Draughn Begins To Cement Job As #2 RB...................

Discussion in 'Chicago Bears' started by soulman, Aug 19, 2014.

1. soulman

soulman Pro-Bowler SuperFan DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +1,914 / 7 / -3
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,761ß
    Shaun Draughn Emerging As Chicago Bears Backup RB

by Jordan Campbell 1d ago

Veteran running back Shaun Draughn is quickly emerging as the backup to starting running back Matt Forte.

When training camp started for the Chicago Bears, Draughn’s emergence was not in the plans.

By this time in the Pre-Season, the Bears were hoping for Ka’Deem Carey to emerge as the backup to Forte. The Bears selected Carey in the fourth round of the 2014 NFL Draft. Carey, who was a standout running back at the University of Arizona, fell in the draft due to his slow 40-yard dash time. Carey ran a 4.7 40 and that has raised questions over how successful the rookie running back can be in the NFL.

Success is something that Carey has yet to achieve during the Pre-Season with the Bears.

In the Bears first’ Pre-Season game, Carey rushed for 23 yards on 10 carries which only resulted in 2.3 yards per carry average. Against the Jacksonville Jaguars this past Thursday, Carey rushed for 36 yards on 13 carries and that resulted in 2.8 yards per carry average.

Meanwhile, Draughn stood out against the Jaguars. Draughn rushed for 33 yards on 3 carries in the Bears victory on Thursday night.

Draughn has had the considerable advantage over Carey this summer. Draughn has continuously worked with the second team offense while Carey works predominantly with the third team offense. At this point, Draughn has become the favorite to be the backup to Forte to start the season.

If Draughn makes the roster, that could create an interesting roster situation for the Bears. Carey likely would not be cut because of the fact that he is a 4th round draft pick, meaning the Bears may be forced to cut ties with Michael Ford. Ford has shown promise as special teams player, but, it seems unlikely that the team would carry four running backs into the season.
  2. soulman

Ratings:
    +1,914 / 7 / -3
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,761ß
    Draughn has clearly been the best RB so far in the preseason games and the signing of KR/PR Darius Reynaud (also a RB) doesn't bode well for Michael Ford either. For the next two games I expect Ford and Reynaud to get some shots at KR while CWill and Reynaud will do PR. The best two out of three or even one out of three makes the team.

He's right about Carey. His opportunities so far have come behind a 3rd string line so a comparison between him and Draughn isn't a completely fair one but just eyeballing them tells you they're two very different backs. So far I think Carey is doing exactly what's been expected. With a little better blocking some of those short runs will turn into longer ones and around the goaline he should also be valuable.

Draughn is more a smaller version of Matt Forte.
  3. 4dabers

4dabers Veteran DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +765 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    98ß
    This WOULD be a surprise as I really thought this signing was as camp fodder. However, let the best man win; if the guy earns it then he earns it and that's the way it HAS to be if you're going to have a winning team. Part of the problem in our past has been coaches overlooking production for reputation. I see much less of that these days.
    • Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 1
  4. Xa0sG0rilla

Xa0sG0rilla Veteran

Ratings:
    +70 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    27ß
    One thing that i will say in favor of Carey. He did manage to get a short yardage TD in the previous preseason game. On that play, he was able to get low and use that leverage and strength to "push" his way in. It was nice to see, even if it was just preseason.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. riczaj01

riczaj01 DaBears Ditka DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +3,855 / 10 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    2,066ß
    Good for Draughn. He looked amazing on Thurs.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. soulman

Ratings:
    +1,914 / 7 / -3
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,761ß
    One thing about these guys who've bounced around a bit is that they either "get it" and land in the right situation or never do and only hang on as deep backups because of their size or some other gift.

Draughn has been around some so he knows what a team needs from a #2 RB and he brings that to the table. If Forte should get injured (knock on wood) then Draughn is the best guy we have to replace his overall skills as a runner, receiver and blocker.

The won't cut Carey. Actually the fact that he's even averaging almost 3 ypc with nowhere to run isn't all that bad an I can't but thinking that on film the coaches will see that he's always moving forward and just one block away from springing a big run.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. DaTreeBears

DaTreeBears Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +719 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    442ß
    If you watched the Browns Monday night this came to the forefront with Johnny over rated. Shaw the 3rd string guy out played both QBs. But since he's a nobody compared to the other 2 will the team see what just happened and take honest hard look I know other teams will. Shaw's accuracy was way better along with his instincts looked much better than either of the 1st 2 qbs for the Brownies.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  8. riczaj01

Ratings:
    +3,855 / 10 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    2,066ß
    ESPN had an article saying that this qb competition is putting to much weight on Hoyer, and is not helping Johnny b/c he's just not ready to play.
  9. shark86x

shark86x Pro-Bowler SuperFan

Ratings:
    +895 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    600ß
    But the run blocking of our third string isn't really all that much worse than our first string's? Forte hasn't been getting any big holes to run through either. You're right, a comparison isn't fair, but it may not be too far off. I likje how Carey runs and think he just needs some work and some time to develop. But the run blocking HAS to get better, first string through the backups.
  10. riczaj01

Ratings:
    +3,855 / 10 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    2,066ß
    You have to remember the level of competition facing the 1st and 3rd string also; and the first string is missing the starting and backup RT
  11. shark86x

shark86x Pro-Bowler SuperFan

Ratings:
    +895 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    600ß
    Yeah, I forgot those guys were out. Sorry, but my old brain can only remember so much, and I killed off way too many cells in my younger days ;-)
    • Like Like x 2
  12. soulman

Ratings:
    +1,914 / 7 / -3
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,761ß

Trestman has commented on it and I've seen it too. Some plays we're one block away from springing a nice run. I'm not an OL coach and I really don't have a way to review those plays from different angles so I don't know if it's the scheme or the execution or even a bad call against an 8 man front. I just know Carey looks to find daylight so he's always moving ahead not laterally the way Forte will do at times.

I've read some stuff from guys who think he'll never make it as a pro because of his lack of speed but apparently they haven't watched him run on a football field with a ball in his hands. He may not have long speed but he's as quick for 10-20 yards as anyone out there. I'd say he's actually quicker getting the hand off and getting to the hole than Forte. Many time Forte is reading the blocks looking for his lane whereas Carey can head straight for the line and shift laterally very quickly to hit a small seam.

That's what he did on that TD. He cut slightly to his left off the backside of the guards block and then got under the LBs and Safeties who came up to cover that gap. It was a smart run. You give him that ball when you need a yard or two and if we can get any push at all between the tackles nine out of ten times he'll find a seam he can get some yardage through. We do need far better run blocking than were getting but out of the top three I think Carey is the only one who can make something out of nothing. If you can give him any kind of crease at all he'll find it and at least get through the first level.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  13. BSBEARS

BSBEARS Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +999 / 4 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,279ß
    I have stated a few times I am not sure we will not have 2 guys filling out the #2 role. Carey is more of a power back and will potentially get the goal line stuff and appears Draughn is more of a change of pace back typically used in 3rd down situations. I still believe the situation will probably dictate who gets the call between these 2.

Draughn has been a pleasant surprise.
    • Agree Agree x 2
  14. tbear1

tbear1 Veteran

Ratings:
    +298 / 1 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    302ß
    Intresting competition, let the best player win. I actually like Perry over Cary, but i find it hard to believe he makes it to the PS.
  15. DaTreeBears

DaTreeBears Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +719 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    442ß
    In these new power pass offenses traditional running backs are really becoming a dime a dozen. It's finding the all around back that are hard to find run, block and exceptional hands like Forte are the ones separating themselves. That's why Carey looked so intriguing but can he block and his hands so far need work. Draughn can catch a ball and looks more like Forte when he runs than anyone that has been the 2nd back with Forte to this point in his career. What a novel idea instead of finding a different style runner as Forte find one that plays just like him.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  16. B-ell-y-iot

B-ell-y-iot Veteran SuperFan DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +512 / 2 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    474ß
    There's no doubt in my mind that the kid can block. Check out his hit list from the last two games. Not only is he taking down DEs and LBs in pass protect, he's blocking like a stud on the return team too.

I'm also not at all concerned with Carey's running game. He's a competitive running back and does not want to go down. He could be used as a goal line back as BS Bears stated:
    Even though his productivity in the last two games hasn't been high, he hasn't been stopped at the initial point of contact and it takes multiple tacklers to bring him down. He is VERY decisive as a running back, gets to his spot and runs his ass downhill falling forward through tackles to get the most out of each carry. He has some shiftiness but not incredibly so. Like soulman described so well
    I think Kromer was articulate in his press conference today (8/19/2014) when he was talking about the running game being something that develops throughout a game. The run game gets set up and is a product of changes in scheme and weariness on the part of the defense. I see Carey as a guy that can keep the Bears fresh and offer a compliment to our run game. Kromer also alluded to what soulman described earlier in this thread:
    Out of the three role he's playing on offense, his biggest weakness so far has been catching the ball. He has butter hands. This might be a product of him being a rookie and thinking too much. This is something that the coaching staff is certainly attentive to. He needs to improve in this area to make him a solid option at RB as we need someone who is a dynamic weapon on the field.
    The last thing I'd say about Carey, at this stage in the game is that he's doing a damn fine job in kick returns / blocking. He's penalty free and has gotten good position and push on gunners. I was really impressed by this. Again, his most surprising trait might be the very thing that people questioned about him:
    Can he block? Hell yes.
    • Bear Down! Bear Down! x 2
  17. soulman

Ratings:
    +1,914 / 7 / -3
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,761ß

And yet I see nothing special in Perry at all tbear. He's fast in a straight line but he has no elusiveness to him at all and he doesn't run between the tackles like Carey does. If had anything to show for all that 4.3 speed why aren't they trying him as a KOR? I would keep Lynch before I'd keep Perry.
  18. jbunch14

jbunch14 Veteran

Ratings:
    +179 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    101ß
    I think this is the deepest RB group I have ever seen in a camp. It speaks volumes that we could be cutting guys who could be #2s on a lot of other squads.