Draft Grades are IN....Pete Prisco gives Emery an A!!!

Discussion in 'Chicago Bears' started by BradMustersGhost, May 10, 2014.

1. BradMustersGhost

BradMustersGhost Veteran

Ratings:
    +355 / 1 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    330ß
    http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/writer...f-as-and-no-fs-much-to-like-in-2014-nfl-draft

Here is what Prisco had to say about our draft:

"Chicago Bears: The Bears drafted a lot of players that fit their needs on defense. I really liked what they did. First-round corner Kyle Fuller was the best CB in this class in my mind. Following that up with two defensive tackles who have really high ceilings was smart. Phil Emery continues to impress as Bears GM."
    • Like Like x 3
  2. riczaj01

riczaj01 DaBears Ditka DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +3,654 / 10 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,839ß
    ya this was by far his best overall draft, there is very little to complain about, and if the most people have to complain about is the 6th-7th round guys, then congrats to the GM
    • Like Like x 1
  3. 4th and 26

4th and 26 George Halas Staff Member

Ratings:
    +754 / 4 / -6
    ßearz ßuckz:
    632ß
    Lets hope our picks pan out over the years and not become injured or busts.
  4. riczaj01

Ratings:
    +3,654 / 10 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,839ß
    some will inevitably bust out or be lost to inj, but hopefully a few late round guys step in and make it to help w/that toll.

There are some quality UDFA's out there so hopefully the Bears can land some decent guys.

37 underclassman didn't get drafted, that's not including seniors so should be a big influx of young potential guys for PS's around the league.
    • Like Like x 1
  5. omc1969

omc1969 Veteran

Ratings:
    +216 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    37ß
    It seems to me that Emery drafted for the "D" the same way he did for the "O" last year. Good job Phil !
    :smile:
    • Like Like x 2
  6. Ski-Whiz

Ski-Whiz George Halas Staff Member

Ratings:
    +976 / 1 / -2
    ßearz ßuckz:
    563ß
    No one will know until next year.

However, he is filling our needs. That's something the past regime hasn't filled every need. They would touch some of the need, but they would draft a good player regardless on whether we needed him. A lot of teams don't like to pass on a star player.

Phil is doing a good job and is hitting everything, good players and filling needs.
    • Like Like x 2
  7. omc1969

omc1969 Veteran

Ratings:
    +216 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    37ß
    I'd like to add that there will also be another round of FA once the camp cuts get under way and some of those may be for cap reasons as opposed to being lower tier players.
    :lol 027:
    • Like Like x 2
  8. riczaj01

Ratings:
    +3,654 / 10 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,839ß
    There's that also, I'm hoping they can improve their S and LB squad through that OMC
    • Like Like x 1
  9. omc1969

omc1969 Veteran

Ratings:
    +216 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    37ß
    My thoughts exactly Ric. Emery may think that there will be better talent in FA at the safety position so why waste a pick when he can fill the need anyway.
    :lol 027:
  10. BSBEARS

BSBEARS Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +920 / 4 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,087ß
    They have several UDFA they have committed to. Hopefully one of them can play SS.
  11. soulman

soulman Pro-Bowler SuperFan DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +1,914 / 7 / -3
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,761ß
    I think they feel they have a starting SS in Ryan Mundy and I think Vereen is the guy they want competing with Conte for the FS spot. We've also got Steltz, McCray, Martin and Jennings in the mix at Safety as well. None of the UDFA they list is a DB so I doubt they feel there are players out there who are any better than those we already have on the roster although if a vet S is cut elsewhere who seems to be an upgrade I wouldn't but it past them to pick him up.

The way the picks fell forced Emery into a Plan B approach but I feel he did as well with it as he could. So far I don't see one wasted pick and at least 6 of the 8 picks should make the team and maybe all 8 if we count the PS. Most of all he covered the defensive needs well and added a couple of productive college players as prospects for backups at RB and QB. I still give it a B grade because a lot depends on how well the risks he took on Ferguson and Sutton pay off and although Fuller was a good pick he still wasn't Aaron Donald. It was a tough break losing him just one pick earlier.

The real bargains in this draft may be the guys he took in the middle rounds. Sutton may or may not ever be as good a pro as Donald but he was the right guy to take once Donald was no longer a possibility. Sutton was his Plan B at DT just as Fuller was his Plan B in one if Donald was taken. Carey was a good pick at RB because he has a running style that's different than Forte's an compliments it well plus he can catch and block and that's not an easy package to find. The smartest pick though may be Vereen. This kid has the makings of a real "find" that late in the draft. I believe that if he'd spent his entire year at Safety rather than being shifted to CB like he was throughout his college career that he may well have been taken much higher. I really don't see all that much difference between him and the 2nd round ranked guys who ended up going in one.
  12. strockrocks

strockrocks Veteran

Ratings:
    +218 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    32ß
    Soul, you keep on saying that possibly 6/8 will make the team. I'm assuming one of them is Leno and by process of elimination, I would think Fales is the other one, correct?
  13. soulman

soulman Pro-Bowler SuperFan DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +1,914 / 7 / -3
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,761ß
    Pretty much L. Fales could make the 53 man roster if they keep 3 QBs but I think Leno will have a tough time finding a spot with guys like Britton, Brown, and De la Puente ahead of him. They normally keep 8 OL and dress 7 on game day so that already leaves at least one of those guys inactive every week. It'll take an injury to one of those 8 for a guy to move up from the PS.

But 5 of the other 6; Fuller, Ferguson, Sutton, Carey, Vereen, are locks and O'Donnell has a pretty high likelihood of winning the P job. Emery sounds really high on the kid and if you spend a pick on a punter you pretty much expect him to win the job. Whether or not Fales makes the roster kind of depends on how much risk they're willing to take keeping him on the PS where he'd be exposed to another team taking him from us. I expect he'll win the battle for the #3 QB spot.
    • Like Like x 1