Do Rivalries Exist? Are They Important? Trestman Says No

Discussion in 'Chicago Bears' started by The Benjamin, Sep 29, 2013.

1. The Benjamin

The Benjamin George Halas Staff Member

Ratings:
    +1,630 / 6 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    277ß
    The Bears and Lions have played 166 times before their meeting Sunday in Detroit. It's a series that dates back to 1930 when the Lions were knowns as he Portsmouth Spartans.

They are a highway rivalry with a direct route on Interstate 94. But is there an NFL rivalry? Bears head coach Marc Trestman doesn't believe such things exist.

“The Detroit Lions aren’t any more important than any other team,” Trestman said. “We have to play them and we have to compete against them on Sunday and they deserve our maximum respect. If we say there’s a rivalry, then we’re saying one game is more important than the other. It’s not.”

That's a far cry from Lovie Smith's hiring when he was told by team owners to "beat Green Bay" and he made sure his Bears players understood the importance of that rivalry.

Still, the Bears/Lions game is a huge division matchup, as both teams have one win in the NFC North. But don't remind Trestman the Bears are 3-0, because he doesn't believe that either.

"We're not. We're 0-0," Trestman said, insisting to the media this week that Sunday's game in Detroit is just "1 of 13."

http://www.nbcchicago.com/blogs/grizzly-detail/chicago-bears-detroit-lions-rivalry-225716731.html
  2. The Benjamin

Ratings:
    +1,630 / 6 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    277ß
    I wonder if he thinks these rivalry games are more important than other outside division games now.
  3. MrDynamite32

MrDynamite32 Rookie

Ratings:
    +34 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    Yeah, especially considering these rivalry games could decide whether the Bears make the playoffs or not.
  4. Mr. Deliverance

Mr. Deliverance Guest

Ratings:
    +109 / 0 / -1
    ßearz ßuckz:
    I was kind of surprised about those comments myself. Packers-Bears is everything to me. And DET being a competitive team again is almost as important. You measure where you are as a team by seeing how you fair against your top rivals. I think its time to bust out the teleprompter for Trestman, to get this guy sounding more like a Bears coach.
    • Like Like x 1
  5. MrDynamite32

MrDynamite32 Rookie

Ratings:
    +34 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    On the one hand, with what he said, Trestman's trying to instill an even-keel approach in that they don't get too cocky when they win and don't get too down when they lose. On the other hand, this could be the sense of Trestman not being aware of the stakes that goes into games against arch rivals.
  6. Jimmors

Jimmors The Rhymenoceros Staff Member SuperFan

Ratings:
    +3,999 / 8 / -5
    ßearz ßuckz:
    203ß
    Rivalries are only important to fans, not the players.
    • Like Like x 3
  7. Evernight

Evernight Rookie

Ratings:
    +67 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    That may not be 100% accurate for every player. The importance is greatly diminished in today's NFL with the large amount of roster turnover. It's entirely likely that a player may be playing for their rival next season. I would think it probably holds more meaning for players that have been on the same team for 5-10 years though.
  8. riczaj01

riczaj01 DaBears Ditka DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +2,465 / 6 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    257ß

Didn't BU or some other Bear say that a few years ago and had to be trotted out to recant a few days later? It's a reality for these guys it's big money and football on Sunday's, it's only bigger b/c most rivalries are Div games. Now if someone asked Trestman if Div games were bigger and he said no, I'd have to question his sanity.
    • Like Like x 1
  9. JPosh2012

JPosh2012 Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +86 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    The GB/CHI series is a big deal to me since I live in a house full of Packer fans.
  10. Mr. Deliverance

Mr. Deliverance Guest

Ratings:
    +109 / 0 / -1
    ßearz ßuckz:
    Wow that's worse than being in prison, with a rapist for a cellmate.
    • Like Like x 2
  11. mdbearz

mdbearz Veteran

Ratings:
    +280 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    19ß
    I really think that he was trying to say every game should be played like it is a rivalry, not just the ones deemed a rivalry because of history, division, or location.
  12. The Benjamin

Ratings:
    +1,630 / 6 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    277ß
    I think he is kind of right.

With free agency ect. the rivalry games mean more to the fans than the players themselves
  13. Tarkus

Tarkus Veteran

Ratings:
    +270 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    Agreed on the point that rivalries are for the fans & the network promoting those games.

Players are smart enough to know the importance of each & every game.
  14. Bearsinhouston

Bearsinhouston Hall of Famer

Ratings:
    +1,021 / 2 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    40ß
    I understand where he was going, but if they are in my division and they need to get past me to win the division, then it's a rivalry because I want to get past them too.