Do you think we've done enough in the off-season to win the Division this year?

Discussion in 'Chicago Bears' started by JustAnotherBearsFan99, May 19, 2014.

?

Do you think we've done enough in the off-season to win the Division this year?

1. soulman

soulman Pro-Bowler SuperFan DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +1,914 / 7 / -3
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,760ß
    We'll never know how much of a handicap Lovie was under as far as his offenses go and whether the problem was self-induced or if JA had a lot to do with it because he simply failed to obtain enough good offensive players.

Lovie is one of those "throwback" coaches who builds a scheme and then does all he can to perfect it with the right players executing it well. He had an almost slavish Vince Lombardi like devotion to running a simple scheme and just out playing the other guy and as far as his defenses go for the most part it worked. Or at least it did against middle of the road competition. The better teams were able to pick it apart though and you're right, he never changed or adapted it to prevent that.

The rules so favor offenses now that a successful team needs either an offensive minded HC or a very, very good OC who can teach his system to the players. It also helps to have a Brady or a Manning or a Rodgers to lean on. QBs who can basically put a team on their backs and win games. That' a level Cutler has shown some promise in but he's not there yet and he needs to be.

I'm sure Lovie will be successful in TB because he's a good coach and player like playing for him but whether he'll ever win a Super Bowl is IMHO doubtful. He lacks the intensity and killer instinct.
  2. DaTreeBears

DaTreeBears Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +691 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    395ß
    Defense wise we have way more depth this year than last year. But in all honesty the offense was obvious need of help and to give depth to both sides of the ball last year would have been impossible with all the fixes required on the o-line last year. I liked Pep BUT he has gotten old he even talk about taking plays off last year that hurt his play. I think he's on big tail slide of his career and he about done so GB will be weaker with him we are stronger without him. If I recall from last year if our D had a shred of backbone to have stopped the run we would have won the game even before the blown Conte play. The D last year was atrocious beyond any Bear team I have ever seen I have seen some bad Bear teams trust me. So this D on paper looks much better and middle of pack D is all we need and we beat GB.
  3. 4dabers

4dabers Veteran DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +747 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    89ß
    I'll be honest, and this may sound like a homer, but I believe what I'm about to say. I think the Packers are going to start declining on Offense. Don't get me wrong, any team with Aaron Rodgers is going to have their share of success. My logic is this:
    I believe what Cutler said last year is right; that it takes three years to fully develop an offense, but after that offense is fully implemented, I think you have a good three to four year run before it starts getting stale and opposing defenses are able to defend it better. In addition, unless you have a really steady stream of replacement players within that offense that can play at or above the same level as their predecessors, it is really hard to maintain a top offense for a period of 5 or 6 years. Oh, it can be done, it's just very difficult. Personally, I'm confident that the Division worm is about to turn. I would not be shocked if people start talking about the Bears as the team to beat in our Division by 2016. That may require a Superbowl victory, but I'm pretty confident be can be there by next year.

OK, insert your homer alert ridicule now. :smilebig:
    • Like Like x 2
  4. Bearsinhouston

Bearsinhouston Position Coach

Ratings:
    +1,877 / 7 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,178ß
    Sometime inflexibility comes from the feeling that you already have the best mouse trap any it does not need to be changed (I actually did see a lot of that self confidence in Lovie, and the facts never seemed to shake his confidence), but it can also come from the real inability to make adjustments. I am on shaky ground here if I were to venture whether or not Lovie had that ability. Just like Tucker, I never really saw it in him though.
    • Like Like x 2
  5. JustAnotherBearsFan99

JustAnotherBearsFan99 Coordinator SuperFan DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +2,658 / 3 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,158ß
    I believe Lovie was exactly as you describe. He felt he had the perfect defensive mousetrap and instead of adjusting the game plan he believed the defensive players simply needed to execute the existing plan better. In player interviews you could hear the defensive players believed this too. One problem though, was that the offense (especially against the best teams) would be doing 3-and-outs and also turn the ball over (often in killer bad field position) and the defense would just be gassed. The offense was so weak that it indirectly killed the defense. And Lovie didn't have the skill set to do much with the offense. He gave the total control on offense to his OC's. Jerry Angelo was putting mediocre talent on the roster on offense so it was a recipe for disaster. Especially against the top-tier opponents.

But some of this is fixable in Tampa. If Lovie can have a decent offense and OC there, in addition to the solid defense then he has a shot at doing well there IMHO. It's a bit "if" though.
  6. Bearsinhouston

Ratings:
    +1,877 / 7 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,178ß
    I have no idea how you can say this. The man gave us Webb, Omiyale, Hester as a true #1 WR, Carmini, Roy Williams, Hanie, Barber, Major Wright, Meriweather, Hurd, Chris Williams, Kellen Davis, etc. All being led by the offensive genius that was Mike Tice.

I am still trying to piece together how we never won a SB with these guys.
  7. 4dabers

4dabers Veteran DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +747 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    89ß
    Angelo did much better in FA and the draft prior to 2007. Just sayin.
  8. jackiejokeman

jackiejokeman Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +215 / 2 / -1
    ßearz ßuckz:
    513ß
    NFL FOOTBALL is BRUTE FORCE and DECEPTION.

Thats what the soccer fans around the world will never understand.

Which is just kicking a ball back and forth.

Deception is a lateral in their catagory of sports.

Even in MLB theres a Bunt ... a sacrifice ... stepping into the pitch to take first ,which is deception.

All the Grand Master Chess Players know its all about Deception.

Applied with Brute Force.

Hockey there is no deception ... its just Brute Force.

Basketball wherever Phil Jackson hangs his hat at coach is the closest thing to NFL Football.
  9. DaTreeBears

DaTreeBears Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +691 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    395ß
    Phil Jackson always required the best players in the NBA to win period. He was the best baby sitter of all coaches in the NBA when comes to prima donnas that was his forte.
    • Like Like x 1
  10. little bear

little bear Assistant Head Coach

Ratings:
    +908 / 1 / -2
    ßearz ßuckz:
    899ß
    He also gave us Cutler, Forte, Tillman, Briggs, Peppers and Gould. :thumb:
  11. Bearsinhouston

Ratings:
    +1,877 / 7 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,178ß
    oh yeah... No one bats 100 and no one bats 0.

Angelo was actually not horrible. I'm having a little fun at his expense, but I definitely think that Emery so far has been much better. Angelo had too many misses. I've seen worse for sure, but I'm glad he is gone and we now have Emery
    • Like Like x 1
  12. Ski-Whiz

Ski-Whiz George Halas Staff Member

Ratings:
    +962 / 1 / -2
    ßearz ßuckz:
    524ß
    I agree. The Bears are no longer the easy two wins they get every year. We never really had the offense to keep up with them. With us allegedly plugging our holes in the defense, we will be better.

The whole reason we lost a LOT of games last year was that we had the shittiest defense in the league.
    • Like Like x 1
  13. Ojibway Bob

Ojibway Bob Veteran SuperFan

Ratings:
    +102 / 0 / -1
    ßearz ßuckz:
    101ß
    Let's not forget that like Cutler, Rodgers is getting older and a bit more frail......he has been hit and sacked a lot as we'll and if I'm not mistaken he has been injured in the past couple of seasons where as he missed a few games here and there not including last year. Now we have Samarai Shea in his true position and if I had bear bucks I'd bet he will be gunning for Rodgers again....
    • Like Like x 1
  14. Bearsinhouston

Ratings:
    +1,877 / 7 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,178ß
    Here is our Martial Arts coach showing Shea how to rip out a guys tonsils with his fingertip. If only we had this special training when Butkus was around. There would be a trail of spleens, kidneys, and liver parts on the field. Butkus would have gone in through their navels and just pulled out the first thing he found.

[​IMG]
  15. JJ-30

JJ-30 Veteran

Ratings:
    +167 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    56ß
    On paper YES, on the field we will all just have to wait and see.
    • Like Like x 1
  16. Grizzblue

Grizzblue Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +482 / 2 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    92ß
    I actually agree 4da. I think GB is posied to take a step back. I think their offensive line and WR corps are both deteriorating. Their defense added both Pep and Dix but both come with some serious risk. If just one of the two do not work out as they thought, that unit could take a step back.

So to answer the question, yes I think we can take the division this year. We were one play away (not the infamous last defensive play alone) in the last 4 min from winning it last year. Our offense failed to get the last first down (huge dropped pass by AJ) and our defense....per usual....failed to stop a 90 some odd yard drive. If one more play was made one either side of the ball this thread would read "can we keep our title."

We have made monster improvements while GB I think made marginal at best. Houston, Allen, Fuller, Mundy (i guess) are all instant upgrades. Ego, Sutton, Carey are all upgrades in the depth positions who will get time. Vereen is nobody to sleep on either. Wilson, Bostic, Shea, Long, Mills, AJ, are all young and it's extremely likely will play better than last year.

So yeah, if those idiots up north aren't secretly sweating and voicing concerns on their boards, then well....dumber than I thought.
    • Like Like x 1
  17. soulman

soulman Pro-Bowler SuperFan DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +1,914 / 7 / -3
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,760ß
    That's exactly what happened in many games where the expected stop or big turnover didn't come. Look at the Bears record when we won the turn over battle by a wide margin as opposed to not. We won when the defense won the game one way or another and lost when they couldn't quite pull it off. There was never a Bears offense that was good enough to put a good team away. Only the middle of the road teams. So we beat up on them but lost to the best. It was that way for quite a while.

Now it's a completely different team. This offense can put a team down and step on their throats. This team can ring up 30 points and more a game on offense so in that regard we are close to matching the Packers ability to score. If Tucker can get that defense anywhere near as effective as they used to be then we can compete for championships now. The question is will he. I don't care how well you score you can't win big without a top defense.
    • Agree Agree x 1