Emery on Secrecy of Jared Allen Negotiations

Discussion in 'Chicago Bears' started by soulman, Mar 31, 2014.

1. soulman

soulman Pro-Bowler SuperFan DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +1,680 / 2 / -2
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,141ß
    Emery talks about the secrecy of the Jared Allen talks
    Posted by Mike Florio on March 31, 2014, 5:41 PM EDT
    [​IMG]AP

No one knew the Bears were negotiating with defensive end Jared Allen. And that’s exactly how the Bears wanted it.
    They managed to keep it completely quiet until the deal was done. Then, for good measure, the Bears kept it under wraps until it was too late for G.M. Phil Emery or coach Marc Trestman to be asked anything about the acquisition before they bolted from Orlando on the final day of the league meetings.

During the press conference that streamed over ChicagoBears.com, Emery boasted about the measures taken to keep it all quiet last week in Florida, which included dodging a national reporter (it wasn’t me) who nearly witnessed a meeting between team representatives and agent Ken Harris.

“We knew to have it remain silent,” Emery said, via John Mullin of CSN Chicago, “we couldn’t have anybody see us meet or shake hands, so we met at night away from the hotel. But Ken had come to meet us and we were standing out facing the parking lot and [the reporter] walked to [Bears contract negotiator] Cliff Stein and shook his hand. . . .
    “I grabbed Ken [Harris]. I pulled him around and put him behind a post. And then [the reporter] walked off. . . . No one saw Ken and we did that off campus.”

It’s unclear why the Bears insisted on secrecy, or why Harris agreed to go along with it. The only plausible explanation is that the Bears were offering much more than anyone else, and that the Bears didn’t want to wake up a team like the Seahawks, prompting them to increase their own position. To get Harris to play ball, the Bears presumably made the Patriots-style threat/promise that if word of the talks leaks, the talks immediately would end.

Still, it wasn’t necessary to continue the ruse until after Trestman had fulfilled his media obligation at the NFC coaches’ breakfast. That was an optional move by the Bears, aimed at steering traffic to their own media properties.
    Right or wrong, it worked.
  2. soulman

Ratings:
    +1,680 / 2 / -2
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,141ß
    Well I always said the Uncle Phil was a great poker player. Here's another example. Even the NSA couldn't have busted him on this one.
  3. riczaj01

riczaj01 DaBears Ditka DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +2,661 / 8 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    569ß
    In the end it worked, and that's all that matterred. Well done Emery.
  4. dachuckster

dachuckster Veteran SuperFan

Ratings:
    +293 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    105ß
    Can you see Lovie/JA pulling this off? I can't.

And it is a great feeling to see our back office organization being compared to New England (IMO a very well run franchise).
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. riczaj01

riczaj01 DaBears Ditka DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +2,661 / 8 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    569ß
    lol Lovie/JA were more likely to be compared to the key stone cops then they were to NE.
  6. soulman

Ratings:
    +1,680 / 2 / -2
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,141ß
    Nope, although did a nice job getting Pep it wasn't much of a secret they coveted him and they also gave him the biggest contract any DE had ever received up to that point in time. I'm sure that helped grease the skids.
  7. sluggobear

sluggobear Veteran

Ratings:
    +46 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    14ß
    Excellent job!
  8. DaTreeBears

DaTreeBears Veteran

Ratings:
    +534 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    144ß
    If Lovie/JA tried this move they would've of somehow lost a draft pick even though he was a FA and the keys to Virginia McCaskey's car.
    • Funny Funny x 1
  9. Akuma2000

Akuma2000 Veteran SuperFan

Ratings:
    +160 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    32ß
    Prime example of ninja stealth at its finest, Emery is the man.
  10. soulman

Ratings:
    +1,680 / 2 / -2
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,141ß
    "Moon Mullins follow up article on it. Along with guys like Haugh, Biggs and Dan Pompei, Mullin is another guy whose kind of in that "inner circle" of Bears media followers and it's obvious that not even one of those guys had clue this might go down.

How the Bears 'sniped' Jared Allen away from the rest of the NFL
    March 31, 2014, 4:00 pm
    Comments
    [​IMG]
    Cheer
    [​IMG]

Boo

[​IMG]

It all began with a bit of subterfuge on the Bears’ part and ended with them adding a potential Hall of Fame pass rusher as the latest piece of a dramatic, aggressive Bears offseason.

Here’s how it unfolded: The Bears were interested in Jared Allen, but secrecy is frequently a huge factor, ensuring your competitors don’t know your intentions. So it was last week at the NFL owners’ meetings in Orlando, when Bears GM Phil Emery was about to meet with Jared Allen agent Ken Harris in front of the meetings’ hotel in Orlando.

Just as they were about to meet, Emery spotted a prominent national reporter walking their direction. Rather than risk a report that the Bears were meeting with Jared Allen’s representative, Emery used the old potted-palm ploy:

[MORE: Jared Allen has Super Bowl dreams with the Bears]

“We knew to have it remain silent,” Emery said. “We couldn’t have anybody see us meet or shake hands, so we met at night away from the hotel. But Ken had come to meet us and we were standing out facing the parking lot and [the reporter] walked to [Bears contract negotiator] Cliff Stein and shook his hand.”

The reporter’s back was to Allen’s agent, so “I grabbed Ken [Harris]. I pulled him around and put him behind a post. And then [the reporter] walked off… . “No one saw Ken and we did that off campus.”

The result was a multi-year deal that puts in place the No. 1 right defensive end for the Bears, a fixture who has started 16 games in all of his six seasons with the Minnesota Vikings.

[RELATED: After Allen, NFL Draft still begins with 'D' for the Bears]

“They sniped me,” Allen said, laughing. “The whole way it happened was just so cool. I appreciate how hard and how diligent everybody worked on the contract. I know both sides pushed through some issues and gave a little. That's what I was really looking for ultimately was, they got creative on things to make it work -- both sides.

“And to come into an organization that's willing to work, that's willing to trust that we're going to do what we say we're going to do and they're going to do what they say they're going to do and everything works out in the end, I mean, there's no better way to start off the relationship. So it was cool how they laid low and got it done at the end.”
    • Like Like x 1