Draft Grades are IN....Pete Prisco gives Emery an A!!!

Discussion in 'Chicago Bears' started by BradMustersGhost, May 10, 2014.

1. soulman

soulman Coordinator
    SuperFan DBS Writer

ßearz ßuckz:
    4,207ß
    Please Register or Log in to Remove this Advertisement!
    I think they feel they have a starting SS in Ryan Mundy and I think Vereen is the guy they want competing with Conte for the FS spot. We've also got Steltz, McCray, Martin and Jennings in the mix at Safety as well. None of the UDFA they list is a DB so I doubt they feel there are players out there who are any better than those we already have on the roster although if a vet S is cut elsewhere who seems to be an upgrade I wouldn't but it past them to pick him up.

The way the picks fell forced Emery into a Plan B approach but I feel he did as well with it as he could. So far I don't see one wasted pick and at least 6 of the 8 picks should make the team and maybe all 8 if we count the PS. Most of all he covered the defensive needs well and added a couple of productive college players as prospects for backups at RB and QB. I still give it a B grade because a lot depends on how well the risks he took on Ferguson and Sutton pay off and although Fuller was a good pick he still wasn't Aaron Donald. It was a tough break losing him just one pick earlier.

The real bargains in this draft may be the guys he took in the middle rounds. Sutton may or may not ever be as good a pro as Donald but he was the right guy to take once Donald was no longer a possibility. Sutton was his Plan B at DT just as Fuller was his Plan B in one if Donald was taken. Carey was a good pick at RB because he has a running style that's different than Forte's an compliments it well plus he can catch and block and that's not an easy package to find. The smartest pick though may be Vereen. This kid has the makings of a real "find" that late in the draft. I believe that if he'd spent his entire year at Safety rather than being shifted to CB like he was throughout his college career that he may well have been taken much higher. I really don't see all that much difference between him and the 2nd round ranked guys who ended up going in one.

2. strockrocks

strockrocks Veteran

ßearz ßuckz:
    108ß
    Soul, you keep on saying that possibly 6/8 will make the team. I'm assuming one of them is Leno and by process of elimination, I would think Fales is the other one, correct?

3. soulman

soulman Coordinator
    SuperFan DBS Writer

ßearz ßuckz:
    4,207ß
    Pretty much L. Fales could make the 53 man roster if they keep 3 QBs but I think Leno will have a tough time finding a spot with guys like Britton, Brown, and De la Puente ahead of him. They normally keep 8 OL and dress 7 on game day so that already leaves at least one of those guys inactive every week. It'll take an injury to one of those 8 for a guy to move up from the PS.

But 5 of the other 6; Fuller, Ferguson, Sutton, Carey, Vereen, are locks and O'Donnell has a pretty high likelihood of winning the P job. Emery sounds really high on the kid and if you spend a pick on a punter you pretty much expect him to win the job. Whether or not Fales makes the roster kind of depends on how much risk they're willing to take keeping him on the PS where he'd be exposed to another team taking him from us. I expect he'll win the battle for the #3 QB spot.

• Like Like x 1