Do the rule changes give too much advantage to the offense?

Discussion in 'Rival Team Forum' started by DavidL, Sep 29, 2013.

1. DavidL

DavidL Pro-Bowler SuperFan

Ratings:
    +713 / 6 / -22
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,002ß
  2. Evernight

Evernight Rookie

Ratings:
    +75 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    10ß
    A large portion is likely because higher scores make for more exciting games. People want to see points put up. Defensive battles are generally pretty boring.
  3. DavidL

Ratings:
    +713 / 6 / -22
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,002ß
    Yeah, they did the same thing in baseball when they "juiced" the ball and shortened the fences. Personally, I like to see more balance between offense and defense.

Speaking of lack of scoring being boring, I will never understand why soccer is so popular. Ice hockey also, but that's just my reaction.
  4. Evernight

Evernight Rookie

Ratings:
    +75 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    10ß
    Exactly. I would rather feed myself feet first through a wood chipper than watch an entire soccer match. It's like watching two guys swing sticks at each other over and over but they miss every single time.
  5. Henry Burris

Henry Burris Head Coach

Ratings:
    +2,561 / 8 / -10
    ßearz ßuckz:
    571ß
    There are SOME (few) rules that have helped the defense. The "He would have caught it, but was pushed out of bounds" rule was one that NEEDED to go. Seattle will get exposed on the road this year. Everybody's in love with the young QB's, but the "NFL amnesia" has caused many to forget that QB's have a hard time starting their second year (unless it's Aaron Rodgers), and while Wilson's got some decent numbers, there will be a team that will show everyone else how to stop him, just as has happened with many teams around the league, and once he's faced that big adversity, things will get really interesting.
  6. Mr. Deliverance

Mr. Deliverance Guest

Ratings:
    +109 / 0 / -1
    ßearz ßuckz:
    The NFL has stripped defensive players from their ability to play the game the way it once was.

Offense has major advantages out there. Its a disgrace what's happened to this game.

In fact, the advantage is so far tot he offensive right, that its going to be a long time before you even find a DC hired as a HC because of how difficult its going to be to evaluate DCs as HCs. That's how unfair the rule changes have become.
    • Like Like x 2
  7. DavidL

Ratings:
    +713 / 6 / -22
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,002ß
    Only we old-timers will remember this, but back in the "old days" there was no rule that the CB could only bump-and-run within 5 yards from the line of scrimmage . Take away that rule and these receivers would have to work to get open. Also, the new rules allow the offensive linemen to use their arms more to hold out pass rushers. Call me an old fuddy=duddy, but I don't like these rules.
  8. Tarkus

Tarkus Veteran

Ratings:
    +270 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    Of course it's skewed for what sells to the average fans...scoring. It's all about the Benjamins...

True fans in any sport will appreciate any & all phases while ones who like the entertainment value will lean toward more flash than substance. The NFL's just being a good 'business' by widening the fan base. Add in the 'safety' changes that have further curtailed Ds & this are only going to get worse. Wouldn't be surprised to see teams working to convert potential offensive players to D to match the talent level in the future. No longer will we see defensive players getting in the heads of receivers by making them pay nor the really physical Ds able to play freely & dominate so matching talent to talent may be the only recourse.

Sign of the times...& I don't like it.
  9. DavidL

Ratings:
    +713 / 6 / -22
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,002ß
    Can you old-timers imagine guys like Ronnie Lott or Jack Tatum trying to play safety with these rules? If you run a slant over the middle, they would knock your ass off.

I can't understand why fans aren't entertained by watching a great defensive team. I hate games where both teams play sloppy defense.