Emery, Bears close to pulling off rare three-part strategy

Discussion in 'Chicago Bears' started by Akuma2000, Apr 1, 2014.

1. soulman

soulman Pro-Bowler
    SuperFan DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +1,917 / 7 / -3
    ßearz ßuckz:
    713ß
    Please Register or Log in to Remove this Advertisement!
    I would actually enjoy that for a change. :p :rofl2:

2. soulman

soulman Pro-Bowler
    SuperFan DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +1,917 / 7 / -3
    ßearz ßuckz:
    713ß
    You've noticed it too huh? He seems to have system for restocking positions blending vets with rookies and 1st and 2nd year guys so the vets can help the rookies adapt and better understand their assignments. Long gives huge kudos to Garza for all his help which I'm sure it at least part of why he wanted him back. Coaches can only do so much. The rest has be relayed on the field in real time.

I don't know about a DE as much as I think a LB and another DT. The two biggest holes I see in the front 7 yet to be dealt with are a true 3 tech DT, not a NT, and a MLB prospect. I just don't think Bostic will ever be able to handle MLB but I do think he has the speed and aggressiveness to play WLB where he can scrape along the backside of the line to make tackles. With Urlacher gone I believe that position will be even more important. We could all see even more fall off in the run defense when he went out. He shuts down a lot of runs.

He seems to be peeling vets off in layers where he needs them the least but keeping or adding enough to keep a balance. I've grown a lot more confident with him this spring. I don't think JA ever really had a plan or at least not a functional one. Emery is a bulldog or may even a pit bull. When decides to fix something he's not about halfway measures.

3. riczaj01

riczaj01 DaBears Ditka
    DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +4,126 / 10 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    2,486ß
    It's nice, whether you agree or not w/some of his moves, to see a plan come together for a GM. Last year in FA he plugged holes and then tried to find long term replacements, and for the most part did so. This year he's doing the same w/the D.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Bearsinhouston

Bearsinhouston Coordinator

Ratings:
    +3,209 / 12 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    3,170ß
    Hey... After what we've had, how do you complain?

5. DaTreeBears

DaTreeBears Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +726 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    465ß
    I even like his non-moves, like not sending anyone to Johnny Manziel's pro-day. That guy is another Sanchez in the making.

• Like Like x 1
  6. soulman

soulman Pro-Bowler
    SuperFan DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +1,917 / 7 / -3
    ßearz ßuckz:
    713ß
    That was a complaint? Come on brother. You've read most of my complaints. That one isn't even close. Should I have put a smiley at the end to signify my satisfaction or would this one be more appropriate. :wank: I'm still reserving final judgment until the climax of his endeavors. :D

7. Akuma2000

Akuma2000 Veteran
    SuperFan

Ratings:
    +182 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    64ß
    It is so refreshing not to hear the usual lingo from angelo and lovie "we're comfortable with the guys we have", knowing we needed changes and nothing got done.

Good to see that Emery is a no nonsense GM, if something needs to be addressed and/or fixed he doesn't waste anytime and makes it happen.........the future is looking bright for the Bears to be competitive and contending every year in the playoffs starting this upcoming season.

• Like Like x 2
  8. Bearsinhouston

Bearsinhouston Coordinator

Ratings:
    +3,209 / 12 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    3,170ß
    no.. I see how it can be misconstrued. I meant it as how can we complain after what we have had. Not that anyone is complaining. Just a saying... We've hgad it so bad that you pretty much can't complain with whatever we get. We've had the worst (well... not really but it seems that way sometimes) , so it's only up from there, LOL.

• Like Like x 1
  9. riczaj01

riczaj01 DaBears Ditka
    DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +4,126 / 10 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    2,486ß
    You don't, you should be busy trying to catch up on all the air you lost holding your breath for the last 10 years.

10. JustAnotherBearsFan99

JustAnotherBearsFan99 Assistant Head Coach
    SuperFan DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +4,090 / 4 / -1
    ßearz ßuckz:
    3,496ß
    1. I am impressed by how Emery makes good use of every cap-dollar. He gets a good value/return with his FA investments, and doesn't lock us into risky long-term contracts when a shorter term contract allows us to bail out on some of these guys if needed, without too bad of a cap penalty.

2. With cap realities being what they are, the foundation for sustaining winning is to keep a pipeline of young talent coming through that draft pipeline. The draft is the source for sustained winning within cap restraints - not doing the Dallas or Redskin thing of spending money on FA's like idiots.

3. To do #2, above, you have to have an exceptional scouting department and GM. Even the best teams will draft a few busts. It happens. But that bust rate must be smaller than the other 31 teams if you want to win championships. Look at the classy franchises of the NFL. These teams sustain success by being shrewd judges of talent, with very few misses. And over time, they have rock solid DEPTH too. It's not just the starters who shine. When starters go down (as ours did last season) they simply reload and keep firing - and winning. That's not a pipe dream folks. That's what the BEST teams do.

But a lot of this hinges upon that scouting department & GM. I was thinking today, that if they want to honor somebody at a future game, if we win a super bowl due to our GM and scouting department (not just the coaches, but the guys who fuel the success and stock the pipeline), how about trotting out our scouting department boys and showing THEM some love :-)

Last edited: Apr 2, 2014
    • Like Like x 1