Durkin: Best Odds to Find an All-Pro @ 14 is @ Safety

Discussion in 'Chicago Bears' started by BelieveInMonsters, Apr 24, 2014.

1. BelieveInMonsters

BelieveInMonsters Veteran

Ratings:
    +198 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    • Like Like x 2
  2. JustAnotherBearsFan99

JustAnotherBearsFan99 Coordinator SuperFan DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +2,382 / 3 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    796ß
    I hadn't thought of it this way. This draft will be Emery's opportunity to showcase what he can do drafting defensive players who can make a difference.
    • Like Like x 3
  3. BelieveInMonsters

Ratings:
    +198 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    Yeah. I'm surprised that more Bears fans (myself included) haven't thought of this yet.

This is a "show me" draft where Emery really needs to prove himself on the defensive side of the football.

This could mean that he may not go for the riskier pick at a position where it is much more difficult to strike gold.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. lklrlolnlilklsox

lklrlolnlilklsox Position Coach

Ratings:
    +306 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    58ß
    It's a double-edged sword. I really, really, really want an impact S. However, I just don't really care for the impact at DT outside of the first. Do you straight up go for biggest impact player or pick to balance and play to strengths of the class (DB)? I always go for impact over balance, but being a team that views itself as "close" they might go for the balance play that brings immediate contribution at multiple spots...
    • Like Like x 1
  5. BSBEARS

BSBEARS Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +747 / 4 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    735ß
    I think you hit it on the head. It will be interesting to see what Emerys approach is, especially since there is no guarantee the so called impact player will not be a bust. Do you spread the risk or go for it.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. Grizzblue

Grizzblue Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +450 / 1 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    59ß
    Right now BSB, I say if I'm Emery I'm going for it. None of of our scouts but you can slate your most likely to be impact player here _____, and take that guy. The guy you think will have the biggest impact from day one. Maybe in Emery's eyes its Donald. Maybe its Pryor. Maybe it's Hageman. Maybe its someone we don't think about right now. Either way, if we are in a win now you swing for the fences and look for the knockout IMO.
    • Like Like x 1
  7. mdbearz

mdbearz Veteran

Ratings:
    +283 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    24ß
    Emery is not as good at defense, from what we have seen thus far. But I also think he is smart enough to know what his weakness is.

I tend to think he will not take as many risks this year and go for the guy that will make an impact on the defense. I think he will listen to his coordinators and his scouts.
  8. Bearsinhouston

Bearsinhouston Position Coach

Ratings:
    +1,567 / 5 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    781ß
    I have never been involved in the inner workings of an NFL team, nor have I had the opportunity to discuss the workings with anyone who had the opportunity to work in the front office of an NFL team. I am sure that different teams probably have different ways that they conduct business, but just based on what I see with the Bears, I wonder if the GM is not just a conduit for what the HC is telling him are the positions of need. In other words, I'm not sure it is Emery (offense) and JA (defense). Lovie was a defensive coach and might have been feeding JA what he wanted. Trestman really knows what he is doing offensively and knows what will work. Now the offensive picks have been better.

I am sure it is much more complex than that, With their respective expertises, the two coaches were able to get a player on their respective side of the ball to develop faster. But just wondering out loud if the change in player aquisition might not be due to the HCs more than we thought.
  9. MPbears68

MPbears68 Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +1,220 / 2 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    258ß
  10. Bearsinhouston

Ratings:
    +1,567 / 5 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    781ß
    MP - thanks for the post. I love how the guy disengages and is able to tackle his target. He really does has good technique. Playing devils advocate here, most guys coming into the pros have quite a bit to improve on their technique so their ceiling has room to grow. I wonder how close to his ceiling Donald is already. I really like the guy. what is it like 10 or 11 sacks from an interior lineman? That's crazy. The guy always seems to be in the backfield and in college anyway he seems to draw a double quite often. With Houston and Allen playing end, if he is drawing a double (they may have to double Allen also), it's going to take more assets than they want to be able to protect their QB. Just the kind of thing Trestman loves to do to an offense - take them out of their comfort zone.
  11. BelieveInMonsters

Ratings:
    +198 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    Drafting a player is all about the entire body of work throughout his college career and NOT about creating hype and wowing coaches, scouts, and the media from January until April or May when the draft starts.

That is precisely what Donald has done. He wasn't even considered the best DT in the draft until he started putting up numbers at the Senior Bowl and the Combine.

There's a name for players that cause last minute hype and hysteria like that and its "Coach Killer". These types of players get coaches and front offices fired.

Again, Before the (false IMO) hype that started in January, Donald wasn't even considered the best player available at his position. He was an extremely undersized DT who was all pass-rush and very mediocre vs the run (which just so happens to be the Bears biggest problem on defense) College offensive linemen have been able to stand Donald straight up vs the run. What do you think NFL offensive linemen will do to him?

If the Bears draft Donald, he will become part of the family. I will absolutely root for him and I hope to eat crow about his abilities if he dons a Bears uniform. But, as of right now I hope Emery and Trestman don't believe the hype that has been generated of late concerning Donald's abilities.
    Last edited: Apr 28, 2014
    • Informative Informative x 1
  12. Bearsinhouston

Ratings:
    +1,567 / 5 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    781ß
    Whatever they decide -- I do believe that Emery has the abilty to keep his eye on the ball and sift through all of the noise.
    • Like Like x 1
  13. Grizzblue

Grizzblue Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +450 / 1 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    59ß
    Honestly that video of him vs FSU confirms what we all have kinda thought. Good player, not a can't miss and very well may struggle against the run game. FSU's OC and OGs (both left and right) executed a few combo blocks from Donald to the backer where Donald was blown 4-5 yards off the ball making the transition to level two very easy for the OL. He must get better at that in the pros because Stork is a 4th-6th round prospect and the two guards are underclassmen. He does have great tech in hand fighting and shedding blocks and looks fluid while moving from one move to the next.
    • Like Like x 1
  14. BelieveInMonsters

Ratings:
    +198 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    More proof of how important the Safety position has become?

Look at the 4-year 40 million dollar deal the Seahawks just gave Earl Thomas.

This was in addition to the huge deal Byrd (6-year 54 million) got with New Orleans and the big deal Mitchell (5-year 25 million) got with Pittsburgh.
  15. butkus3595

butkus3595 Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +578 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    284ß
    If you're asking Donald to two gap you're going to end up disappointed. If you're asking him to shoot a gap and get penetration you'll be happy.
    • Like Like x 1
  16. Grizzblue

Grizzblue Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +450 / 1 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    59ß
    Yep, that's what it boils down to for him IMO. He has no use in any 2 gap system. A one gap system is he a good schematic fit but only time will tell how he pans out.
  17. BelieveInMonsters

Ratings:
    +198 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    This means that Donald is a bad fit.

We know that the Bears will be seriously looking at a rotating defensive front in 2014. This means we dont clearly know how much 3-tech they're actually going to be using.

This is probably why Emery wants to look at more versatile players that can move around and not get stuck in one position like Donald would.
  18. Grizzblue

Grizzblue Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +450 / 1 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    59ß
    That could be the case. I have serious doubts we will use much if any 3-4 looks and its possible to run a 3 man front but keep the one gap system. I just seriously doubt that we will bounce between 1 and 2 gap schemes.