Emery to hold a pre-draft press conference at 11

Discussion in 'Chicago Bears' started by Bearsinhouston, May 1, 2014.

1. Bearsinhouston

Bearsinhouston Position Coach

Ratings:
    +1,872 / 7 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,175ß
    Should be interesting, but Emery gives absolutely no information that can be used by other teams. Probably all he will say is that they are going to draft someone, LOL.
  2. shark86x

shark86x Pro-Bowler SuperFan

Ratings:
    +703 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    309ß
    can't watch at work. Any news on what was said?
  3. ZifanQ

ZifanQ Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +161 / 0 / -1
    ßearz ßuckz:
    60ß
    http://www.reddit.com/r/CHIBears/comments/24gsql/the_tldrtldl_of_emerys_press_conference/

Emery Press conference pretty much stolen from twitter (I will keep adding as they come):

• Emery says draft being pushed back two weeks has been "very beneficial."

• Has narrowed down picks for the #14 spot to 6 players

• Hopes that at least 2 are still available, would be ecstatic with 3

• "If I had my druthers, bigger would be better."

• Says this draft is better for offense.

• Phil Emery says tweaks to defensive scheme have changed the way he’s evaluated prospects.

• Always evaluate QB's in the draft

• Is happy with Jordan Palmer as the Back-up.

• To get a quality QB, you have to draft him high." He does not subscribe to the idea of a "developmental" quarterback.

• We've looked at every corner with "length" as a possible safety

• Emery says there's a significant drop-off between the first few safeties and the rest of the class.

• Emery said league-wide there's about 100 extra players on rosters now than at this time lst yr. Post-draft, expects a lot 2 bcome available

• Emery says the safety position on the #Bears is "wide open." He said "best players win."

• Emery expects Conte to be ready for the first preseason game.

• Emery: "There are a number of players that we like that are rehabbing from injuries."

• Phil Emery said Hard Knocks is commissioner’s decision and they would abide by whatever decision he makes.

• Emery is making the case that the #Bears get enough coverage and some other team can benefit more from being on "Hard Knocks."

• Emery hopes at least 3 QBs are selected before #Bears go on the clock at No. 14. Pushes other players down to #Bears.

• Emery just compared Shea McClellin to Dolph Lundgren. (no clue the context here)

• Emery on the #Bears LB corps: "The only person that's been told he has a job is Lance Briggs." Rest is wide open

• Emery says #Bears have received calls from other teams about moving out of No. 14 to stockpile more picks.

• Told about all the mocks projecting Aaron Donald to Chi at 14, Emery said, "I wouldn't count on that one." Joking? I don't know.

• Emery: "We look at historic values of players at positions selected per round."

• Emery was just talking about a player using his shorter height to gain leverage. Wonder if that player’s name rhymes with Daron Aonald.

• Emery on Cutler: "Jay's the only starter out of his [draft] class."

• Bears are very high on Jeremiah Ratliff. He will have a big role at DT this year. (can't tell if this is actually from the press conference or if this is just Dickerson's opinion)
    • Emery says WR Marquess Wilson is close to 200 pounds, or a little heavier.
    Looks like the conference is over
    • Like Like x 2
  4. mshu7

mshu7 Rookie

Ratings:
    +50 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    25ß
    It was not a "LIVE" press conference as far as audio/video are concerned. Reporters were there, but no cameras or mic's. It was short, but Phil said:

*it's an offensive-heavy draft
    *the Bears have 6 people in mind for the #14 spot
    *both safety spots are wide open
    *only starting LB right now is Briggs
    *leaning towards bigger (player) is better
    *content with Palmer as #2
    *looked at every possible corner that has length as possible safety
    *Conte should be ready for pre-season, but could start on PUP list
    *leaves open the possibility of Lamarr Houston playing 3-tech in the base defense. Says he'll play wherever he can help them win.
    *says #Bears have gotten "some calls" for No. 14 pick at this point.
    *experiment during OTAs w/ where LBs Jon Bostic, Shea McClellin & Khaseem Greene will line up. "More defined" by training camp
    *Emery laughs, saying he wouldn't count on Bears drafting Aaron Donald. ... Reading between the lines, Emery thinks Donald will be gone by 14
    *Jeremiah Ratliff projects as both a shade tackle and a 3-technique, very high on Jeremiah Ratliff. He will have a big role at DT this year.
    *says WR Marquess Wilson is close to 200 pounds, or a little heavier.

EDIT: Looks like someone beat me to it. :)
    • Like Like x 1
  5. riczaj01

riczaj01 DaBears Ditka DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +3,247 / 9 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,408ß
    People aren't going to like what was said in this conference.

Somethings I'm getting:
    B/c of scheme change he's evaluating differently and they are looking for bigger players, both at DT and S(bigger longer cb at the S position)
    Big long CB that can play S this year, would he play CB next year; would this be a CB drafted this year to complete and play at S on top of another one of the top 2 S's he feels are clearly better then the rest ?
    Ratliff and Houston are going to be playing DT, at least part of the time. Makes since since they have 3 starting DE's, at least in pay, and 2 starting DT's and 1 NT.
    If the Bears can work a deal to trade down for more picks, it would make perfect since, they need multiple starters in this draft, not just 1 or 2 "elite guys" to put them over.
    PE has no fear of "inj'd players".
    I think he knows his S's suck, and that his LB's are a huge "?".
  6. ZifanQ

ZifanQ Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +161 / 0 / -1
    ßearz ßuckz:
    60ß
    That is what worries me the most... I dont want another Brandon Hardin pick.
    Seems like he also doesnt think Aaron Donald will be there at 14.
  7. riczaj01

Ratings:
    +3,247 / 9 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,408ß
    He either doesn't think he'll be there, or he doesn't think the Bears will be there, or doesn't think he's a fit in the "bigger=better" mentality of the new coaching staff, or if he have Collins/Ratliff/Houston playing DT, why would we take another DT at 14? or it's all a sload of hit and he's hoping and praying everyday Donald will drop.
    • Like Like x 1
  8. latorreedgar

latorreedgar Rookie

Ratings:
    +23 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    Im also hoping 3 QB's are taken before the Bears pick. And hopefully another team ahead of the Bears go on a reach and grab the TE from UNC or teams pick 3 WR's in the top 10
    That would leave the Bears with a chance to get a really good player
  9. little bear

little bear Assistant Head Coach

Ratings:
    +901 / 1 / -2
    ßearz ßuckz:
    891ß
    Quick question guys, IF Mike Evans was miraculously still on the board at 14, do we pick him or pass?
  10. MikeV

MikeV Rookie

Ratings:
    +39 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    36ß
    Probably get an awesome deal from SF or somebody else coming to get him, but if no deal I may be tempted depending on what dbs are left on the board
    • Like Like x 2
  11. 4dabers

4dabers Veteran DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +747 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    89ß
    If he's there (or any other top 5 to 8 guy), then I get on the phone with San Fran and try to rape them. If they don't bite then I take him. I know we have needs elsewhere, but when handed a gold medal when you are expecting Silver or Bronze, then you take it and make other necessary moves. I'm not saying the whole "best Player available" should ALWAYS be used without regard for need, but when unexpected talent falls in your lap, you have to have the balls to pull the trigger and deal with the consequences later. Those opportunities just don't happen that often.
    • Like Like x 2
  12. Bearsinhouston

Ratings:
    +1,872 / 7 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,175ß
    Guess we could do worse than 3 #1 WRs, and we'd have Marshalls replacement, but he is still playing with no dropoff so it would be a while.

We'd be better off at positions that are costing us the playoffs IMO
  13. MPbears68

MPbears68 Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +1,301 / 2 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    349ß
    Assuming he's not BS'ing us I took the following from the presser:

The 1st round pick will very likely be a DB.
    We aren't all that serious about drafting a QB. Probably won't happen.
    Emery is pumping O in this draft because it suits his purposes. He's going very D-heavy.
  14. Bearsinhouston

Ratings:
    +1,872 / 7 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,175ß
    Ahhhhh...... see.......... there's where you'd be wrong. Emery, that wiley 'ol coyote.... he's going against the grain. He's gonna use #14 for a long snapper.
  15. riczaj01

Ratings:
    +3,247 / 9 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,408ß
    And most of it was probably bs. I would think the only things that weren't were the information about guys currently on the roster. Ratty/Houston are probably going to play SOME DT, the LB's and S's are an open competition.
  16. Bearsinhouston

Ratings:
    +1,872 / 7 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,175ß
    And like all of Emerys releases, nothing that you already didn;t know. However, the difference is that when he's done, somehow you're happy, whereas with Lovie (who also told you nothing), you were pissed he told you nothing. I guess Emery does it with a smile.
    • Like Like x 1
  17. Grizzblue

Grizzblue Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +479 / 2 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    89ß
    Interesting points. I just have a weird feeling that he has other players in mind not named Donald. Not saying I agree with it, but I just add up everything that he has said over the OS and have a gut feeling that if Donald is there he isn't a slam dunk to be taken. I love watching Phil work, and whoever he takes I will (try) not get pissed off over it. Not until week 8 or so at least...
  18. MPbears68

MPbears68 Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +1,301 / 2 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    349ß
    That's the feeling I get too (freely admit it could be totally wrong). But if not, and Emery passes on Donald if available, I'm gonna want to cut Phil's nuts off. That would be massively stupid.

And sorry I don't buy this crap about Ratliff being our full time future 3T. He's 32 years old and has played NT most of his career. Houston has played DE. I don't doubt that both will get substantial reps there but neither is the long term "starter" answer. I love Collins as the backup guy but he's coming off an ACL surgery it's doubtful he can be 100% by early September.

Not getting down on Dix or Pryor both of whom seem like wise choices but the #1 realistic target has to be AD in my opinion.

PS: it sounds like they're happy with Palmer so passing on drafting a QB is fine by me. Cutler is the QB for the next 3 years like it or not barring major injury or meltdown.
  19. jackiejokeman

jackiejokeman Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +215 / 2 / -1
    ßearz ßuckz:
    513ß
    JCut always gets hurt. Palmer better be ready.

This season we wont have the Josh McCown factor to fall back on.

Besides drafting a "developmental" QB in the later rounds isnt going to do us anygood this season.

If theres a sixth round Tom Brady out there for us ... lemme know.
  20. riczaj01

Ratings:
    +3,247 / 9 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,408ß
    Again it comes down to what they want from the DT position based on scheme, and who fits that mold, just b/c it's a 4-3 doesn't mean you always want small fast. If they want small fast db pressuring qb then I'd be pissed to, but if they wait and choose a bigger bodied DT down the line then Donald wouldn't have been the best choice regardless.
    • Like Like x 2