Emery's Presser just finished I think, does anyone have a transcript link?

Discussion in 'Chicago Bears' started by dabears, Mar 12, 2014.

1. yttocs

yttocs Pro-Bowler SuperFan

Ratings:
    +48 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    22ß
    In Emery's presser, he mention about vets salary leveling out and them going to a situation that works, when asked if Peppers could still come back. Once some of the vets figure out they aren't going to get big bucks, the Bears could get a few more fill in ,soild players, not stars.
  2. short faced bear

short faced bear Assistant Head Coach DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +1,195 / 0 / -2
    ßearz ßuckz:
    88ß
    The key thing here is future. Not just this year but like BS said "years to come". Emery still has to grow the team younger, fix the D,and keep the cap down for unexpected situations.

Didn't think we would match the Broncos for FA splash but would like to see us sign a DE and or an offensive player.
    • Like Like x 1
  3. Bearstuff

Bearstuff Yes, in the woods. Staff Member SuperFan

Ratings:
    +1,130 / 3 / -2
    ßearz ßuckz:
    477ß
    The Broncos splash is because they don't think they have more than another year or two to get a championship. They are willing to build the team via FA. More power to them, but just wait, they will be in cap hell soon enough.

Been there, done that, don't want that for the Bears.
    • Like Like x 1
  4. riczaj01

riczaj01 DaBears Ditka DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +2,959 / 8 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    969ß
    Bearstuff, that's 1000x correct. The Bronc's are in a all or nothing year or 2 before they'll have to start over so going spend crazy makes sense. The Bears aren't that close, they aren't a SB contender this year, so why go crazy in FA; especially a rather weak FA?
  5. MPbears68

MPbears68 Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +1,207 / 2 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    248ß
    It was no secret what our needs were going into FA--DL and S being the biggest.

Thus far, at DE we have exchanged one new, younger one for one older one (I like this signing). Since then it hasn't exactly been a hit.

At safety, we desperately needed a front line starter at SS and starter depth at FS. What have we done? We signed one S from NY who maybe just maybe is a small upgrade over Major Wrong and one GB castoff who apparently can't cover an ounce of sand with a beach towel. Mundy is nothing special and MD Jennings totally blows. Packers fans laughed at us signing their trash.

I didn't expect us to get Byrd who signed for huge money. But Ward and Whitner were substantially cheaper and Mitchell would have been a solid consolation prize. Strike one, strike two, strike three.

Yeah, I am pretty underwhelmed by Emery thus far this FA season. And don't tell me it's all cap-related. There is room, and ways reasonably to make more room, to do better than this. As it stands now we are going into the draft half-naked.
  6. dabears

dabears Veteran

Ratings:
    +26 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    MPB, this is what I whined about but anyway water under the bridge. The only reasoning I take away is that Emery is convinced he is going to hit a home run in the draft and the front 7 will exert enough pressure to negate the negative quality at safety. And if Peanut comes back at a reasonable price the corners for this season at least are decent. I can't think of any other reason why he whiffed on the safeties.
  7. riczaj01

Ratings:
    +2,959 / 8 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    969ß
    MP, front line starter at S w/still the draft? Dix. Still need a DE, Kareem Martin in the 2-4th, DT, Anthony Johnson 3-4th, need to backfill the SS position w/depth, a get one after Dix/Martin/Johnson, there are A TON of backup high ceiling guys in the draft.
    • Like Like x 1
  8. MPbears68

MPbears68 Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +1,207 / 2 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    248ß
    Emery apparently didn't make much of a play for Whitner or Ward and missed on Mitchell who seemed to be his likely primary target. Then he went dumpster diving a la JA. Came up us with one so-so guy and one trash signing.

My conclusion? Either A) he has a lot of confidence in himself for the draft (very risky, you don't know how it is going to go and there's always surprises), B) he was basically throwing in the towel on the D being much improved this year, or C) he just plain didn't do a very good job in FA.
    Last edited: Mar 13, 2014
  9. sluggobear

sluggobear Veteran

Ratings:
    +51 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    33ß
    I thought Emery said after we sign two more free agents the draft will be clearer to people. He wanted to wait until the market dropped some in price.
  10. MPbears68

MPbears68 Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +1,207 / 2 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    248ß
    Ric, aren't you a guy who always says "fill holes in FA so you have flexibility in the draft to go bpa and aren't locked into chasing a position?"

Lets say Ha-Ha really is this secondary savior you're convinced he is. How do you know he's gonna be there at 14? Or after a trade down? You don't. He could go ahead of projections. Rolling the dice there going into the draft with a gaping hole that every GM in the NFL knows you gotta fill right away. If this guy really is Eric Berry ver 2.0 then he could go before we get on the clock.
  11. MPbears68

MPbears68 Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +1,207 / 2 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    248ß
    I'm all for getting "value" whenever possible. I'm not for signing trash at a position of great need when you had better options out there you whiffed on.
  12. VJ18

VJ18 Veteran

Ratings:
    +79 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    16ß
    I'll give a shot to Raji as well, he would be a like a Wilfork type of guy that would get double teamed allowing our DE's give more pressure. If we can get Tillman too I'll be happy walking into the draft a bit more
  13. VJ18

VJ18 Veteran

Ratings:
    +79 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    16ß
    Not really when Peyton retires that will be 22 million back in their pockets, then the can cut Ware and a few others that will be on the decline by then and will be making the cuts look justified
  14. Bearstuff

Bearstuff Yes, in the woods. Staff Member SuperFan

Ratings:
    +1,130 / 3 / -2
    ßearz ßuckz:
    477ß
    Except for the whole signing bonus thing.......which is on each one of these deals they are doing (not just Mannings from a couple years back). Cap hell. Trying to squeeze through a window.
  15. butkus3595

butkus3595 Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +565 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    269ß
    Can someone tell me...has free agency ended? I'm not sure? I understand some of your angst, as I would have loved to have Ward in a Bears uni, but he went to Denver and signed a pretty friendly deal there as well. Ever think maybe thats really where he wants to be?
    • Like Like x 1
  16. riczaj01

Ratings:
    +2,959 / 8 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    969ß
    Wards first and last stop was Den, anyone else think he wanted a shot at a SB and felt Den was the best place for that? IE ward wasn't coming to Chicago, and there's a good chance Revis and neither was Byrd, Den/NE/NO's all are closer to a title then the Bears were, and the Bears were in no position to out pay any of those teams.
    • Like Like x 1
  17. butkus3595

butkus3595 Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +565 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    269ß
    Ric, we're agreeing way too much lately.:cheers:
  18. JustAnotherBearsFan99

JustAnotherBearsFan99 Coordinator SuperFan DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +2,353 / 3 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    745ß
    Some random thoughts. I'm not being critical here, but I think some of us view player acquisition as simply making a big splash with a top tier FA or two. Teams will continue to shed some decent players after the draft, and even throughout training camp. These won't be top tier talent, but some (some) will be players that might help our team get better. Emery has to look at player acquisition in a wide scope view of a 53 man roster. He has to move the money around to prepare the whole team for a grueling season where players WILL drop like flies to injuries. This is reality in the NFL now. No team escapes having to have decent depth players - in addition to the studs. I expect us to meet some key needs in the draft, but also to pick up some very valuable players between now and the start of the regular season. I guess my point is that this isn't over. We'll still sign some important players (even some of our own could be re-signed at some point). It's a process. A long one for those like Emery who are thoughtful about it.
    • Like Like x 2
  19. MPbears68

MPbears68 Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +1,207 / 2 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    248ß
    I will say it appears that Emery made a solid move in acquiring Young so that we now have two plausible DE starters on the roster before the draft. The most obvious holes we have remaining are DT & CB. Secondarily I'll say S is a lesser need, assuming Mundy is the starter at SS and Conte/Jennings at FS (a possible leap there).

I doubt Melton is coming back and I doubt Emery really wants him back all that much. There are high-ceiling DT options available in the 1st who could easily replace him as a front line player and don't carry his injury risk. At CB, Tillman and a few other vets are out there who can start while we groom a replacement from the 2nd round (CB is deep in this draft as Phil said). I'm still holding out hope that Peanut will come back on reasonable 2yr deal. If that happens, I'd say we are pretty good shape going into the draft. Emery will be able to pick up depth guys like Bowman and Wootton on the cheap later on if need be.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  20. dachuckster

dachuckster Veteran SuperFan

Ratings:
    +317 / 1 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    150ß
    We'll have to wait and see about Melton. If he doesn't get an offer in the next few days from Minnesota or Dallas, he could be available basically on our terms. It's a big if ... but stranger things have happened.