Draft Myths; Great Article by Agent Jack Bechta............

Discussion in 'Chicago Bears' started by soulman, Apr 11, 2014.

1. soulman

soulman Pro-Bowler SuperFan DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +1,835 / 6 / -3
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,495ß
    I really do like a lot of what Bechta writes year round from an agents perspective. As Matt Bowen is to the technical side of things and Greg Gabriel to scouting, Bechta has some great insights from an agents perspective and confirms many of the things we've already talked about. I'll highlight a few.

Draft Myths
    Sensational headlines, sleepers, and more. Jack Bechta

Print This April 09, 2014, 05:30 AM EST
    We in the trenches of the industry get plenty of laughs this time of year. The amount of speculation, sensationalism and misinformation floating around is entertaining. The NFL Network, ESPN, team beat writers, bloggers and websites have to keep football season alive. To do so, they have to get your attention. So when it comes to the draft, don’t believe anything you hear or read from now until draft day.

Here are a few draft related headlines I read recently that are trying to get your attention:

“Chiefs can steal perfect QB in 3rd round”:
    First of all, any QB drafted in the 3rd round is not a steal. QBs, regardless of where they are drafted take some time to develop. Furthermore, the concept of a “steal” is over going into the players 4th season when the team has to pay up on a new deal. Who knows what QB will be available in the 3rd round?

Manziel made good impression during Raiders visits: Of course he made a good impression. He’s a charismatic, confident and can talk football with anyone. 95% of all players make great impressions on their team visits. We agents make sure of that. Furthermore, a team isn’t going to tell a national reporter the guy made a horrible impression. Trying to match the Raiders to Manziel on a visit comment is well, entertainment.

When a team brings a player in for a visit that most likely means they already love him. Or maybe his pro day was during the owners meetings and the GM and HC couldn’t make it and want to visit with him just to ensure a comfort level.

Player X’s stock is slipping due to poor pro day: (not going to use his name) Representing three to five new draft picks every year I hate seeing these types of headlines. Some poor kid and his family are trying to live out their dream and some reporter/writer/blogger, who most likely wasn’t even in attendance, is announcing to the world that his dream is being slowly crushed. Firstly, pro days count very little towards a players overall value. If a high-profile draftnik like Mayock or Kiper make one negative comment about one component of the player’s pro day, the lemmings follow suit.

Some First round sleepers to keep your eye on: It’s extremely difficult for players to hide these days. Players do fall through the cracks of the system, but true sleepers don’t get drafted in the first 4 rounds. Any players drafted in these rounds are most likely on all 32 draft boards. A sleeper is an unknown player who flies deep under the radar. Actually many NFL people will tell you there is no such thing as a sleeper. Lets take Tom Brady for example. Tom was on many draft boards as a late rounder or undrafted free agent. However, there was a consensus around the league that he needed time to get bigger and stronger. Therefore, if you drafted him, he couldn’t help your team right away you so don’t draft him high. Had the Pats not drafted him another team would have before the draft was over.

A sleeper is a player who when one team takes him in the late rounds, about twenty teams are asking, “who the hell is that”. The sleeper pick or undrafted player is usually the work of a seasoned area scout. Area scouts know they can’t fight for every single player they like, so they usually pick one they have a special feeling about. They then recruit the director and coaches to watch film until he can get everyone to agree they want him.

I once had Jerry Angelo, then the scouting director for the Bucs, tell me to go to East Texas State and sign a safety named Curtis Buckley. Jerry told me this guy could turn out to be a great special teams player. I found him and signed him. There were no other agents pursuing him and only two teams I spoke to knew him. He made the Bucs in year one and went on to several Pro Bowls as a special teamer.

(Further proof of Jerry's talent for drafting Special Teamers and Safeties but little more, LOL)

Other notable sleepers: Broncos RB Terrell Davis – A transfer from Long Beach State to Georgia, where he played in the shadow of RB Garrison Hearst and was often injured his senior year. Many NFL teams wrote him off as a major medical risk.

Vikings and HOF DT John Randle is my favorite sleeper of all time. The Bucs actually had him as an undrafted free agent but he didn’t fit their scheme so they let him go a few weeks after the draft. The Vikings regional scout named Fitzpatrick loved him and brought him in. The Vikes were one of the first teams to run the style 4-3 which John’s skill set was a perfect fit. Now that’s a true sleeper.

So enjoy the entertainment for the next month.

Follow me on Twitter: @Jackbechta
  2. soulman

Ratings:
    +1,835 / 6 / -3
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,495ß
    Some interesting and wise advice and a few cautions to not believe all you read or hear between now and Draft Weekend. Like Bechta says, and I concur, most if not all of the so called daft gurus are now employed by major sports networks and there job is to get you to tune in and watch or listen. They do a good job of it to apparently or they wouldn't keep bringing them back.

But the caution here, as Bechta points out, is that if there is no news then in order to capture your attention they need to either make some up or take an event that would ordinarily not even merit more than a mere mention and turn it into something either disastrous or fantastic and which probably depends on either their own personal preference or they way their producer wants to spin it. Of course bad news always get's more attention than good so that pretty much tells us which way it will go if the producer is calling the shots.

I also like his comments about the things written by authors who weren't even there and simply parrot what another writer or talking head has said. Nobody annoys me more than that bunch who get paid to do a job but still won't get off their lazy asses and research it properly themselves. I'm surprised they don't just copy and paste one another like we do here. Most of us here do better research than that bunch and we don't get paid for it.

And last I liked his comments on sleepers. Wish he'd had some on reaches to because I don't believe in those either. Does a reach become a "sleeper" if he succeeds beyond expectations based on where he was taken? Probably not, and if he fails isn't he just a "bust" or a mistake? I'm with Bechta in that there are very few true sleepers and I personally maintain that "reaches" are simply calculated risks that have failed and many do. The team knew what it was doing and rolled the dice. Some win and some lose. If you win the guy was a real "find" no matter where you took him and if you lose he was just a "mistake".

Maybe we should write to Jack Bechta about some of those less than successful gambles JA took so he can throw those in anecdotally next time too. I couldn't resists a swipe at JA on the Safety/STeamer thing though. No wonder we drafted so many. That was obviously his specialty and maybe his ONLY specialty. It sure as hell wasn't OL, QBs, or WRs was it?

Anyway, I found this kind of interesting and even though it's not directly Bears related it is relative the draft which is all we've been talking about most of the time anyway. Hope you guys find it interesting too.
    • Like Like x 2
  3. Bearsinhouston

Bearsinhouston Position Coach

Ratings:
    +1,532 / 5 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    705ß
    Time article is not very timely. Now you guys explain the term "sleeper". All these years I thought it meant Lovie on the sidelines during a game!!
    • Like Like x 1
  4. omc1969

omc1969 Veteran

Ratings:
    +203 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    26ß
    Or during a post game press conference. LOL
    Bottom line is that the "Talking Heads" are there simply to garner the attention of the uninformed public and sell ads.
    :3 8 12v[1]:
    • Like Like x 2
  5. soulman

Ratings:
    +1,835 / 6 / -3
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,495ß
    Yep. I get a kick out of an ESPN tout for Mike Mayock's Mock Draft v4.0. To read it you have to pay and become an ESPN Insider. Screw that. I couldn't care less what Mayock has to say. We already know who the top two guy are at every position of need we have so why do I even care who HE thinks we'll take, or Mel Kiper, or Todd McShay or anyone of a dozen other guys whose peddled opinions are no better than my own and in some cases maybe not as good. I still see some really off the wall stuff.

Now if Phil Emery wants to call me collect and share his thoughts with me well that's a different story.
  6. Bearsinhouston

Bearsinhouston Position Coach

Ratings:
    +1,532 / 5 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    705ß
    You're serious? They want you to pay for a guys guess at to what the picks in the draft will be LOLOLOLOLOL!!!!!

ok, I'm accepting payment for my guesses on what the S&P Global 100 stock prices will be for the close of Business Monday. Now understand that they are just my guesses and I have a snowballs chance in hell of being right, but I know that someone will pay me. Why? Because I post on the internet!
    That has got to be the funniest and stupidest thing I have heard in a while. Yeah, as soon as the waist list gets short enough, I'm gonna do it. rrrriiiigggghhhtttt!!!
  7. omc1969

omc1969 Veteran

Ratings:
    +203 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    26ß
    Not only do they want you to pay but you can see him make his V4.0 on NFL Live on espn. But they still want you to pay to read it ?
    :10 4 1[1]:
  8. soulman

Ratings:
    +1,835 / 6 / -3
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,495ß
    Serious as a heart attack, or in Pam Anderson case a ruptured silicon sack. :pamela:

You have to pay for those Mocks that Kiper, Mayock, McShay and whoever do. Of course they probably send you a desk calendar and an official plastic NFL refs whistle too but I guess they sell enough to make it worthwhile. Hey, we pay our meteorologists here big money to be wrong about 4 out of every 10 days so there's no telling what people will spend money on. LOL
  9. butkus3595

butkus3595 Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +559 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    263ß
    I thought mayock wrote for nfl.com.