Emery, Bears close to pulling off rare three-part strategy

Discussion in 'Chicago Bears' started by Akuma2000, Apr 1, 2014.

1. butka

butka Veteran

Ratings:
    +133 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    16ß
    To me, the biggest test for GMs arrives once the roster is overhauled to their vision. Once they have "their" guys in place, are they able to properly self evaluate, or will they view their guys with rose-colored glasses. I think Jerry Angelo did a good job with reshaping the Bears when he first arrived. We were a much better squad than the what was here in previous years. The problem is that the front office under Jerry did a horrible job in identifying when it was time to move on from a guy they brought in. I really think Lovie played a big role in this, as he had repeatedly stuck with his guys, whether it be assistant coaches, or whether it be with players. And Lovie is looking like he's staying in his comfort zone in Tampa as well.

From what I've seen to this point, Emery is a more nimble GM than Jerry. I think this coaching staff, which most likely has a solid input into the roster, will do a better job of self evaluating and will know when to make a change or cut the cord. I guess we'll find out in time, but from what I've seen so far, I think they'll be able to identify their own weaknesses much better than the previous regime.
    • Like Like x 1
  2. JustAnotherBearsFan99

JustAnotherBearsFan99 Coordinator SuperFan DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +2,375 / 3 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    778ß
    I sure agree with this about Jerry Angelo, Butka. We may get upset with Emery when he doesn't stick with some players, but he's not GM to be a buddy to the fans. We need a guy who will make the tough decisions to make us better, and to SUSTAIN success. Just being a nice guy and keeping people like Urlacher too long, doesn't help the team. These guys make bigtime money while they're still productive, but when they can't help the team anymore then let them walk. Be ruthless in achieving greatness. This isn't a charity here. We want championships again in Chicago.
    • Like Like x 1
  3. Akuma2000

Akuma2000 Veteran SuperFan

Ratings:
    +165 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    42ß
    I agree with you, Emery strikes when a problem needs to be fixed or addressed......he wants to bring the "shuffle" back to the chi. :3_12_22[1]:
    • Like Like x 2
  4. soulman

soulman Pro-Bowler SuperFan DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +1,853 / 6 / -3
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,559ß
    Out of all that's happened this is what I'm most excited about. I don't expect everything to turn out as planned and in the exact manner in which it was planned. But if you have good contingency plans you can always adapt to those and then make even more changes. I expected a lot of defensive turnover this year and posted about it even last spring. Like most GMs, Emery is gonna make this team his and build it around his vision. So far I can't see anything that tells me he isn't headed in the right direction. In this case change is a good thing.
  5. soulman

Ratings:
    +1,853 / 6 / -3
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,559ß
    Gotcha. :cheers:
  6. soulman

Ratings:
    +1,853 / 6 / -3
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,559ß
    Good post. All of it.

As I recall one of Emery's first moves as GM was to overhaul that scouting dept. Then he added a statistical analyst to help him profile and evaluate players in ways few are doing. That's just one thing that makes him very different from teams like Dallas or Washington who always seem to be looking backward as opposed to forward. With Emery is far less what have you done and far more what more can you do.
    • Like Like x 1
  7. MarkBear

MarkBear Rookie

Ratings:
    +17 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    25ß
    Happy to see the Bears making great moves. Can't wait to see how the season goes.:14_6_12[1]:
  8. BossK

BossK Veteran SuperFan

Ratings:
    +37 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    21ß
    I wish I could "like" this post about ten more times. I get heartburn just thinking about JA and Lovie-dovie and Tice and his f@cking pixie dust. When the need for a legitimate WR was paramount, and obvious to everyone with an IQ over eggplant, they were all about Hester being a no.1. Then when our O-line is trying to get our new qb killed, we gotta listen to how JA tried everything he could to fix it, but there just were no options...except lets have some more pixie dust on Webb. That'll work.

I realize that this is still honeymoon period for Emery and Trestman, and until they bring a ring to Chicago I am not completely down with their kool-aid, but comparing them to JA sure makes me feel a lot better.
    • Like Like x 2