DT OR DE

Discussion in 'Chicago Bears' started by BSBEARS, Mar 1, 2014.

?

DT or DE in RD 1

1. jackiejokeman

jackiejokeman Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +158 / 1 / -1
    ßearz ßuckz:
    72ß
    We ... that is to say WE ...CHICAGO BEARS ... have the 31st Ranked DEFENSE in the NFL ...

so ... and let me clarify this ... ANYBODY is an improvement !
  2. BSBEARS

BSBEARS Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +437 / 3 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    203ß
    Donald worries me, his speed will be neutralized in the NFL. I see he put on weight before the combine and will have to see how it effects his field play. He did well at the combine but... In the end this has helped me as well. I smell bust all over Donald as well, Do not buy his speed will translate to NFL. He will be manhandled by heavier and stronger O-line. BUST maybe is a bad choice of words as he will have his moments but I do not see a perennial All PRO. Not even sure I see Impact player. Draftcountdown does not appear to have updated there rankings since the combine but give me a break. You play all year hit the combine and come out on top. Not in my world. Hageman is starting to scare me as well, DE or FS may be starting to look better at 14.

Seems like a lot of risk at DT and there are 8 of them to be had later.

upload_2014-3-2_18-44-16.png http://www.draftcountdown.com/Rankings/DT.php

Draft countdown is ussually a pretty good source over time
    upload_2014-3-2_18-51-43.png
    • Like Like x 1
  3. soulman

soulman Pro-Bowler SuperFan DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +1,372 / 0 / -2
    ßearz ßuckz:
    475ß
    :rofl2:
    And that's the issue with huge signing bonuses where the cap accounting is deferred. The Bears dislike doing it because it can put you in cap hell if that player/car breaks down or stops running before you're done paying for it. The cash has already been spent but as far as the cap goes it's not all been accounted for on paper. Some teams who handed out those big dollar deals with big signing bonuses to older vets have really got their proverbial tits in a ringer cap wise. Oakland is one that comes to mind immediately.

Cutler's deal has no signing bonus at the moment so after his three years of guarantees are up the can replace him without any dead cap space. Jennings and Slauson's deal are similar but all could be restructured if needed. That's a smart way to approach it. That's like having a HELOC (home equity line of credit) but only drawing on it if you need it.

Now has far as those nickels and manhole covers go 99 I hear both are lighter today than they were in the '60s. :rofl2:
  4. soulman

soulman Pro-Bowler SuperFan DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +1,372 / 0 / -2
    ßearz ßuckz:
    475ß
    It's not just Donald's speed BSB, which at 4.68 in the 40 at 288 lbs ain't too shabby. It's his quickness and burst off the line combined with a very low center of gravity and very good strength despite his short arms. Blocking is all about leverage, you know that, and it's hard to get leverage on a guy whose just 6'1" if he plays low and can move like Donald can. He's roughly the same size as John Randle was when he played for the Vikings and that cat has as many sacks as Richard Dent and he was a perennial All Pro and a HOF DT.

Do you remember that play Paea made against Minny in 2012 when he shot in and nearly sacked the QB for a safety? Urlacher came in and cleaned up but Paea was through that gap before the OC and OG could even get out of their stances! Paea is 6'1" and was playing NT at about 292lbs then and although the list him at 300lbs he's had a tough time keeping that much weight on. He's still developing and he played hurt last year but he's not a bad NT for his size and he doesn't get manhandled. Playing NT Paea doesn't get many chances to make that kind of play but he's very quick for a guy his size.

Melton was playing DT his first year at 265lbs and then gained 30lbs before the 2012 season. Wootton played 3 tech last year at 6'6" and 270lbs and for a DE he played fairly well. Izzy was 6'6" and 275lbs and even Pep only goes 285-290lbs and both those guys have moved to DT at times. Tommie Harris was 6'3" and 295lbs the same as Melton and was almost unstoppable until he got hurt. Collins is 6'2" and 296lbs and even Ratliff only goes about 300lbs at 6'4". Warren Sapp was 6'2" on his tip toes and played around 295lbs.

I'm not claiming Donald can walk in a be an immediate 3 down player but in that rotation he can sure as hell pass rush and penetrate against the run. And Donald didn't just hit the top at the Combine. Look at his college production vs any other DT in the draft. It's miles better. Part of the problem pre-Combine is that some sources had him listed at 275lbs and only 6'. He weighed in at 288lbs and 6' 7/8" and that coupled with his 4.68 40 and 35 reps on the bench shot him past the rest including Jernigan whose more of a smaller NT like Paea. In the right defense and in a DT rotation I think the kid will be an impact player like some I listed.

All that aside if it's a DE we need worse than a DT then they'll probably take Ealy if he's on the board. After Clowney he's the next best DE and he and Donald rank about the same as far as their potential as pros. I'd rather we drafted Donald because I believe he can be a "special" player but if it's Ealy I can live with that too.
    • Like Like x 1