Emery to hold a pre-draft press conference at 11

Discussion in 'Chicago Bears' started by Bearsinhouston, May 1, 2014.

1. 4dabers

4dabers Veteran
    DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +879 / 1 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    187ß
    Please Register or Log in to Remove this Advertisement!
    If he's there (or any other top 5 to 8 guy), then I get on the phone with San Fran and try to rape them. If they don't bite then I take him. I know we have needs elsewhere, but when handed a gold medal when you are expecting Silver or Bronze, then you take it and make other necessary moves. I'm not saying the whole "best Player available" should ALWAYS be used without regard for need, but when unexpected talent falls in your lap, you have to have the balls to pull the trigger and deal with the consequences later. Those opportunities just don't happen that often.

• Like Like x 2
  2. Bearsinhouston

Bearsinhouston Coordinator

Ratings:
    +3,209 / 12 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    3,170ß
    Guess we could do worse than 3 #1 WRs, and we'd have Marshalls replacement, but he is still playing with no dropoff so it would be a while.

We'd be better off at positions that are costing us the playoffs IMO

3. MPbears68

MPbears68 Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +1,730 / 2 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    786ß
    Assuming he's not BS'ing us I took the following from the presser:

The 1st round pick will very likely be a DB.
    We aren't all that serious about drafting a QB. Probably won't happen.
    Emery is pumping O in this draft because it suits his purposes. He's going very D-heavy.

4. Bearsinhouston

Ratings:
    +3,209 / 12 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    3,170ß
    Ahhhhh...... see.......... there's where you'd be wrong. Emery, that wiley 'ol coyote.... he's going against the grain. He's gonna use #14 for a long snapper.

5. riczaj01

riczaj01 DaBears Ditka
    DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +4,058 / 10 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    2,315ß
    And most of it was probably bs. I would think the only things that weren't were the information about guys currently on the roster. Ratty/Houston are probably going to play SOME DT, the LB's and S's are an open competition.

6. Bearsinhouston

Ratings:
    +3,209 / 12 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    3,170ß
    And like all of Emerys releases, nothing that you already didn;t know. However, the difference is that when he's done, somehow you're happy, whereas with Lovie (who also told you nothing), you were pissed he told you nothing. I guess Emery does it with a smile.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Grizzblue

Grizzblue Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +622 / 3 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    324ß
    Interesting points. I just have a weird feeling that he has other players in mind not named Donald. Not saying I agree with it, but I just add up everything that he has said over the OS and have a gut feeling that if Donald is there he isn't a slam dunk to be taken. I love watching Phil work, and whoever he takes I will (try) not get pissed off over it. Not until week 8 or so at least...

8. MPbears68

MPbears68 Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +1,730 / 2 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    786ß
    That's the feeling I get too (freely admit it could be totally wrong). But if not, and Emery passes on Donald if available, I'm gonna want to cut Phil's nuts off. That would be massively stupid.

And sorry I don't buy this crap about Ratliff being our full time future 3T. He's 32 years old and has played NT most of his career. Houston has played DE. I don't doubt that both will get substantial reps there but neither is the long term "starter" answer. I love Collins as the backup guy but he's coming off an ACL surgery it's doubtful he can be 100% by early September.

Not getting down on Dix or Pryor both of whom seem like wise choices but the #1 realistic target has to be AD in my opinion.

PS: it sounds like they're happy with Palmer so passing on drafting a QB is fine by me. Cutler is the QB for the next 3 years like it or not barring major injury or meltdown.

9. jackiejokeman

jackiejokeman Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +242 / 2 / -1
    ßearz ßuckz:
    706ß
    JCut always gets hurt. Palmer better be ready.

This season we wont have the Josh McCown factor to fall back on.

Besides drafting a "developmental" QB in the later rounds isnt going to do us anygood this season.

If theres a sixth round Tom Brady out there for us ... lemme know.

10. riczaj01

riczaj01 DaBears Ditka
    DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +4,058 / 10 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    2,315ß
    Again it comes down to what they want from the DT position based on scheme, and who fits that mold, just b/c it's a 4-3 doesn't mean you always want small fast. If they want small fast db pressuring qb then I'd be pissed to, but if they wait and choose a bigger bodied DT down the line then Donald wouldn't have been the best choice regardless.

• Like Like x 2