Edit: Bears place Zach Miller on IR

Discussion in 'Chicago Bears' started by Jimmors, Aug 15, 2014.

1. soulman

soulman Pro-Bowler SuperFan DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +1,844 / 6 / -3
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,537ß
  2. little bear

little bear Assistant Head Coach

Ratings:
    +822 / 1 / -2
    ßearz ßuckz:
    724ß
    What do you think how long it's gonna take to heal?
  3. soulman

Ratings:
    +1,844 / 6 / -3
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,537ß

Based on what I know he's probably done for this year. I believe that's the same injury Mike Brown had in 2006. Here they're saying minimum 6 weeks in a cast if it's non-surgical (and I think this is) and 12 weeks or more if it is. Chances are it would be around the first of November before he'd even be able to start conditioning again at the earliest.

Treatment[edit]

Options include operative or non-operative treatment. If the dislocation is less than 2 mm, the fracture can be managed with casting for six weeks.[12] The patient's injured limb cannot bear weight during this period. For severe Lisfranc injuries, open reduction with internal fixation (ORIF) and temporary screw or Kirschner wire (K-wire) fixation is the treatment of choice.[13] The foot cannot be allowed to bear weight for a minimum of six weeks. Partial weight-bearing may then begin, with full weight bearing after an additional several weeks, depending on the specific injury. K-wires are typically removed after six weeks, before weight bearing, while screws are often removed after 12 weeks.[13]

When a Lisfranc injury is characterized by significant displacement of the tarsometatarsal joint(s), nonoperative treatment often leads to severe loss of function and long-term disability secondary to chronic pain and sometimes to a planovalgus deformity. In cases with severe pain, loss of function, or progressive deformity that has failed to respond to nonoperative treatment, mid-tarsal and tarsometatarsal arthrodesis (operative fusion of the bones) may be indicated.[14]
  4. JustAnotherBearsFan99

JustAnotherBearsFan99 Coordinator SuperFan DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +2,368 / 3 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    768ß
    I agree with you. And life will go on. No need for me to whine about losing Miller. But as I watched Mulligan last game it made me really sick. The guy moved about as gracefully as a Frankenstein monster (or Herman Munster for you old guys who remember that old show). He's like the TE's we had before Marty Bennett was signed. Very mediocre guys. Man, when I watched Miller before his injury, HE looked like a stud TE. He was something special out there (like Bennett).

Each time we lose a high-quality player it diminishes our team by a bit. The world won't end because our #2 TE is gone. But it incrementally diminishes our team. Depending upon how many increments we decrease in talent - THIS - is what ultimately determines Chicago Bears seasons. I've watched this happen for countless seasons over the years. We'll have a pretty powerful team in August and early September that clearly looks like a team that can win the Division, and make a decent playoff run. But as the injuries take their toll over the weeks, we fall to being a mediocre team, and sometimes to being a downright bad team. We hobble to the end of the season - and fail to even make the playoffs. I'm not saying this will happen this year. But I'm watching these injuries and wondering how many more will hit us this year. Because ultimately THIS determines our season.
  5. JustAnotherBearsFan99

JustAnotherBearsFan99 Coordinator SuperFan DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +2,368 / 3 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    768ß
    Webb never looked anything more than crap to me. Shea isn't looking so good either. This Wilson kid looked amazing to me - a guy who was beautiful to watch play because he is a special talent. He looks like he is similar to Alshon Jeffery in many ways. Morgan? He'll be okay. Just another mediocre talent. I've seen a ton of those type WR's on the Bears over the past 20 years. He's no Wilson though. Just a stop-gap guy who can be pressed into service due to the injury to Wilson. Yeah, it's not the end of the world. But I'm pretty sad about losing Wilson - and Miller. Let's hope the injuries are not too bad moving forward. We'll have them, but hopefully not too devastating.
    • Like Like x 2
  6. BSBEARS

BSBEARS Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +738 / 4 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    705ß
    Supposedly on IR and not cut from the team, Maybe he can make it back for the playoffs.
  7. soulman

Ratings:
    +1,844 / 6 / -3
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,537ß
    Interestingly enough though Mulligan did get open for a nice catch to set up a TD and the coaches say he actually moves pretty well. I didn't see that but then I haven't been able to see all that much of him compared to what they have.

Miller's in all likelihood gone for this year anyway. The king is dead, long live the king and the new kings are Rosario (whose not a bad pass catcher) and Mulligan (whose more of a blocker but can still catch a football). We'll live for now.

Adding Holmes as a WR could help some.
  8. DaTreeBears

DaTreeBears Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +652 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    337ß
    The 2 TE set went out the door with this injury. However, Holmes defiantly buys the Bears time with Wilson out and helps ST. Smart move all the way around.
    • Like Like x 1
  9. Bearsinhouston

Bearsinhouston Position Coach

Ratings:
    +1,547 / 5 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    743ß
    I LOVED having Miller playing the way he was playing. It was a shock to me his being let go. I thought he was only going to be out for a short while. Apparently, he needs to come with a warning sticker that says "fragile"
  10. Akuma2000

Akuma2000 Veteran SuperFan

Ratings:
    +165 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    42ß
    I think the Bears will keep him and bring him in on certain plays for extra pass protection for Cutty.
  11. weneedmorelinemen

weneedmorelinemen Veteran

Ratings:
    +376 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    91ß