Earl Bennett getting released

Discussion in 'Chicago Bears' started by Marshall#15, Mar 18, 2014.

1. TarheelBear

TarheelBear Rookie

Ratings:
    +24 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    18ß
    :4_17_11[1]: thank you for that chart BSBears so neat and simple
  2. 4dabers

4dabers Veteran DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +747 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    90ß

Veeeeeedddddyyyy interesting.
  3. JustAnotherBearsFan99

JustAnotherBearsFan99 Coordinator SuperFan DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +3,031 / 4 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,730ß
    We have gotten so much better at WR. Better than Bennett, even though Earl is a decent WR by Bears standards of the past. But this is a good thing. We have some fantastic young talent, and you can only keep so many on the roster.
    • Like Like x 1
  4. riczaj01

riczaj01 DaBears Ditka DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +3,586 / 10 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,783ß
    I'm going to guess that if Earl had taken the pay cut Weems would have been released, a much more preferable option. But I think most saw this coming since the season ended.
  5. JustAnotherBearsFan99

Ratings:
    +3,031 / 4 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,730ß
    I don't expect Weems to be here long either. I understand Weems is a big contributor on special teams, but the young guys Emery is bringing in, seem to be the next generation that are better players at WR, and Weems special teams talent isn't going to be considered as "special" as in the past. It seems exciting to watch an area of weakness in past years, now becoming a wealth of talent - young, big, fast WR talent. It's becoming an area of strength. If Emery can build up the defense now, I think we have the potential to see a lot of success. Sustainable success.
  6. soulman

soulman Pro-Bowler SuperFan DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +1,914 / 7 / -3
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,761ß
    He won't. I'm sure he's happy for both of them. McCown is getting more money this year than he could have ever dreamed of when he was coaching a HS team in NC and his relationship with Jay and with the Bears made that possible. When he and Palmer were both on the bubble last August it was Jay who voted for keeping McCown. I'm sure he'd have liked having him around but he didn't step up and volunteer $5 mil of his $22 mil for this year to go to McCown did he?

Earl Bennett missed a lot of games over the years and as consistent and dependable as he was Jay prefers the taller guys and he has them. I think Hixon is now the shortest guy with NFL experience and he's 6'2". The rest are all 6'3" or taller. Earl wasn't playing much and he already took one pay cut so he's better off going somewhere he can play more and earn his paycheck. He simply wasn't gonna be productive enough here to do that.
  7. soulman

Ratings:
    +1,914 / 7 / -3
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,761ß

Yep, the shake out continues and he can still revise those deal with Cutler, Jennings, Slauson and Gould he wrapped up before so there's still plenty of room to maneuver if he wants. This is a good graphic to show because not everyone realizes that only the top 51 contracts count against the cap. Most of these deal for league minimum for rookies and second year guys are below that as are the guy on the PS.

In addition the draftees only count the rookie minimum of $420k until they're actually signed to their longer term deals so all we need is about $3 mil of cap space allotted to that on draft day. Then they can make other moves to create more cap space if needed before they sign them. There's plenty of cap space if it's needed.
  8. soulman

Ratings:
    +1,914 / 7 / -3
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,761ß
    Absolutely and that's what makes Bennett expendable. It's not about his lack of performance it's just that we have equal or better WRs for lower cost. I think Wilson is another kid who could break out this year similar to the way Jeffery has. Hopefully he can add a little lead in his britches and play around 200lbs or a bit more. That kid and Jeffery could be the deep threats on some plays especially the way Jeffery can catch. If Bennett had great hands then Jeffery is the new Mr. Ridiculous with some of those grabs he made last year.

Hixon is a taller faster slot guy, they have that mini me Chris Williams out of Canada whose also a WR, and Marshall slides into the slot at times as well. Cutler likes taller WRs who can go up and get it and who can execute back shoulder catches so Emery got him a slew of that type. I hate to see a guy like Earl Bennett go but you can't pay the guy $2.5 mil a year for the 20 or 30 catches he might have over the course of the season. At least in his case they offered him an option to stay on for less money. That's more respect than Hester got.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  9. JustAnotherBearsFan99

Ratings:
    +3,031 / 4 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,730ß
    That's how I see it too, Soul. We're just getting better and better talent-wise at the WR position. I think we fans have gone through so many years of 2nd tier WR's that we can't fully grasp that we now have an over abundance of talent there. We're loaded to the point we won't be able to keep all of them, even if we had the money. One kid I'm watching and VERY excited about is the 6'5" Terrence Tolliver. He is as fast as B.Marsh, runs good routes & could be yet another stud WR for us. I mean, how do you keep a Bennett and let guys like this walk? You don't. You do what the Bears did. Go with the young guns who will be the foundation and future of our team at WR. Bennett wasn't a bad player at all. But we have better (and cheaper) talent now and can move on and not pay his salary.
    • Like Like x 1
  10. VJ18

VJ18 Veteran

Ratings:
    +83 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    28ß
    On my way into work I was listening to Brad Biggs and Mully talking about grabbing a WR in the mid rounds... seriously how many talented WR's do we need hahaha?
    • Like Like x 1
  11. butkus3595

butkus3595 Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +916 / 1 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    766ß
    As many as you can get! It's all about putting defenses in uncomfortable positions and creating mismatches wherever you can. Thats why even though we need certain things on defense, of a guy like Sammy Watkins were to miraculously fall to 14 I'd take him in a heartbeat.
  12. riczaj01

Ratings:
    +3,586 / 10 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,783ß
    Like the backseat of a Volkswagon?
  13. butkus3595

butkus3595 Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +916 / 1 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    766ß
    LOL...yeah...or if you're like me...generally the back seat of anything thats not a full size SUV. lol
  14. VJ18

VJ18 Veteran

Ratings:
    +83 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    28ß
    If Sammy Watkins fell and i mean IF he did (one could dream) but the following year do you sign Marshall or what?
  15. butkus3595

butkus3595 Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +916 / 1 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    766ß
    Great question...I guess that would depend on how he did as a rookie. I probably would sign Marshall to a 3 year deal. He'll be 31 at the beginning of that season, so the deal would have to make sense. We'd have about 14 million in cap room if everything were to stay the same(which it won't). It's a real scary offense. And a total pipe dream...but fun to imagine.
  16. BelieveInMonsters

BelieveInMonsters Veteran

Ratings:
    +271 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    96ß
    With the loss of James Jones to the Raiders you have to think that Green Bay is quite possibly in the mix for Earl Bennett's services.
  17. riczaj01

Ratings:
    +3,586 / 10 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,783ß
    Depending on how Watkins looked I'd probably let Marshal walk, Jeffery, Watkins, Wilson would be a hell of a nasty young core to build around.

But like you said, total pipe dream.
  18. BearJim

BearJim Veteran SuperFan DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +167 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    66ß
    It wouldn't surprise me but it might make me puke.

:sick:
  19. The Benjamin

The Benjamin George Halas Staff Member

Ratings:
    +2,151 / 7 / -9
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,560ß
    You let Marshall walk,you risk having a ticked off Cutler
  20. BelieveInMonsters

BelieveInMonsters Veteran

Ratings:
    +271 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    96ß
    I don't think Marshall is going anywhere. Not with his still high level of play, his man-love with this offense and Jay Cutler in particular, and his recent comments demanding that he'll stay and it won't take top money.