Emery's Presser just finished I think, does anyone have a transcript link?

Discussion in 'Chicago Bears' started by dabears, Mar 12, 2014.

1. yttocs

yttocs Pro-Bowler
    SuperFan

ßearz ßuckz:
    157ß
    Please Register or Log in to Remove this Advertisement!
    In Emery's presser, he mention about vets salary leveling out and them going to a situation that works, when asked if Peppers could still come back. Once some of the vets figure out they aren't going to get big bucks, the Bears could get a few more fill in ,soild players, not stars.

2. short faced bear

short faced bear Assistant Head Coach
    DBS Writer

ßearz ßuckz:
    834ß
    The key thing here is future. Not just this year but like BS said "years to come". Emery still has to grow the team younger, fix the D,and keep the cap down for unexpected situations.

Didn't think we would match the Broncos for FA splash but would like to see us sign a DE and or an offensive player.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Bearstuff

Bearstuff Yes, in the woods.
    Staff Member SuperFan

ßearz ßuckz:
    810ß
    The Broncos splash is because they don't think they have more than another year or two to get a championship. They are willing to build the team via FA. More power to them, but just wait, they will be in cap hell soon enough.

Been there, done that, don't want that for the Bears.

• Like Like x 1
  4. riczaj01

riczaj01 DaBears Ditka
    SuperFan DBS Writer

ßearz ßuckz:
    3,878ß
    Bearstuff, that's 1000x correct. The Bronc's are in a all or nothing year or 2 before they'll have to start over so going spend crazy makes sense. The Bears aren't that close, they aren't a SB contender this year, so why go crazy in FA; especially a rather weak FA?

5. MPbears68

MPbears68 Hall of Famer

ßearz ßuckz:
    1,336ß
    It was no secret what our needs were going into FA--DL and S being the biggest.

Thus far, at DE we have exchanged one new, younger one for one older one (I like this signing). Since then it hasn't exactly been a hit.

At safety, we desperately needed a front line starter at SS and starter depth at FS. What have we done? We signed one S from NY who maybe just maybe is a small upgrade over Major Wrong and one GB castoff who apparently can't cover an ounce of sand with a beach towel. Mundy is nothing special and MD Jennings totally blows. Packers fans laughed at us signing their trash.

I didn't expect us to get Byrd who signed for huge money. But Ward and Whitner were substantially cheaper and Mitchell would have been a solid consolation prize. Strike one, strike two, strike three.

Yeah, I am pretty underwhelmed by Emery thus far this FA season. And don't tell me it's all cap-related. There is room, and ways reasonably to make more room, to do better than this. As it stands now we are going into the draft half-naked.

6. dabears

dabears Veteran

ßearz ßuckz:
    71ß
    MPB, this is what I whined about but anyway water under the bridge. The only reasoning I take away is that Emery is convinced he is going to hit a home run in the draft and the front 7 will exert enough pressure to negate the negative quality at safety. And if Peanut comes back at a reasonable price the corners for this season at least are decent. I can't think of any other reason why he whiffed on the safeties.

7. riczaj01

riczaj01 DaBears Ditka
    SuperFan DBS Writer

ßearz ßuckz:
    3,878ß
    MP, front line starter at S w/still the draft? Dix. Still need a DE, Kareem Martin in the 2-4th, DT, Anthony Johnson 3-4th, need to backfill the SS position w/depth, a get one after Dix/Martin/Johnson, there are A TON of backup high ceiling guys in the draft.

• Like Like x 1
  8. MPbears68

MPbears68 Hall of Famer

ßearz ßuckz:
    1,336ß
    Emery apparently didn't make much of a play for Whitner or Ward and missed on Mitchell who seemed to be his likely primary target. Then he went dumpster diving a la JA. Came up us with one so-so guy and one trash signing.

My conclusion? Either A) he has a lot of confidence in himself for the draft (very risky, you don't know how it is going to go and there's always surprises), B) he was basically throwing in the towel on the D being much improved this year, or C) he just plain didn't do a very good job in FA.

#28 MPbears68, Mar 13, 2014
    Last edited: Mar 13, 2014
  9. sluggobear

sluggobear Veteran

ßearz ßuckz:
    245ß
    I thought Emery said after we sign two more free agents the draft will be clearer to people. He wanted to wait until the market dropped some in price.

10. MPbears68

MPbears68 Hall of Famer

ßearz ßuckz:
    1,336ß
    Ric, aren't you a guy who always says "fill holes in FA so you have flexibility in the draft to go bpa and aren't locked into chasing a position?"

Lets say Ha-Ha really is this secondary savior you're convinced he is. How do you know he's gonna be there at 14? Or after a trade down? You don't. He could go ahead of projections. Rolling the dice there going into the draft with a gaping hole that every GM in the NFL knows you gotta fill right away. If this guy really is Eric Berry ver 2.0 then he could go before we get on the clock.