Do you think the Packers being a good team is good for us?

Discussion in 'Chicago Bears' started by Henry Burris, Sep 11, 2013.

?

Do you think the Packers being a good team is good for us?

1. Henry Burris

Henry Burris Head Coach

Ratings:
    +2,192 / 8 / -7
    ßearz ßuckz:
    64ß
    I'm sure this will be an overwhelming "NO", but I want our most heated rivalry to be against 2 teams that are actually good. As an example, say Aaron Rodgers gets injured, and they go 8-8 and get swept by us, and lose the playoffs, I feel that would cheapen being the NFCN champion. If we can't beat them, we don't deserve to win, and if we beat them as a scrub team, it doesn't make it nearly as impressive.

Yes, I know the '85 packers sucked, but, I don't feel that particular case means anything, because, even if they went 14-2, you KNOW those 2 losses would still have been to us.
  2. A-11

A-11 Veteran

Ratings:
    +74 / 1 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    I agree with you Henry.
    Playoff games are nice, but there is a purpose for those games.
    I'd rather compete and have rivalries with the best teams in the league because that is where you want to find consistent success.
    • Like Like x 1
  3. 4dabers

4dabers Veteran DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +636 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    17ß
    Oh, I absolutely agree. It wasn't all that long ago that our Division was the laughing stock of the league; hell, the whole NFC was. Now the worm has turned and the NFC is moving ahead, and the North is among the best. I much prefer being a contender in a good division as opposed to walking away with a crown from a perennial weak division.
    • Like Like x 1
  4. Nakoma1

Nakoma1 Veteran

Ratings:
    +183 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    the better the teams the Bears beat,... the more experience the Bears will gain in becoming a better team themselves

BOOOYAAAAA

....besides ,..... what better way to dethrone the Packers ???

than their number 1 arch rivals handing them their medicine

[​IMG]
    • Like Like x 1
  5. Henry Burris

Henry Burris Head Coach

Ratings:
    +2,192 / 8 / -7
    ßearz ßuckz:
    64ß
    I honestly thought no one would see it the same way I do. I'm glad to see I was wrong. Hell, I'd prefer a 15-1 Bears team and a 14-2 Packers team every year(or the other way around, as long as we beat them fair and square), with a meeting in the NFC Championship deciding the winner. I even respect Adrian Peterson(he's the closest this league has to Walter Payton) enough that I would prefer they make the playoffs along with us.
    • Like Like x 1
  6. The Benjamin

The Benjamin George Halas Staff Member

Ratings:
    +1,613 / 6 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    226ß
    The better they are, the better the game. I love when the rivalry is a rivalry when both teams are good. If its one sided all the time (90s) it's not much of a rivalry is it?
    • Like Like x 2
  7. Nakoma1

Nakoma1 Veteran

Ratings:
    +183 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    13-3 Queens ?
    • Like Like x 1
  8. Henry Burris

Henry Burris Head Coach

Ratings:
    +2,192 / 8 / -7
    ßearz ßuckz:
    64ß
    As long as they and the Pack are 0-2 against us, lol. The Lions can go 0-16 for all I care, at least until they fire forest gregg, er I mean Jim Schwartz and that "boy named suh"
  9. Nakoma1

Nakoma1 Veteran

Ratings:
    +183 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    YOull have long wait for that HB maybe 1 -15 YES ?
    • Like Like x 1
  10. JustAnotherBearsFan99

JustAnotherBearsFan99 Coordinator SuperFan DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +1,808 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    67ß
    Having strong divisional foes is a blessing. If you want to BE the best, then you need to be able to BEAT the best. You go into the playoffs a stronger contender that way. This season is a good example. After we sweep the Packers this year, we'll be battle-hardened and ready to make a Super Bowl run - and win :-)
    Last edited: Sep 11, 2013
    • Like Like x 1
  11. short faced bear

short faced bear Assistant Head Coach DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +1,155 / 0 / -2
    ßearz ßuckz:
    10ß
    When ISN'T having the best division a bad thing? Iron sharpens iron. Add in a few different and tough non-conference opponents and that's a good thing imo.
    • Like Like x 1
  12. soulman

soulman Pro-Bowler SuperFan DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +1,372 / 0 / -2
    ßearz ßuckz:
    475ß
    I don't know why anyone would prefer beating a lousy team to an ultra competitive game between two evenly matched team as apparently Sunday's game against Cincy was. That was an incredibly fun game to watch surrounded by about 200 more Bears fans like I was.

The measure of success this year and every year will be how well the Bears do against their equals and I would much rather the Pack be an equal than a patsy and they aren't and never will be as long as Aaron Rodgers is playing and McCarthy is coaching. I think the Bears and the Packers are very evenly matched this year and actually have been for quite some time.

The major difference in previous years came down to some key injuries that kept players out and from Lovie Smith being out coached in nearly every game. When he was hired his avowed mission was to beat the Packers and he started out doing just that. But as time went by it seems to me McCarthy and Rodgers had pretty well figured out every way they could to attack Lovie's base defense successfully and as usual he was too stubborn to adapt.

Don't even get me started on our offensive stupidity and inept game plans against them. We've made Dom Capers look like a defensive genius and he's not. The Packers have had a suspect defense for years and we never could figure out how to exploit that as well as they did ours.
    • Like Like x 1
  13. Henry Burris

Henry Burris Head Coach

Ratings:
    +2,192 / 8 / -7
    ßearz ßuckz:
    64ß
    Oh, I prefer our division and non-conference games to be higher quality, but I like a couple of easy teams to play each year.
  14. JustAnotherBearsFan99

JustAnotherBearsFan99 Coordinator SuperFan DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +1,808 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    67ß
    One additional comment. Last year we beat up on weak teams and racked up 10 wins, but it never felt "good" to me. Sure it's always great to win, but in my heart, I knew we were not a good team. We weren't . We tried to play with "the big boys" and got beat. No playoffs for us.

This year we've already proven that we can beat a good team. Even if we fall short of 10 wins this year, I'll still feel better about the team, because we are not "pretenders" anymore. We're a really decent football team now. It may take yet another season before we hit our true stride as a team, but I'm OK with that. Better than having a mediocre team that is a joke against the solid teams of the league.
  15. Henry Burris

Henry Burris Head Coach

Ratings:
    +2,192 / 8 / -7
    ßearz ßuckz:
    64ß
    I love those games, but I have heart attacks during them, lol

Agree completely

It's just one game, but they can't "wait" for Rodgers to make mistakes like they did with Dalton. They're gonna have to be aggressive in games like that.

I agree. Dom Capers is probably the most overrated DC in the league, outside of Rob Ryan.
  16. riczaj01

riczaj01 DaBears Ditka DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +2,423 / 6 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    170ß
    Is it good for "us" as fans, no..it's cost the Bears countless playoffs and at least 1 chance at a SB a few years ago.

Is it good for the team? Not so sure the team should care, they should be worry about building the team they want to build, not worry about how good or if GB is good at all.

Do you think GB fans care if Chicago is good or not? Has ND's fall over the last 10 years hurt USC? Think NYG cares that Dallas is owned by a egotistical asshat that only hurts the Cowboys team? Does Balt care that the Browns suck?

I only care whether the Bears FO are building a good team via the draft and FA and making good contract decisions, I only care if the coaches are developing the talent they are given and coming up w/good game plans that allow them to change their plan if the other team is stopping said plan.

I DO NOT care if GB, Minny, or Det are any good. I would perfer them to be good, but I don't think it effects the overall outcome of how good the Bears are so it's just not that relevent. If it was relevent, if it did matter, the Bears would have been far better over the last 30 years then they were.
  17. Henry Burris

Henry Burris Head Coach

Ratings:
    +2,192 / 8 / -7
    ßearz ßuckz:
    64ß
    Ric, you're picking up a different argument here. I was meaning "is it better" because it makes it sweeter to beat them when they're good. The implied message here is that "When we win", is it better?
    As for the rivalries:
    Ask Packer fans, and I bet their answers will be similar to the ones here
    Apples to Oranges with the ND USC comparison. LA's in a world by itself. Alabama vs. Auburn would be a better one.
    Redskins are the Cowboys biggest rivals, not the Giants
    Baltimore is NOT the Browns biggest rival, the Steelers are.

The bold sentence makes no sense, honestly. You're (incorrectly) inferring from this thread that we somehow think that the Bears quality of players is linked to the quality of the Packers players. What you should have gotten out of this was that wins against a good Packers team matter more.
  18. MIKETOUHY

MIKETOUHY Rookie

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    Wrong.
  19. riczaj01

riczaj01 DaBears Ditka DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +2,423 / 6 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    170ß
    ya but the Redskins suck as bad as the Cowboys do....and really recently NY has been the class of the division.
    I dont know about that Ravens/Browns thing. I think the Browns fans hate the Ravens every bit as much as the Stealers.

I just want the team the Bears to win, I don't care if the team they beat, GB or otherwise are good. Is it sweeter when it might actually be the nail in the coffin of a good GB team? Sure but at the end of the day I want the Bears at the top of the conference and fighting for a chance at a SB, and rarely have GB and Chi ever met in the playoffs at a chance to goto the SB(I think a few years ago was the 1st time they had ever met in the championship game).
  20. Henry Burris

Henry Burris Head Coach

Ratings:
    +2,192 / 8 / -7
    ßearz ßuckz:
    64ß
    Well just saying, those rivalries, at the least, have dipped in recent years, but they're still there. I respect your opinion, and you are right about them only meeting a few times in the playoffs, but Bears Packers NFCC rematch, what Bears fan wouldn't want that to be our victory that gets us to the SB?
    • Like Like x 1