probably not not against SF/Sea, they're better and deeper, but the Bears are definately a playoff team this year.
    • Like Like x 1
  13. Bearsinhouston

Ratings:
    +2,276 / 10 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,686ß
    Don't you remember that year? Almost everyone was saying how lucky we were to win some of those games. We were winning, but somehow managing not to look very dominant while doing it. Hey... a win is a win, but you have got to have the real goods when you get to the SB. Anyway, that was my impression of that season.
  14. butkus3595

butkus3595 Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +929 / 1 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    775ß
    Eh....maybe I just have a different view point...to me when you only have 2 wins that were 3 points or less and 9 wins that were 2 scores or better, 5 wins 20 points or better...you're a pretty good team without question. There was the famous "they were who we thought they were" game..which one could say we were lucky to win. Unfortunately the wheels came off the second half of that Super Bowl.
  15. BearDownUnder

BearDownUnder Veteran

Ratings:
    +71 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    37ß
    D has to be above average, but not by much for the regular season. But it also has to have the ability to get hot in the play offs which means guys who can make plays. A well planned and executed scheme can get you to the play offs with some decent play stopping the run up front and with the LB, some smart play by the safeties and some decent corners. I think that can be achieved next year if we get the FA signings and 1 or 2 rookies who can come in and compete from the start. But for that big play ability that probably means sacks and I don't think we've got the money to spend on someone who's going to reliably produce in that role straight away.
  16. Blue Horse-shoe

Blue Horse-shoe Veteran

Ratings:
    +407 / 1 / -2
    ßearz ßuckz:
    545ß
    Love Ditka ..... but he was lucky that Finks did a GREAT job drafting , and that the NFC North at that time was a pretty weak division for most of the 80's . He LANDED in what became the perfect storm w a friggin GREAT team , so it was only natural that they won the SB . So yeah .... it's gonna take some time . Duh .
  17. JustAnotherBearsFan99

Ratings:
    +3,049 / 4 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,774ß
    That period of time was a textbook example of how important it is to have someone drafting for your team that is exceptional at evaluating talent. It transcends everything else IMHO. Sure, coaching is critically important too. But if you don't have the talent to work with, you're screwed. The talent on those mid-80's Bears teams was obscenely good. The 1985 and 1986 teams were some of the most talent-laden teams in NFL history. John Madden commented on that during a game he was broadcasting in 1985 with Pat Sumerall. He was commenting on the 46 defense. He said it wasn't the scheme that made it good, but rather the talent playing the scheme. This is why I'm hoping that Emery and the upgraded scouting department, can get the Bears competitive again, winning championships again, and sustaining that level of play over a number of seasons. It begins with talent. You either have it. Or you don't. If you don't then you're screwed. The Angelo years had too much mediocre talent (mixed in with some defensive studs).