Draft prospects: Telvin Smith lb/ss Florida State

Discussion in 'Chicago Bears' started by EternalChampion, Mar 16, 2014.

1. EternalChampion

EternalChampion Veteran

Ratings:
    +140 / 0 / -1
    ßearz ßuckz:
    161ß
    Anyone here know much about this guy? I was watching video on Jernigan and this guy kept standing out. He's listed as a linebacker and acts like he wants to be one in the NFL, but he reminds me of Thomas Davis when he came out of Georgia. Imagine a SS that can cover AND tackle.

http://touch.orlandosentinel.com/#section/-1/article/p2p-79426043/

[/url]
    • Like Like x 1
  2. Grizzblue

Grizzblue Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +486 / 2 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    97ß
    I saw almost all their games and Smith is a pretty sure tackler but he's not a SS he's a lb. If you want a SS from FSU then your looking for Lamarcus Joyner, he has a great mix of coverage skills and tackling abity. Played every secondary position at some point this year.
    • Like Like x 1
  3. EternalChampion

EternalChampion Veteran

Ratings:
    +140 / 0 / -1
    ßearz ßuckz:
    161ß
    Thanks for the input. I'm concerned with Joyner's stature compared to Smith. 5'8" 184 for Joyner to 6'3" and 218 lbs for Smith. Smith looks like he can cover and has great hands. With him being a tweener, he may be more athletic losing 10 lbs rather than trying to gain 20 to be a linebacker in the NFL. He's already faster than Joyner and he looks like he plays even faster with pads on.

Remember, when Thomas Davis came out, there was skepticism that he couldn't hang in the defensive backfield.
  4. dabears70

dabears70 Veteran

Ratings:
    +62 / 1 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    74ß
    Actually they are talking about if he would be switched to SS because he's small for a LB. He is a sure tackler and i think he could play either SS or LB.
  5. BearJim

BearJim Veteran SuperFan DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +163 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    55ß
    The kid reminds me of Brooks from FSU that was a great player for Tampa Bay. Most said he was too small to play LB too. I just think the kid is a good football player. If ya draft him worst case he's a top notch ST guy & solid backup. Great mid Rd pic IMHO.
  6. BearDownUnder

BearDownUnder Veteran

Ratings:
    +71 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    35ß
    We definitely could do with at least one LB who has coverage skills. Williams and Biggs can both read the play and get in the right spots but they aren't the LB you need to take a TE one on one and neither are McLellin or Bostic.
    • Like Like x 1