Emery said to want to re-tool the D, not rebuild. Is this the smart way to do it?

Discussion in 'Chicago Bears' started by dabears, Feb 10, 2014.

1. butkus3595

butkus3595 Pro-Bowler

ßearz ßuckz:
    2,816ß
    Ratings:
    +2,225 / 1 / -0
    Please Register or Log in to Remove this Advertisement!
    If we're going to take this literally...what happens if we end up resigning a large portion of our own free agents on the defensive side of the ball and only add 3 or 4 players via free agency...is it still a "rebuild" or is a "retool"? I generally don't care what ya call it, as long as it gets better!

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  2. JustAnotherBearsFan99

JustAnotherBearsFan99 Assistant Head Coach
    SuperFan DBS Writer

ßearz ßuckz:
    4,301ß
    Ratings:
    +4,609 / 4 / -1
    It's a stupid (really stupid) article. It's just playing with semantics. I thought I'd die laughing when I read it's just a "retool" thing. Sounded like something written by Mike "Pixie Dust" Tice. By the time the defense takes the field in September, the D will be unrecognizable from the Lovie Smith team. I'm confident the offense will be rebuilt, but this won't look like the Lovie Smith team - players or the defense itself - as we move forward. That's fine, and call it a retool, rebuild or a major "pixie dust" revamp..........it's a major change.

It's not a "rebuild" but merely a flesh wound.......just need to "re-tool" my arms and legs :)

[​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 10, 2014
    • Like Like x 3
  3. butkus3595

butkus3595 Pro-Bowler

ßearz ßuckz:
    2,816ß
    Ratings:
    +2,225 / 1 / -0
    Haha...yeah...now that you mention it...it kind of is a stupid article...I mean we all know the defense needs work...whatever you want to call it. It's lazy journalism...but in it's defense there isn't much going on right now...it's driving me a bit nuts if nobody has been able to notice!

• Like Like x 1
  4. short faced bear

short faced bear Assistant Head Coach
    DBS Writer

ßearz ßuckz:
    796ß
    Ratings:
    +1,602 / 0 / -3
    Complete rebuild. The main point is to rebuild fast enough that the offense doesn't suffer either through time or missing out on a player b/c drafting for need vs. BPA. Phil has to get some kind of d line and secondary help in FA then lather, rinse, and repeat in the draft. He also can't afford any more Hardin's in the draft and must at least draft an offensive player or 2 (OC, TE, speedy slot WR).

• Like Like x 2
  5. mdbearz

mdbearz Veteran

ßearz ßuckz:
    230ß
    Ratings:
    +429 / 0 / -0
    Re-build or Re-tool, I think this is sematics.

We are replacing so many players how can you not call it a re-building.

If you want to use the house building analogy, we only have half the basement built.

• Like Like x 2
  6. Jimmors

Jimmors The Rhymenoceros
    Staff Member

ßearz ßuckz:
    2,278ß
    Ratings:
    +5,452 / 9 / -7
    I dont care what they call it or how they do it, but they need to fix this defense.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Bearstuff

Bearstuff Yes, in the woods.
    Staff Member SuperFan

ßearz ßuckz:
    772ß
    Ratings:
    +1,384 / 3 / -3
    He'll bite your knees.

• Funny Funny x 1
  8. riczaj01

riczaj01 DaBears Ditka
    DBS Writer

ßearz ßuckz:
    3,132ß
    Ratings:
    +4,547 / 10 / -8
    Emery believe's the lack of D players is merely a flesh wound, but in reality the D is missing both legs and an arm.

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. BSBEARS

BSBEARS Pro-Bowler

ßearz ßuckz:
    2,534ß
    Ratings:
    +1,462 / 4 / -0
    Where did this come from. I looked at chicagobears.com and nothing similar. Seems to me if Emery made such a statement it would be posted on the bears site.

Thus I believe this is a writers opinion and playing with semantics as others have stated. The article does not have a quote leading one to believe again that its an opinion of some bored journalist. He made up a title and put emery's picture with it.

I have seen nothing to make me believe this is an official position of the braintrust. Makes for a good play on words though

• Like Like x 3
  10. jackiejokeman

jackiejokeman Pro-Bowler

ßearz ßuckz:
    812ß
    Ratings:
    +252 / 2 / -1
    Hey if Im retooling Im rebuilding ,and if Im rebuilding Im retooling.

Whats wth the word play that means the same thing ?

If Emery pulls off a D rebuild/retool like he did the O ... we may never get rid of the guy.