Draft mocks give a person a better appreciation for how hard it must be to do the real draft.

Discussion in 'Front Page News' started by JustAnotherBearsFan99, Nov 21, 2014.

1. JustAnotherBearsFan99

JustAnotherBearsFan99 Coordinator SuperFan DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +3,058 / 4 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,783ß
    Like a lot of people here on the Bears message board, I've been passing time by doing a few (extremely) early draft mocks through the http://www.first-pick.com/ draft game. I realize that this is just a game and it is a million times easier than actually doing a real draft. But even the game gives a better appreciation for how tough it is to get a balance between BPA (best player available) and actually getting players who can fill critical needs on the roster.

You can almost lose your mind trying to balance the two.

I've come to the conclusion that with a team like ours, with so many serious holes in the roster, you can't go strictly BPA. That sounds all well and good in theory, but in practice I end up with a lot of WR's and RB's and no defensive players. I wonder if this is typical or is this coming draft deep in good WR's? I figure the RB's are not valued by teams as much as other positions, so you end up with a ton of them dropping to later rounds. RB's that are graded out as top end talent drop like rocks in the draft and are a dime a dozen.

At the same time, quality defensive players get grabbed up so fast that the only way you're going to fill holes on our roster at S, LB, DE and safety - is to reach for a player that is really graded lower than the draft position you spend. Sometimes it quite a big reach too. I can see Emery getting crucified in the media if he went this route (and reached for players to plug critical needs). Yet you can't be a purist either, and draft a bunch of RB's and WR's. I guess this is why we overpay FA's some times.

I'm not very good at these mocks but here are a few of the ones I ran recently. Here's a couple that try to plug holes on the roster, but they're not even close to BPA:

The only way I could even get close to patching our roster for next year was to get a trading partner (and I realize that's not easy either). Here are a couple I was able to put together with a trade down scenario:

[​IMG]

And this one would get us one of the top safeties:

[​IMG]
    Maybe a few of you can post some better ones here in this thread. I'm curious to see how you guys balance the BPA with our roster needs. Fire away :-)
    • Like Like x 1
  2. a_miljan

a_miljan Veteran

Ratings:
    +330 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    160ß
    i say we draft 6-7 qbs and let them fight it out... of course jAy is our starting qb no matter what :)
  3. JustAnotherBearsFan99

Ratings:
    +3,058 / 4 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,783ß
    I figure that Jay is going to stay for a few more seasons. So the only way we can overcome this hurdle is to have a solid defense. The offense already has incredible talent and weapons......probably more than most teams in the NFL (other than at QB). This offense is what it is.

But a solid defense can help a team overcome a mediocre QB.

I am convinced that THIS is our only hope to improve the team while saddled with Jay Cutler. We have to have a defense that can overcome the turnovers deep in our territory, and overcome days when the offense scores very little (our losses this year have had us scoring 14 points, 17 points, 20 points etc). It's going to take a really good defense to hold teams to less than those kind of point production outings.

I think we've already pumped too many financial resources into an offense whose ceiling is dictated by Jay Cutler. The return on our cap investment is not coming on offense. So lets focus on the defense which CAN improve. Maybe on some of those 14 point or 17 point days when "Bad Jay" is giving the football away, we can still get a few wins. One can hope anyway :-)
  4. B-ell-y-iot

B-ell-y-iot Veteran SuperFan DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +464 / 2 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    444ß
    This is my preferred draft. I'd really like to add a couple of physical safeties and Collins and Prewitt fit the bill nicely. With some clever trades, I think it'd be possible to come away with a strong MLB or OLB and these two safeties. I wasn't able to do it. I don't particularly like the DE pick in the second round and if I were actually drafting this, I would probably would have traded down and tried to get Prewitt with a late second round pick while adding a third round pick (maybe a CB?)

It is hard to balance your needs. At the same time though, I'm lacking a lot of the knowledge of players and knowledge of needs and system fits our scout team has.

Your score is: 5494 (GRADE: A-)

Your Picks:
    Round 1 Pick 12: Landon Collins, SS, Alabama (A)
    Round 2 Pick 12: Arik Armstead, DE, Oregon (A)
    Round 3 Pick 12: Cody Prewitt, FS, Ole Miss (A)
    Round 4 Pick 12: Geneo Grissom, OLB, Oklahoma (A-)
    Round 6 Pick 12: Ladarius Gunter, CB, Miami (Fla.) (A)
    Round 7 Pick 12: C.J. Uzomah, TE, Auburn (A)
    • Like Like x 1
  5. JustAnotherBearsFan99

Ratings:
    +3,058 / 4 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,783ß

That would be a solid draft. It would sure upgrade our roster. I'm beginning to think that the Bears best hope for being solid again is to upgrade the defense. I really believe this will have the greatest positive impact upon our future success.