Do you think we've done enough in the off-season to win the Division this year?

Discussion in 'Chicago Bears' started by JustAnotherBearsFan99, May 19, 2014.

?

Do you think we've done enough in the off-season to win the Division this year?

1. JustAnotherBearsFan99

JustAnotherBearsFan99 Coordinator SuperFan DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +2,372 / 3 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    771ß
    Do you think we've done enough in the off-season to win the Division this year? I realize we all hope we're better, but objectively evaluating the team, do you believe we did enough to overtake Green Bay? Or are we still a year away?
  2. soulman

soulman Pro-Bowler SuperFan DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +1,844 / 6 / -3
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,539ß
    I think as far as personnel goes we have but there are still some mountains to climb especially on the defensive side of the ball. It's up to the coaching staff now to combine the talent into schemes that can win games and we've got a tough row to hoe the first month or so with all of those road games. A bad start could shoot us right in the foot and put us in a hole we can't dig out of.

The biggest challenge to overcoming GB is to figure out how to limit what Rodgers can do. They've been playing that offense for a long time and they're damn good at it. And now they have a running game to go with the passing game so they aren't quite as one dimensional anymore. Plus Capers defense should be healthier too and that's another concern.

One thing that has annoyed the hell out of me for years is that we've had teams that could easily match up talent wise but either we get outcoached or we make a major mistake or two that turns the game in their favor. A pick, a fumble, blown coverage, a key penalty, you name it. Until we stop beating ourselves so often it's gonna be tough to take that NFCN Title away from them and keep it away from them like we did in the '80s.
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. lklrlolnlilklsox

lklrlolnlilklsox Position Coach

Ratings:
    +305 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    55ß
    Yes. We have a lot of new pieces on D, and though there will be undoubted growing pains because of that, the pieces are very talented in places of need. I still would love a stud at S, but the players we added up front should hopefully help the position greatly.
    • Like Like x 4
  4. JustAnotherBearsFan99

Ratings:
    +2,372 / 3 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    771ß
    That's a good point. We've gotten better, but so have they. We're healthy now. But they will be too. I believe that overall we're in the same general ball park, talent-wise (sure, Rodgers is better than Cutler, but overall I think we're fairly comparable talent-wise now). The edge may come down to health and coaching. Both teams will have injuries to deal with. That's a given. But hopefully we won't have one unit hit as hard as our defense was last year. And I'm hoping our #2 QB is solid for when Cutler takes his annual injury leave.
    • Like Like x 1
  5. BSBEARS

BSBEARS Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +738 / 4 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    705ß
    I believe we are equal to the Pack, just depends how the injuries go. I like Tucker but he is not in the same league as Capers and I am not sure Trestman is a good as McCarthy, although Trestman is closer. Rodgers is better than Cutler. Our skill positions at WR, TE and RB are stronger and Our O-line is probably stronger.

Got to give the pack LB and S edge, while we take it on the D-line and CB's. I think it is really close and if everyone stays healthy on both sides I am hopeful we can neutralize Rodgers with pressure and good coverage. If we can neutralize Rodgers I like our chances but I believe this will be a HELL of a game (x2) and how we each play against the rest of the division will probably be key. I believe we may have a slightly easier schedule as do not the pack face another playoff team than us since they made the playoffs. In the out of Division rotation I believe they have to play a tougher opponent based on them making the playoffs last year. Not up to speed on who it is but that could work in our favor if we truly are that close.
  6. riczaj01

riczaj01 DaBears Ditka DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +2,977 / 8 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    990ß
    We've gained on them, but I'm not sure we are better then GB right now. Nothing happens in a vacuum and GB has improved also. And they have the better qb, and it's not close, which means something in this league.
  7. BearJim

BearJim Veteran SuperFan DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +153 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    35ß
    That's a great question 99. IMHO we have had as good of off-season as anyone, except maybe Denver. Will it be enough, time will tell. I really look forward to seeing not only our defense get better due to being healthy, some great FA signings & a really good draft, but seeing this offense grow in its 2nd year in Trestman's offense with pretty much the entire offense coming back with a few nice additions. Other than Rodgers, the main reason their offense is so good is they have had the same system in place more many years. I'm hoping that we can do the same here.

I'm not sure we will win the division this year. Like Soul said, our schedule is tough for the firt half of the season. But I think if we are at 500 or better at mid season, we will not only make the playoffs but make some noise when we get there!
    • Like Like x 1
  8. JustAnotherBearsFan99

Ratings:
    +2,372 / 3 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    771ß
    That is so true. Cutler has been in a different offense and/or with a different OC, almost every year he's been in the NFL. It's a killer.
  9. short faced bear

short faced bear Assistant Head Coach DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +1,196 / 0 / -2
    ßearz ßuckz:
    90ß
    I will say no b/c of the relative improvements our rivals have made and even though the D will be much improved talent wise I am not confident Tucker can make quick in-game adjustments. I think come playoff time it will either be a hot hand or one and done. I haven't looked deep into what the Pack has done but from what I'm seeing we are just a small ways behind them.
  10. BearJim

BearJim Veteran SuperFan DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +153 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    35ß
    Yeah 99, I'm really hoping in the next few years with a really good offensive coach, OC & being in the same system for several years Cutler's play matches his talent. I hope & pray we stay healthy this year & if we do we could see an amazing season.
  11. BSBEARS

BSBEARS Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +738 / 4 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    705ß
    Just looked at the schedules. To the naked eye it looks like the Packers play the Seahawks and the Eagles, which we do not play. To replace them the Bears play the 49ers and the Cowboys. Seahawks and 49ers be tough games for both of us, I think we have a better match up with the Cowboys than the Packers playing the Eagles. Suspect the Pack can beat the Eagles though so not sure any advantage in the schedule. Other than those 2 teams we play the same opponents.
  12. BSBEARS

BSBEARS Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +738 / 4 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    705ß
    A while back I started a thread getting at having an Offensive Head Coach over a Defensive Head Coach and the advantage it gives the Offense. This is a great example of the added stability and Offenses are just so much more complex and take more time to implement. I am also looking forward to year 2 of the same offense with new wrinkles.
    • Like Like x 1
  13. Bearsinhouston

Bearsinhouston Position Coach

Ratings:
    +1,549 / 5 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    745ß
    I think we have improved a lot. IMO, the most in our division. The reality is, however that GB started out better than we did and Detroit is a pretty good team nowadays. They are no longer the doormat of the NFC.

Even the Vikings have upgraded this offseason and they will be a tougher team. I don;t have any real concerns about them, but Detroit will not be a cakewalk and as long as Rogers is healthy, GB is still the team to beat until I see differently.

Having said all of that, (all teams think this at this point) we did put the people in place to be able to challenge and possibly beat GB. With GB, you have both a talented runner and an excellent QB. Forte is also an excellent runner. If anything, I think he is better, but whenever I see Lacy run, he seems to be able to get yardage more often. I'm not sure if the stats support my perceptions, but maybe it's just because every time he breaks a run on us I get pissed.

For some reason, although I like our OL, Forte does not seem to have as easy a time running and I don;t think it is because he is not as good a back. Also, Rogers is better than Cutler, whether I like it or not.

The only way to beat these guys is to have our DL put A LOT of pressure on Rogers and be stout against the run. Nothing new there, but they are a hard team to stop because they have talent at both positions and are well coached. On paper, we should be able to make difficult for them, but sometimes reality does not intersect with potential.

We don't necessarily need to beat them in order to get into the playoffs if we are good enough for a wildcard, and I'm betting we will be at least that good. I'm going to say that I think we have the people to do it, but am not sure if we will play like we want it. Last year we did not play like a team that wanted to be in the playoffs. We had two opportunities to lock it up and failed at both. Neither game looked like we were on fire (unless you like dumpster fires).

The players need to play like they want it and the coaches need to get some of the new people developed quickly and we need the ability to be able to react peoperly to GBs schemes and adjustments. (winning the chess match). Most of the time Trestman seems able to do that. I'm trying to be brutally honest here and not just trying to crack jokes about Tucker. I in no way saw any semblence of that ability from him last year. I hope it was because he was fire-fighting. GB has a VERY good offense and they are adept at making changes. If we not see them and know how to quickly react, they just too much talent to get bulldozed. We need to be able to do it all to beat them consistently.

And when we get there, we have to keep in mind that what they typically do to us, SF and Seattle are able to do to them, so we need to get quite a bit better quickly, but I honestly think we can beat GB if it comes together and perhaps even be competitive with the big dogs. I like our team and we are getting pretty close IMO.
  14. BSBEARS

BSBEARS Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +738 / 4 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    705ß
    Well said BiH, I gave the nod to GB coaches in my dissection earlier as well and just have not seen enough in both Trestman and Tucker to believe they can win a chess match with McCarthy and Capers. Both Tres and Tucker may have it in them but not proven like GB coaches. That is my biggest concern as well.
  15. JustAnotherBearsFan99

Ratings:
    +2,372 / 3 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    771ß
    After reading the responses, it sounds like many here feel this team (coaches and players) shows great promise, but we need to see this potential translate into proven success of the players and coaches. Green Bay is a proven commodity that has a model in place that works, and the GM, coaches and players that have resulted in success - certainly in our division in recent years. But I like what I see with the changes the Bears organization has taken so far though. I feel like we may see the proof this season, and if not this season, then certainly in 2015 when the roster should be fully restocked from the Angelo era - and we'll either have a successful Tucker coaching the defense, or a better coach in place there if he fails this year.
  16. Henry Burris

Henry Burris Head Coach

Ratings:
    +2,477 / 8 / -10
    ßearz ßuckz:
    413ß
    Honestly, our offense didn't start running effectively until close to the mid point of the season (the 3 and outs, not showing up until the 4th quarter and turnovers), and it being in its first season, I believe it is fair to say that there is a very good possibility our offense could hide many of our defense's flaws, especially if they can figure out how to score early and often.

As far as the talent goes, I really like what Emery did to the defensive line. He has added a healthy mix of veterans (Idonije, Allen, Houston) and rookies, which looks to be built as a direct response to the horrible run game last year. I have only heard good things from Fuller, so hopefully we get the next shutdown corner in him, but I'm more excited about Shea being converted to linebacker. I think if Tucker is worth his salt as a coach (and he is, look at his injury free coaching jobs in Jax & CLE) he will be able to find ways to get him to get to the quarterback (imagine blitzing right behind Allen).
  17. BelieveInMonsters

BelieveInMonsters Veteran

Ratings:
    +198 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    I am cautiously optimistic about the 2014 Chicago Bears.

We have a tough schedule and a tough division to contend with. Will it be easy? Of course not.

Can the Bears win the NFC North in 2014? Absolutely. *If* the chips fall their way.

IMO I see the Bears and Green bay both finishing with 11-5 records with one of them winning the division and whoever is the runner up as the wildcard.
  18. 4dabers

4dabers Veteran DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +733 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    77ß
    In real estate, the old saying is Location, Location, Location

In Football, the similar saying should be Injuries, Injuries, Injuries.

This has effectively been mentioned above, but it doesn't just apply to the health of OUR team, but also the health of the teams we play WHEN we play them. The only way you can say "can we win the division" or predict "What will our record be" with any kind of validity is to own a crystal ball that shows injuries along each week of the schedule.

With all that hogwash said, I still think we CAN win the Division if we sustain fewer critical injuries than last year and the rest of our Division rivals do not have a dramatic outbreak of health.
  19. soulman

soulman Pro-Bowler SuperFan DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +1,844 / 6 / -3
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,539ß
    It doesn't get any better than that when you say may the better team win and it's not just about player personnel. Coaching both prior to and during the games is also a big factor. We watched Lovie make some major league blunders over the years some which cost games. Trestman seemed to make fewer but they weren't exactly absent.

When you add the coaching staffs to the player personnel I guess you'd have to say that GB still holds and advantage but this should be as good a year as any to see how quickly and completely we've closed that gap as well. Like I said until we can whip them twice year like they've been doing to us for so long they still have the upper hand.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  20. JustAnotherBearsFan99

Ratings:
    +2,372 / 3 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    771ß
    +1
    I never could understand this about Lovie. I liked the guy, and I respected his defenses, but he was so inflexible once the game started. I'm wondering if he changes this in the new job in Tampa. He had plenty of time to critique his stint in Chicago after the Bears let him go. I don't think he's a stupid man. I like to think he'll be a bit different coach now, having learned from what worked in Chicago and what failed. I think Lovie could be successful in Tampa if he evolves as a coach. I'm going to follow Tampa closely this season because I'm just curious to see if Lovie can evolve and learn from past mistakes, while building on his strengths.