Does Palmer + Edwards Mean no McCowan

Discussion in 'Chicago Bears' started by tbear1, Aug 21, 2013.

1. 4dabers

4dabers Veteran DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +637 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    20ß
    Hey look at it this way, if Cutty goes down for any meaningful period of time, then we'll get a real good shot at one of the top QB's in the 2014 draft while still having a reasonably good team around him. Of course, we have eleventyhundred FA's on the roster to sign as well.;)
    • Like Like x 1
  2. Henry Burris

Henry Burris Head Coach

Ratings:
    +2,198 / 8 / -7
    ßearz ßuckz:
    82ß
    Likely not. Edwards wouldn't surprise me, as he had a rather promising start to his career, but Bills fans point to this as his demise as a starter:

Either way, they're all basically cheaper versions of Jason Campbell, and this next draft is supposed to be full of qb's, so at most, the odds are against them even being here longer than this season.
  3. BearJim

BearJim Veteran SuperFan DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +141 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    I think the signings are mostly so we can continue to evaluate our young skill position players. Last week when Blanchard went down we just ran the ball the entire 2nd half because we didn't want to risk McCown getting hurt. Thus guys like Anderson, Wilson & Tolliver didn't get any opportunities to show what they can do. We just can't have that in these last two games. Most of our starters are set so the last game & 1/2 of the preseason will help Trestman & company make the right decisions for the bottom half of the roster & PS. There is also a slight chance we keep 3 QBs if one of them plays well.

Good move in my estimation.
  4. MPbears68

MPbears68 Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +987 / 1 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    20ß
    I agree. These guys area camp arms only to not risk McCown. Small chance either of them sticks. Cut and McC are the QBs and Blanchard is PUP or PS.
  5. lklrlolnlilklsox

lklrlolnlilklsox Position Coach

Ratings:
    +274 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    No PUP since he participated in TC. I would hope we could work out a deal with him to stick around until he gets healthy and leave him off the 53-man roster, but I don't think there's much chance he clears waivers. Though he is a potentially valuable young player, I'd rather not waste our one IR spot this season on him as it would be a disaster for him to be pressed into meaningful action. I think they'll still carry him out of camp as he is the type of backup you can be fine carrying with a minor, short-term injury.
  6. Bearsinhouston

Bearsinhouston Hall of Famer

Ratings:
    +999 / 2 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    19ß
    He won't clear waivers. I hope Trestman and Emery can see that. Even if he is as yet unproven, there have been enough positives and there are enough QB starved teams that someone will pick him up and wantto continue to develop him. The Bears coaches have been very high on him and that will not be lost on other teams looking for young QBs when he hits waivers.
    • Like Like x 1