Emery said to want to re-tool the D, not rebuild. Is this the smart way to do it?

Discussion in 'Chicago Bears' started by dabears, Feb 10, 2014.

1. dabears

dabears Veteran

Ratings:
    +26 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    I was hoping for a major rebuild after that fiasco we had last season but he seems to think we just need to retoolcertain positions. Don't think I agree with that approach. While his drafting has been good on the O side of the field I can't say much for his D picks. Thoughts?

Link: http://www.chicagonow.com/chicago-b...k-to-retool-not-rebuild-broken-bears-defense/

Last season, the Chicago Bears found themselves with a new identity; a new head coach with a new philosophy, and a new regime of players looking to take the franchise to the next phase of its storied history.
    The new offensive-minded Bears ended 2013 8-8, missing the playoffs by one fourth-and-eight conversion.
    Looking back on Lovie Smith’s last three seasons in Chicago prior to being fired might make 2013 appear to some as a total disaster. But final record aside, I believe 2013 was a big step in the right direction. All things considered, the fact that this team even had a shot at the postseason once Week-17 came was an accomplishment.
    Don’t take that the wrong way. Missing the playoffs and finishing 8-8 is not in and of itself worthy of praise. The Bears had maybe the worst defense in the league last season. Statistically, they were awful, and the game tape shows a confusion that equates to an inability to make plays against just about any look.
    But, if you consider what they were able to muster as a group with the defense playing the way it did, the strides on offense after just one season are encouraging. The mistakes made on defense are also fixable this offseason via personnel changes and acquisitions, as well as a shift in coaching philosophy.
    It will surely take a masterful job from Phil Emery to retool this defense to come close to its 2012 Lovie Smith-led counterpart, but as we saw on the opposite side of the ball, and as football fans know in general, things can change quickly in the NFL.
    The Bears will look to sign personnel via free agency and of course try and secure high-impact players on cheaper, one-year deals. But the most important phase of the offseason will come on draft day, when Chicago chooses 14th overall in round one.
    With the 14th, 46th and 78th picks in rounds one through three, the Bears could potentially secure three quality defenders to step in and contribute in just a short period of time.
    The last couple of seasons, the Bears have been caught picking in the 18-22 range, which can get you a quality player in round one but might limit you from getting real solid value in the second or third. It’s not just a goal to hit on at least one defensive player in this year’s draft for Emery, it’s an absolute must for the success of his team moving forward.
    In Phil Emery’s three years as general Manager, it doesn’t yet appear that he’s been able to do it. It’s also clear that he prefers the high risk, high reward guy on the board. But this time it might benefit him to take the surer thing.
    Emery’s 2014 pick might wind up to be his most important as Chicago Bears general manager considering the decline on defense during his tenure. But at least the defense is where most of the holes on this roster are, and if nothing else, Emery can focus on that side of the ball with more emphasis.
    It’s also important to remember that this is a defensive retooling, not a straight rebuild. The Bears still have plenty of defensive talent on the roster who, when healthy, can be difference makers week to week. And adding the extra talent needed through the draft is a must.
    Take a look at the top teams around the league; they are acquiring talent through the draft and by hitting on UDFAs. The Seahawks and 49ers are prime examples of this. Yes, they’ve brought in players through free agency for glaring voids, but the bulk of their rosters have been built through the draft.
    The Bears are still developing players along the defensive front and have stockpiled young talent who could one day make a difference. Do not rule out players like Jon Bostic or Khaseem Greene to become playmakers in the coming season with the right development and under the correct leadership.
    The Bears were 8-8 with a historically bad run defense — maybe the worst we’ve ever seen. The offense compensated for the defensive mistakes and almost found a way into the playoffs. Imagine what this team could do with another year on offense and a defense that’s even middle of the pack instead of fighting for dead last.
    The injuries suffered in 2013 undoubtedly played a huge factor in their struggles against the run, but the Bears weren’t prepared for it. Getting those players back healthy on top of new draft picks, and a free agent signing or two, and the Bears could be a real NFC threat.
    But it will always sound easier on paper than it really is, and that’s where Phil Emery comes in. Win the offseason, Phil, and get this team back on track before it’s too late.
  2. riczaj01

riczaj01 DaBears Ditka DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +2,898 / 8 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    909ß
    I'll read later, but how do you retool a D w/6 players still on it(assuming Peppers stays) and wanting to get younger? He can call it whatever he wants, but when you are replacing nearly 1/2 of your starter w/younger players, that's a rebuild.
    • Winner Winner x 1
  3. butkus3595

butkus3595 Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +545 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    243ß
    Not quite sure what you disagree with. He said Emery will look to make some impact signings and stock up in the draft...like he did on offense. What else would you expect to happen?
    • Like Like x 1
  4. riczaj01

Ratings:
    +2,898 / 8 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    909ß
    Butkus, first part of the first sentance I said "I'll read this later..." I haven't read, but how do you "retool" when you only have 50% of your starters? That's not retooling. L

ast year he signed 3 players, and had 2 rookies starting(1 that wasn' expected to start). Only 1 was signficant, Bushrod at LT, his primary starters, his key players were all in place on O, Cutler, Forte, Jeffery, Marshal, even key backups were in place in Bush Bennett.

This year he needs to get the "qb of the D" mlb, he needs 3 DL(unless you think 1 of Bass/Corny are capable starters and Peppers is returning, and 2 DB's(not to mention backup guys) and there is no real depth on the D at all, the only area that doesn't need help via starter or depth is OLB.

I'm sorry what he did last year and what he has t do this year is completely different. 24 of 52 roster guys are not(minus Cutler/Jennings/Fia/Gould) are not signed, that wasn't the case last year.
  5. butkus3595

butkus3595 Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +545 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    243ß
    Ric, He signed Bushrod, Slausen, and drafted Long, and Mills....thats 4 new starters out of 5 on the o-line, as well as signed Britton for depth. He then signed Martellus Bennet as our starter at TE, and cut E_Rod and brought in Fiametta to start at FB...thats 7 new starters on offense when you include Jeffery(who was more of a question mark than a sure thing coming off an injury plagued rookie year). Thats pretty significant. As for the defense...I think we're forgetting a major factor with the injuries we had. So we need 3 d lineman...last year we got 4 new o-lineman. We also had a receiver come into his own in his second year...which I think will happen with Bostic on the defensive side. We could resign D.J. to a friendly deal again probably if need be. It's really all semantics...retooling...rebuilding....whats the difference really?
    • Like Like x 1
  6. riczaj01

Ratings:
    +2,898 / 8 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    909ß
    He didn't draft Mills to start, that was out of necessity b/c of the complete fail that is Webb. So he went into the season w/3 starters, on the OL, and then Bennett as a starting TE. That's 4 of 11. He only cut E-Rod b/c of the legal issues, and FB is hardly essential anyways.

I'm not talking about last year's D, other then how few D players are still on the team right now.
  7. butkus3595

butkus3595 Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +545 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    243ß
    Whether he drafted him to start or not, he drafted him, and he ended up starting. The ways in which we ended up with 7 new starters on offense are inconsequential...all that matters is that we had 7 new starters on offense. Same on defense. The ways in which we end up with new starters are inconsequential. I don't care if a guy was a undrafted free agent who ends up starting, if they end up a starter, they're a starter.

As I said...it's all semantics...whatever you want to call it, the defense needs work...I think we can all agree on that.
  8. riczaj01

Ratings:
    +2,898 / 8 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    909ß
    but we are talking about what Emery was planning on doing, not what ended up happening. He intended for Webb to start and for Mills to be a project(scott was the swing T backup)
  9. butkus3595

butkus3595 Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +545 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    243ß
    Possibly. There was also talk of Long playing right tackle, but the Bears were impressed with Mills in OTA's. I think they had a good idea who would win out in the competition(I don't think they ever planned on Webb starting at all one way or the other). But it really doesn't matter. Emery brought guys in to compete with guys we had. That competition bread 7 new starters. Now he needs to do the same with the defense. He did that last year in the draft and with free agent signings...but a majority ended up injured. We'll see what this year brings.
  10. JustAnotherBearsFan99

JustAnotherBearsFan99 Coordinator SuperFan DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +2,307 / 3 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    706ß
    This ^^^^^

I laughed when I read it's just a "retool" thing.
  11. butkus3595

butkus3595 Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +545 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    243ß
    If we're going to take this literally...what happens if we end up resigning a large portion of our own free agents on the defensive side of the ball and only add 3 or 4 players via free agency...is it still a "rebuild" or is a "retool"? I generally don't care what ya call it, as long as it gets better!
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  12. JustAnotherBearsFan99

JustAnotherBearsFan99 Coordinator SuperFan DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +2,307 / 3 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    706ß
    It's a stupid (really stupid) article. It's just playing with semantics. I thought I'd die laughing when I read it's just a "retool" thing. Sounded like something written by Mike "Pixie Dust" Tice. By the time the defense takes the field in September, the D will be unrecognizable from the Lovie Smith team. I'm confident the offense will be rebuilt, but this won't look like the Lovie Smith team - players or the defense itself - as we move forward. That's fine, and call it a retool, rebuild or a major "pixie dust" revamp..........it's a major change.

It's not a "rebuild" but merely a flesh wound.......just need to "re-tool" my arms and legs :)

[​IMG]
    Last edited: Feb 10, 2014
    • Like Like x 3
  13. butkus3595

butkus3595 Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +545 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    243ß
    Haha...yeah...now that you mention it...it kind of is a stupid article...I mean we all know the defense needs work...whatever you want to call it. It's lazy journalism...but in it's defense there isn't much going on right now...it's driving me a bit nuts if nobody has been able to notice!
    • Like Like x 1
  14. short faced bear

short faced bear Assistant Head Coach DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +1,193 / 0 / -2
    ßearz ßuckz:
    86ß
    Complete rebuild. The main point is to rebuild fast enough that the offense doesn't suffer either through time or missing out on a player b/c drafting for need vs. BPA. Phil has to get some kind of d line and secondary help in FA then lather, rinse, and repeat in the draft. He also can't afford any more Hardin's in the draft and must at least draft an offensive player or 2 (OC, TE, speedy slot WR).
    • Like Like x 2
  15. mdbearz

mdbearz Veteran

Ratings:
    +283 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    23ß
    Re-build or Re-tool, I think this is sematics.

We are replacing so many players how can you not call it a re-building.

If you want to use the house building analogy, we only have half the basement built.
    • Like Like x 2
  16. Jimmors

Jimmors The Rhymenoceros Staff Member SuperFan

Ratings:
    +4,424 / 8 / -6
    ßearz ßuckz:
    723ß
    I dont care what they call it or how they do it, but they need to fix this defense.
    • Like Like x 1
  17. Bearstuff

Bearstuff Yes, in the woods. Staff Member SuperFan

Ratings:
    +1,121 / 3 / -2
    ßearz ßuckz:
    463ß
    He'll bite your knees.
    • Funny Funny x 1
  18. riczaj01

Ratings:
    +2,898 / 8 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    909ß
    Emery believe's the lack of D players is merely a flesh wound, but in reality the D is missing both legs and an arm.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  19. BSBEARS

BSBEARS Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +717 / 4 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    670ß
    Where did this come from. I looked at chicagobears.com and nothing similar. Seems to me if Emery made such a statement it would be posted on the bears site.

Thus I believe this is a writers opinion and playing with semantics as others have stated. The article does not have a quote leading one to believe again that its an opinion of some bored journalist. He made up a title and put emery's picture with it.

I have seen nothing to make me believe this is an official position of the braintrust. Makes for a good play on words though
    • Like Like x 3
  20. jackiejokeman

jackiejokeman Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +191 / 2 / -1
    ßearz ßuckz:
    344ß
    Hey if Im retooling Im rebuilding ,and if Im rebuilding Im retooling.

Whats wth the word play that means the same thing ?

If Emery pulls off a D rebuild/retool like he did the O ... we may never get rid of the guy.