DT OR DE

Discussion in 'Chicago Bears' started by BSBEARS, Mar 1, 2014.

?

DT or DE in RD 1

1. Ealy

46.2%
  2. Donald

53.8%
  1. MPbears68

MPbears68
    Expand Collapse
    Hall of Famer

Please Register or Log in to Remove this Advertisement!
    The team is on record saying they will be a base 4-3, 1-gap defense. Donald looks like the prototypical 4-3, 1-gap type of DT playing 3tech. So he should be a great fit for us. Be very different if we switched to a base 2-gap, 3-4 front for example.

We will have to see but I assume "Tucker's 4-3 defense" will differ from Lovie's by utilizing more blitzes, fewer straight cover-2 assignments, and have a few hybrid 3-4 looks thrown in there too.

• Like Like x 1
  2. riczaj01

riczaj01
    Expand Collapse
    DaBears Ditka
    SuperFan DBS Writer

Who says we grab either if Dix is available? Reality is the team, as of right now needs a starting DE, DT, FS, and CB, in the first round, you have to draft the highest rated of those positions that also has the least depth going later into the draft. If DE and FS are the thinnest positions going into the 2 and later rounds how you do pass on Ealy or Dix for Donald, when there is better depth at DT?

3. MPbears68

MPbears68
    Expand Collapse
    Hall of Famer

I don't see much of this "depth" at DT you're talking about.
    Ratliff is a stopgap rotational guy at his age (and he's still unsigned).
    Collins is a backup and coming off and an ACL (also unsigned). Both can rotate at NT too.
    Melton is coming off an ACL and is 50/50 to return depending on $.
    The others we had at the position last year are trash.
    So, if Melton flies the coop for bigger bucks, we are without a solid starter in the fold going forward. I'd take Donald at 14 in a heartbeat in that scenario. The 3-tech position is the lynchpin here and that isn't purely a "Lovie only" phenomenon.

As far as S goes, we have nothing right now at SS. Wright is a goner and shouldn't be offered a penny. Steltz is a backup quality guy only and he's a FA as well. We need a starting SS more than a FS right now. I know everyone loves to hate on Conte at this point (and he did regress badly last year) but he's still under contract one more season with something to prove. And he played pretty decently in '12. I'd look to sign a vet SS to start and draft a mid-round FS to groom/compete.

4. BSBEARS

BSBEARS
    Expand Collapse
    Pro-Bowler

Exciting and scary at the same time. No starting DE' and no starting DT's. We have a "PP" line (LOL) "P"eppers and "P"eae. Lookingn forward to seeing what the Dline looks like. Not starting the Peppers debate again so will be interesting to watch.

• Like Like x 1
  5. MPbears68

MPbears68
    Expand Collapse
    Hall of Famer

Lol, yeah the DL as a whole is a total dumpster fire. I'm not ignoring other positions but saying the best bang for the buck so to speak would be to invest heavily there in FA/draft. A much improved front 4 rotation will help our LBs and DBs a lot. Our pass rush sucked last year and every Joe Blow running back was through to the 2nd level in the blink of an eye.

Btw, just read that Buffalo isn't tagging Byrd and can't come to terms with him. He's hitting FA which deepens the available talent pool at S considerably. If Emery could snag a SS like Whitner or Ward and a DL next week, we'd be looking a lot less desperate going into the draft.

http://www.rotoworld.com/player/nfl/5307/jairus-byrd

6. BSBEARS

BSBEARS
    Expand Collapse
    Pro-Bowler

Additionally I read Cleveland is ready to break the bank to get him and they have tons of money. Might allow us to sneak in and pick up TJ Ward.:36_1_55[1]:

7. riczaj01

riczaj01
    Expand Collapse
    DaBears Ditka
    SuperFan DBS Writer

i'm talking about depth in the draft, not on the team.

8. MPbears68

MPbears68
    Expand Collapse
    Hall of Famer

Got ya. But if Melton bolts we need a day 1 starter at 3T not a depth guy.

9. riczaj01

riczaj01
    Expand Collapse
    DaBears Ditka
    SuperFan DBS Writer

True, but a day 1 starter at DT can be had in the 2nd. And the team regardless needs a day 1 starter at DE also; all I'm saying is I think that the chances of getting 2 day 1 starters is by going DE/FS 1st round and DT 2nd b/c I'm not sure there is a day 1 starter at DE/FS in the 2nd-3rd rounds and there the possiblity is there imo for DT in the 2nd.

10. soulman

soulman
    Expand Collapse
    Coordinator
    SuperFan DBS Writer

Donald is that guy and since the Bears (and most other 4-3 teams for that matter) rotate their DTs and DEs you're not talking about the kid playing 80% plus of the snaps. We don't know about Collins recovery and he's never mentioned so we have no idea what the plans are for him but if he's healthy I'd bring him back in a heartbeat. He's a good DT who at times has looked just as good to me as Melton has. They've been saying they want Ratliff back as well and I could live with those two along with Paea and Donald of they draft the kid.

Ratliff is a 4 time Pro Bowler who hasn't played much these past two years so I believe he still has at least one good year or maybe even two in him as a rotational DT at both NT and 3 tech. Collins and Melton are wild cards right now and so is the possibility that Emery will pursue a guy like Bennett. But if they had Paea, Ratliff, Melton or Collins and Donald I could get excited about that DT rotation. Or if they sign Bennett then they have that guy who can play both LDE and DT and that works too.

No one can seriously believe that Emery is gonna go very long with just Pep and Paea as the only two experienced DLinemen under contract. The 8th is next Saturday and that's the day players agents can officially begin to market their FAs to other teams so either Emery settles some of these deals this week or he's letting the market set the value for his DLine free agents first and then he'll take it from there. As much as I dislike some of his moves Emery always has a plan but he's also very good at not showing his hand until he has to.

Tucker may like bigger linemen but the biggest problem I see with most of them is that they don't fit (like Nix) or they aren't worth the #14 pick. In fact a couple of them shouldn't even be 1st round picks. They're high risk guys who may never be anything more than mediocre pros. I'd love to be able to say that I trust Emery to do the right things but so far his track record with restocking that defense as been dismal at best and now they don't seem to be certain exactly what they plan to do defensively.

Yeah they say they plan to stick with a 4-3 base but they also say they'll play to the strengths of the guys they sign and they just hired two coaches with recent backgrounds in 3-4 defenses so how in the hell would anyone know what their plan is? If they're smart and Tucker can actually coach it I believe they'd be best served by sticking close to what they've been doing and simply tweak it. Run more varied defensive fronts, blitz more often and less predictably, and play more man coverage with a single deep Safety. They need to play a pressure defense more like Buddy Ryan ran and less of the Cover 2 bend but don't break style of the Lovie era. JMHO