Emery ecstatic about Marshall's deal

Discussion in 'Chicago Bears' started by The Newsman, May 23, 2014.

1. The Newsman

The Newsman Veteran SuperFan DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +43 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,092ß
    ChicagoBears.com News:

Calling Brandon Marshall "a special player and teammate," Bears general manager Phil Emery expressed his excitement about signing the Pro Bowl receiver to a three-year extension.

Continue reading...
    • Like Like x 1
  2. Ski-Whiz

Ski-Whiz George Halas Staff Member

Ratings:
    +941 / 1 / -2
    ßearz ßuckz:
    510ß
    Sounds like one big happy family!!
  3. soulman

soulman Pro-Bowler SuperFan DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +1,912 / 7 / -3
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,760ß
    The entire Bears organization should be pleased because here again he showed that he's changed from being a me first guy to a real team guy. He agreed to 3 years at an average of $10 mil per year which is far less than any top 5 WR would normally be paid and only a little more than the four year deal he was on when the Bears traded for him. That one averaged about $9 mil per year. They did guarantee $23 mil of the extension but that's no big deal since he'll earn every bit of it.

IMHO by doing this it clears the decks for the Bears to be able to better afford a comparable extension for Alshon Jeffery when the time comes because they know they also need to get that done if he continues to perform as he has. I like Marshall's comments that, in effect, Jeffery is helping him to prolong his own career so in a certain way he's sharing the financial benefits of being the top WR duo in the NFL with Jeffery. I expect he'll get his extension next spring before he enters his contract year as well.

It's nice to see the way this offense has pulled together for Trestman and for one another. I think someone else posted about the culture change that's coming about throughout the entire organization and I see it too. All the way from ownership right down to the vets helping rookies and the backups helping the vets in whatever way they can. That's a massive difference in the attitudes and the behavior of players compared to the way it used to be. For the first time in a long while I'm really excited about what this team is becoming and how prepared they are to find ways to start playing dominating football again.
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. Tarkus

Tarkus Veteran

Ratings:
    +270 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    Rarest story in sports nowadays...

A player who not only realizes the advantages awarded by being in the right place where his career benefits the most but also how it's raised his personal life.

Feel good story of the year & the season hasn't even started.
    • Like Like x 1
  5. soulman

soulman Pro-Bowler SuperFan DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +1,912 / 7 / -3
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,760ß
    It really is but I expect it won't be enough of a lesson learned to offset the rest of the greed too many agents instill in their clients. One question that keeps running through my mind that I need to get an answer to just to satisfy my curiosity is this. Does the agent get compensated on the entire value of the contract or only that portion of it that his client actually receives? Also does he get paid the entire amount upfront or is he paid as the client receives it?

For example. Jared Allen's deal is for $32 mil with $15.5 mil guaranteed but he only receives $3 mil of that guarantee this year. The other $12.5 mil is paid in 2015 and then the last two years of the contract aren't guaranteed. Based on a 4% commission (roughly what an agent gets) how much does he get paid and when does he get paid? Guess I'll have to put those questions to an agent to see what kind of answer I get.

Nonetheless it was a nice move on Brandon's part to figure out a way to be fairly compensated without hampering the team in it's other efforts to sign and keep other talented players.