Emery's Presser just finished I think, does anyone have a transcript link?

Discussion in 'Chicago Bears' started by dabears, Mar 12, 2014.

1. dabears

dabears Rookie

Ratings:
    +26 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    I've heard but can't confirm that Emery is stating we are pretty much done with FA?? That cannot F'ing be!!! If it is I am gonna go nuts. Other than Houston it will go down as an EPIC FAIL if this is true.
    Also, I saw some comments that they were not going to apply the June 1 designator to Pep's cut and just absorb the full cap hit, please don't tell me this is true. And they won't even think about getting more CAP space by converting some of Cutler's salary to a signing bonus.

He seems to think all of our gaping holes are going to be fixed in the draft, please somebody tell me this can't be. I wanna give Emery the benefit of the doubt really I do but this is sounding like an EPIC FAIL of historic proportions.

Emery if any of this is true :2up:

If not I will eat major crow. Can someone verify please??
  2. riczaj01

riczaj01 DaBears Ditka DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +2,468 / 6 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    264ß
    He'll continue to fill holes for depth, but the reality is that the team has to get their starters from the draft when it comes to DB/DL and hope a few mid round guys can transisition from backups to starters next year.

Look for DB or DE at 14, then the opposite in the 2nd, grab a DT in the 3rd and then just go BPA.
  3. BearJim

BearJim Veteran SuperFan DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +141 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    I don't have a transcript but what he said was they were going to be patient. They could sign someone today or next week. That this was only step one & they have a long way to go & a lot of work to do.
  4. BearJim

Ratings:
    +141 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    Yeah, he also said the draft class of DBs was stronger than the FA class of DBs.
  5. dabears

dabears Rookie

Ratings:
    +26 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    Ric, I get that 10000% but we got gaping ass holes right now that can only be filled with FA's. The draft will give you a good foundation but after round 3 the talent level really starts to slide. We can't and won't find another CB, safety, edge rusher, and defensive tackle that will be impact starters from day 1. I would have settled for just one more tier II starter for the D. As it looks it has the possibility of being worse than last year, how the F can that be??
  6. a_miljan

a_miljan Veteran

Ratings:
    +264 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    24ß
    looks like were gonna have crap secondary, again
  7. lklrlolnlilklsox

lklrlolnlilklsox Position Coach

Ratings:
    +276 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    "Epic fail of historic proportions"

I sincerely hope you are 12 for not only use of "epic fail" but the completely non hyperbolic and hilariously myopic use of "historic proportions" as a qualifier to our moves one day into FA.
    • Like Like x 3
    • Winner Winner x 1
  8. dabears

dabears Rookie

Ratings:
    +26 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    BJ, I don't mind the patient approach but he is not doing his due diligence by even trying to go after some of the better FA's. I don't we'll find out but it seems we just whiffed pathetically on Ward and didn't even try. The longer you wait the more talent is off the board, just sayin it's a double edged sword.
  9. dabears

dabears Rookie

Ratings:
    +26 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    :2up:
  10. riczaj01

Ratings:
    +2,468 / 6 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    264ß
    DB, If the team were to go
    Dix/Pryor in the 1st
    Stanley Sean-Baptiste or Roby/another CB in the 2nd
    Then you CAN get guys that can fall into a rotation on the DL, especially at DT.

YOU CAN Get 2 possibly 3 starters out of this draft, normally you cannot but in this draft you can b/c of how deep it is.
  11. Ojibway Bob

Ojibway Bob Veteran SuperFan

Ratings:
    +80 / 0 / -1
    ßearz ßuckz:
    hmmm sounds to me that he is looking forward and thinking of the financial security for 2015 and 2016 possibly looking at Marshalls impending contract talks... But we still need atleast some viable players on board for 2014 unless he has our key FA's locked up and not releasing the details but.......COME ON PHIL!!!!!! we have to start winning soon!!!!! I don't know what else to say, I am trying to see both sides /sigh
    • Like Like x 2
  12. dabears

dabears Rookie

Ratings:
    +26 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    Yeah you are right, rant over. I am hoping they get Dix as he is an absolute stud safety. Still would have liked another splash signing though and not camp fodder. I now even wondering if Conte might be in line to be cut if he does not play well.
  13. Ojibway Bob

Ojibway Bob Veteran SuperFan

Ratings:
    +80 / 0 / -1
    ßearz ßuckz:
    We really need some backside help for our Division, Lions signed Golden Tate
  14. riczaj01

Ratings:
    +2,468 / 6 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    264ß
    I would have too, but that Cutler contract was a straight kick in the cap's nuts.
  15. Bearstuff

Bearstuff Yes, in the woods. Staff Member SuperFan

Ratings:
    +940 / 3 / -2
    ßearz ßuckz:
    247ß
    I agree with Kroniksox. The sky is falling!!! or Supabowl!!!!!!

The truth lies somewhere in between. It's been 25 hours of FA that will last until the first game. The draft is coming. Then UDFA's.

I was very happy with the DJ Williams re-sign. Mundy is an upgrade though not a home run. Senn was an upgrade over Costanzo. Houston could start at either LDE or 3T DT (that is HUGE versatility). MD Jennings can compete w/ Conte. In my mind, that leaves us needing about 3 more pieces to the Defensive starters puzzle......after 24 hours.......with plenty of FA time & a draft laden with defensive talent.

We're fine and I for one appreciate that Emery is doing a FANTASTIC job of getting our salary cap house in order now and for years to come.
    • Like Like x 6
  16. Bearstuff

Bearstuff Yes, in the woods. Staff Member SuperFan

Ratings:
    +940 / 3 / -2
    ßearz ßuckz:
    247ß
    Potential impact FA's still available

DT-Jason Hatcher
    CB-Rodgers-Cromartie, Tillman, Munnerlynn, Cromartie, Tarell Brown, Corey Graham
    DE-Jared Allen, Raji, Mike Neal

I would play Raji at DT.
  17. Chicagoan

Chicagoan Hall of Famer

Ratings:
    +352 / 1 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:

Corey Graham signed with the Bills
    • Like Like x 1
  18. BearJim

Ratings:
    +141 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    I agree with ya DB as I expected more myself. I don't think we're done with FA signings though. I expect to see at least 2 more before the draft, maybe more. We just don't know who they will be.
  19. MPbears68

MPbears68 Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +991 / 1 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    25ß
    After the Houston signing its been a pretty unimpressive FA so far by Emery.
  20. riczaj01

Ratings:
    +2,468 / 6 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    264ß
    W/the cap situation there wasn't going to be a lot of impressive signings the first couple days, I really didn't think he'd do anything day 1 other then get a few more of Bear FA's taken care of.