Does Palmer + Edwards Mean no McCowan

Discussion in 'Chicago Bears' started by tbear1, Aug 21, 2013.

1. tbear1

tbear1 Veteran

Ratings:
    +207 / 1 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    159ß
    With two new potential back-up QB's, does this open the opportunity to get rid of McCowan? Based on a quick search on Palmer and Edwards, I don't see them as a serious threat to Cutler. But if they get rid of McCowan, will that send a subtle message to Cutler that performance matters?
    • Like Like x 1
  2. Bearsinhouston

Bearsinhouston Position Coach

Ratings:
    +1,894 / 7 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,219ß
    I don't think so, but that's just my thought.
  3. The Benjamin

The Benjamin George Halas Staff Member

Ratings:
    +2,066 / 7 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,316ß
    no. It will be a battle for third string
    • Like Like x 1
  4. Adibear

Adibear Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +31 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    YEP its the all important 3rd string
  5. tbear1

tbear1 Veteran

Ratings:
    +207 / 1 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    159ß
    These guys don't seem to have less talent than McCowan. The only advantage with mcc is he knows the plays/system.
  6. The Benjamin

Ratings:
    +2,066 / 7 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,316ß
    None of them are all that good. In the battle of bad backups, I would rather have the guy who knows the system (which all are learning, no one really knows it since it is a new coach) and one who knows the players. That would be McCown
  7. tbear1

tbear1 Veteran

Ratings:
    +207 / 1 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    159ß
    This should be saved for posterity...
  8. JustAnotherBearsFan99

JustAnotherBearsFan99 Coordinator SuperFan DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +2,710 / 3 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,237ß
    I'm still sick over Blanchard getting hurt. I'm am SO wanting to see if Trestman really is a QB guru, and we won't know until he actually develops a young guy. Palmer and Edwards have no future anywhere. Palmer is a joke. And McCown is probably a better fit for this team than Edwards (and McCown is a marginal player too). When you think about it, our QB situation stinks. The jury is still out on Cutler, and the rest of the players right now are crap. I was sure hoping Blanchard might be worth developing.
    • Like Like x 3
  9. The Benjamin

Ratings:
    +2,066 / 7 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,316ß
    Feel free to save it. If the Bears are forced to start any of them for any meaningful period of time, the team is screwed.

They are all bad QBs. They were all unemployed for a very good reason
    • Like Like x 3
  10. tbear1

tbear1 Veteran

Ratings:
    +207 / 1 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    159ß
    I agree.
  11. riczaj01

riczaj01 DaBears Ditka DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +3,327 / 9 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,505ß
    no. As bad as McCown is these guys are not going to replace him. If Blanchard had played lites out maybe.
    • Like Like x 1
  12. Nakoma1

Nakoma1 Veteran

Ratings:
    +183 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:

I 'd like to think this is the way it may pan out. I sure hope it does ... McCown is as worthless as Webb hasn 't impressed me at all
    • Like Like x 1
  13. Bearsinhouston

Bearsinhouston Position Coach

Ratings:
    +1,894 / 7 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,219ß
    McCown is not a person I would like to see as a starter, but honestly, I just don't get why people dislike him so much. As a BU QB, he really is pretty decent. I never thought I would say this, but after last season, he certainly plays better than Cambell "Mr Checkdown" played. Can we do better? sure. Should we do better? sure. But we aren't going to and he can get us through a game. Cambell could not.
    • Like Like x 2
  14. lklrlolnlilklsox

lklrlolnlilklsox Position Coach

Ratings:
    +316 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    61ß
    I like to think of it as the battle for who gets the first "off the streets" phone call in case of emergency during the season. More likely, there will be more worthwhile options on some team's PS.
    • Like Like x 1
  15. MPbears68

MPbears68 Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +1,376 / 2 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    400ß
    Relax, geez, this is a minor injury and on his non-throwing hand. Just a temporary setback. It's not going to prevent whatever development Blanchard would have otherwise had. And MB wasn't going to see the field in RS anyway. He isn't Colin Kaepernick.

Palmer and Edwards are just camp arms for PS with Blanchard out. Neither one of them will be on the final roster.
  16. shark86x

shark86x Pro-Bowler SuperFan

Ratings:
    +706 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    321ß
    I think these guys are camp bodies only, and were signed to get through preseason game 4 Where Cutler won't play and McCown will get little time. That game would have been Blanchard's.

Now if Matt can't get back soon enough, I would think they keep one of these two. But I don't think either are here for long.
  17. JustAnotherBearsFan99

JustAnotherBearsFan99 Coordinator SuperFan DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +2,710 / 3 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,237ß
    The injury came at a tough time for Blanchard. He would have had extremely valuable playing time in pre-season. He needed that. Once the regular season begins, he's not going to be able to re-coup that precious development time. He could end up on the practice squad again, but that's not a given.

Here's a couple of brief things that made me think Blanchard was a lock to make the 53-man roster, but who now could end up anywhere from IR to being on the practice squad -- assuming he passed through waivers without being claimed by another team. Granted, he probably wouldn't get claimed on waivers, but that's not a slam dunk.

• Like Like x 1
  18. WearyBear

WearyBear Rookie

Ratings:
    +31 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    Yeah, it's too bad about Blanchard, I really wanted to see what he could do now that it's his second year. The only problem I have with Blanchard is that the Bears are constantly looking for a steal at the quarterback position. I know that Cutler is an exception to that rule but he really hasn't proved himself either. It seems that when it comes to the quarterback position they just can't seem to draft or acquire anyone who can actually play the position at a high level consistently. Look at some of the former first rounders like McNown and Grossman, and some of the acquistions weren't that great either. One name that comes to mind is Rick Mirer. Kramer and Miller were ok but after those two some of quarterbacks were pretty bad. Henry Burris and Kordell Stewart comes to mind. I think Steve Walsh would have been ok if he would of had a stronger arm. Years ago they even signed Mike Phipps after it was pretty much proven that he couldn't play. Hopefully this will change with Trestman on board.
  19. little bear

little bear Assistant Head Coach

Ratings:
    +918 / 1 / -2
    ßearz ßuckz:
    926ß
    Looks like McCown won't play Game 4 at all. As far as I know Palmer will play one half, Edwards the other.
    • Like Like x 1
  20. weneedmorelinemen

weneedmorelinemen Veteran

Ratings:
    +387 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    108ß
    I think they have made the decision already. They will carry 2 QB's, Cutler and McCown. I heard Trestman talking about these two on the radio, and something that caught the ears of the radio hosts (I do not remember which station I was listening to) said it was odd Trestman specifically said it will be good for Palmer and Edwards to get some game tape of them for other teams to check them out as well as for the Bears.

I think we are renting these guys to get through the preseason and not injure Cutler and McCown. It doesn't seem like Trestman wants to go into the season with a backup that isn't familiar with his offense.
    • Like Like x 2