Emery, time for Vision to evolve.

Discussion in 'Chicago Bears' started by BSBEARS, May 11, 2014.

1. BSBEARS

BSBEARS Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +759 / 4 / -1
    ßearz ßuckz:
    746ß
  2. riczaj01

riczaj01 DaBears Ditka DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +3,011 / 9 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,042ß
    Great article. Emery deserves the benefit of the doubt, and I think the staff and scouting stability is definitely been a boon this year.
    Something I didn't know until I was listening to Zach Zaidmens show tonight, LSU had more draftee's then any other team this year; and they reiterated what Emery said, when teams tried to run inside on Ego they couldn't, we are talking about the SEC folks, best conference in college football and teams couldn't run on LSU when Ego is playing.
    Then I went back to the scout from chicagobears.com who said that the coaches and teammates looked at him as a leader; and again the team that had most draftee's looked at Ego as a leader, that's a huge mark imo. The scout also said that a lot of what LSU was allowed to do on D was b/c of Ego taking up space on the inside.
    So if our riskiest early pick was the leader of a nfl stacked football team, and his biggest weakness is his polish b/c he only started 1 season, then the guy shouldn't have any problems getting up to speed if the coaches are worth their salt.
    Last edited: May 11, 2014
    • Like Like x 4
  3. Bearsinhouston

Bearsinhouston Position Coach

Ratings:
    +1,579 / 6 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    803ß
    Wasn't able to open the article, but sounds like it would be a good read.
  4. soulman

soulman Pro-Bowler SuperFan DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +1,870 / 6 / -3
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,619ß
    This was a well written article and a very fair analysis of the process Emery and the team have been going through. I chose to excerpt one short paragraph that as much as anything indicates the kind of planning and logic that went into these choices in every round.

Sixth-round quarterback David Fales and punter Pat O'Donnell are worthwhile picks because they address needs and have great opportunities to make the team. The latter would be no small accomplishment for any player drafted that late.

Virtually any other players we might have taken with those two picks would have had far less chance of making the team than these two. Even if Fales doesn't win out as the #3 QB we will still have gotten a guy almost guaranteed to be a starting punter out of that round and that was a huge need for us.

I'll also applaud Emery and his staff for having a great Plan B in place in the event that Aaron Donald was off the board at #14. Even with losing him to the Rams just one pick earlier he still had three more prospects left and resisted any urge to trade down and took the best of those three on his board. With a starting DT and Safety as his highest needs it took some balls to stick to his guns and take the BPA on his board even though that guy was a CB.

The real payoff for their preparation came later in rounds three and four. To me this is what swung the draft as far as finding guys who can come in and play now and make an impact. Sutton was his fall back if Donald didn't make it to #14 and he got him in three. Carey was as good an all around back as he could expect to find in this draft and apparently they did their homework enough to feel that his previous problems off the field were behind him. But the smoothest move IMHO was making the trade that got them Vereen. I think he's gonna be a much better player than his draft ranking indicated. If he'd spent his entire senior year at Safety I think he'd have been right up there with Ward and Bucannon as a 2nd round ranked pick and have been off the board far earlier than the fourth round. That was a smart move and I think we got a starting caliber FS out of it.

This was no doubt Emery's best draft so far now all we have to do is wait to see if it pays off the way it looks like it might.
    • Winner Winner x 1
  5. Bearsinhouston

Ratings:
    +1,579 / 6 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    803ß
    So he said in the article that he was going for Donald?
  6. soulman

soulman Pro-Bowler SuperFan DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +1,870 / 6 / -3
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,619ß
    No but we all know he'd have taken Donald if he was still there and up until the Rams pick was announced I'd bet they were just about ready to pop the champagne corks and make the call to him.

Do you really believe Fuller was his first choice?
  7. riczaj01

Ratings:
    +3,011 / 9 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,042ß
    know soul is doing what he does best, sticking to his story regardless of whether it has any truth in it or not. :p

to be fair chances are they would have taken Donald and then probably grabbed a CB in the 3rd instead of Sutton, but it's hard to tell b/c Emery said that they were targeting Ego and Sutton in the 2nd and 3rd, but didn't say if that was from the start of the draft or after they chose Fuller. It's possible that Fuller was their target from the get go b/c you will not find CB's of his caliber later in the draft this year, and next year chances are the team is picking in the 20's, and you won't find a CB of that caliber either. It's very possible that the team was looking at the longterm stability of CB and decided Gilbert/Fuller were their best options w/or w/out Donald, b/c the depth of DT was so deep this year they could get a quality DT later(going back to Sutton).
  8. Grizzblue

Grizzblue Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +450 / 1 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    59ß
    They made the Fuller pick almost immediately (about 20 seconds into the clock) so either Fuller was indeed his primary target or they had that plan locked in place. Not too much hesitation even with Donald being taken right before him.
    • Like Like x 1
  9. riczaj01

Ratings:
    +3,011 / 9 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,042ß
    I think that definatley leads credibility to the theory that they wanted to shore up CB for the future b/c of how hard it's going to be to solve it in future drafts.
  10. Bearsinhouston

Ratings:
    +1,579 / 6 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    803ß
    Well, he wasn't my first choice (Donald was), but I have no idea who his first choice was. I know secondary was hot for him, and I know top safeties were available, so a S wasn't his first choice, but I have no idea. Because he chose two DT's my guess was that it was in fact Donald, but yeah it could have been Fuller for all I know.

I think Sutton is as good or close enough to Donald if he gets back to prior form, so I'm actually ok with how this came out as long as Suttons potential is met. We may have gotten a top tier CB AND DT which I only expected to get one of.
    • Like Like x 1
  11. Bearsinhouston

Ratings:
    +1,579 / 6 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    803ß
    Grizz... either could be true. You KNOW Emery had a plan in place, so if he was going for Donald and he was gone, he knew exactly where he was going. Either way, I like that he has a plan, and the plan is not just to let Lovie pick someone.
    • Like Like x 2
  12. omc1969

omc1969 Veteran

Ratings:
    +204 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    30ß
    I couldn't open the link either but I will say that I like what Emery is doing for sure.
    Good plan and it's coming together nicely.
    :smile:
  13. Chicago_66

Chicago_66 Veteran

Ratings:
    +364 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    55ß
    I feel like Angelo and Lovie put all their eggs in one basket and if that players wasn't there they'd flounder and not know what to do. It was damn embarrassing the shit they pulled with the Ravens, they seem so unorganized and it reflects so poorly on the team. I love how thorough Emery is in his research. I saw in an Ego article that they talked to people who knew him at all stages of his life to get a fuller picture of who he is as a person.. I feel like they probably do that with most picks and that's a great sign. Find out what type of person he is that you're drafting and if he's a fit for your team.
    • Like Like x 3
  14. BelieveInMonsters

BelieveInMonsters Veteran

Ratings:
    +198 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    I don't think that you can make the assumption that Donald was the guy if the Rams hadn't picked him. Just because he's the guy you wanted doesn't mean you can project that onto Emery.

We have no evidence that Donald was the pick. We have more evidence to the contrary that supports the assumption that Fuller was the guy Emery wanted all along.

Fuller was one of only two players that the Bears visited with twice. Emery kept talking about CBs who are capable of playing Safety. Combine those two with Emery's comments indicating that he obviously fell in love with Fuller after scouting him in person and I absolutely have no doubt that Fuller was the #1 guy on the Bears' draft board.
    Last edited: May 12, 2014
  15. Bearsinhouston

Ratings:
    +1,579 / 6 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    803ß
    Could be either way as far as I'm concerned. Past history at this point.
    • Like Like x 3