Eric Weems to be cut

Discussion in 'Chicago Bears' started by The Benjamin, Mar 20, 2014.

1. billatter

billatter Veteran

Ratings:
    +186 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    46ß
    Yup, it's just a shame that with the change in kickoff position there'll be less opportunity for him to show it. Very fast, elusive, great instincts, doesn't cough up the ball very often. He's also durable as in the CFL, returners see way more action than in the NFL, plus he was playing WR at the same time. He was on the field a lot. His cardio won't be a problem. ;)

Hey O Bob, yup I'm not far from Hamilton and looking forward to the new stadium.
    • Like Like x 1
  2. Ojibway Bob

Ojibway Bob Veteran SuperFan

Ratings:
    +94 / 0 / -1
    ßearz ßuckz:
    45ß
    Hopefully he will be able to hold the NFL sized ball good....Ya gotta wonder how much that will mess with him going from CFL to NFL sized ball
  3. soulman

soulman Pro-Bowler SuperFan DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +1,682 / 2 / -2
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,152ß
    Well that appears to have been the plan all along and I guess that's pretty common when a new GM takes over. I can't say that I agree with all of his moves, (and I think I've subtlety hinted at that a few times:bah:) but for the most part he's shooing out the players he can't justify spending cap space on for how little the team gets out of them and at least getting very proactive about upgrading all three levels of the roster. How well that works remains to be seen.

There's a couple of things I've noticed about him and they both center around his need to assure himself of having what's needed to win consistently. One is that he's not very comfortable with an unproven #2 QB which tells me he'll be looking at a few more vets soon. I think he'll want at least one more vet and a rookie in camp competing for the backup and developmental spots. The other is that he will never again assume he can depend on inexperienced rookies to replace vet starters in the event of injuries. One disaster was enough to cure him of that habit.

Look at the vet DEs he signed. You know that between Lane, Scott and Izzy all three of them won't make the final cut. Not when he also has Bass, Washington, Robertson and Ozougwu plus his two starters, Young and Houston. I think he'll add another two or three DTs in the draft and maybe another vet FA before camp and he still needs a dependable CB to play behind Tillman and Jennings that he can get cheap. I expect to see him constantly sifting through the waiver wire seeing whose out there so even though some of these guys have been signed I still expect a few may not even make it to camp if he finds a better prospect.

I'll go along with his approach so far mainly because he has no more get out of jail free cards with me as far as his risky personnel decisions are concerned. He needs to go about this "getting younger" thing in steps blending the youth with the vets if he expects to compete. If he has to tear down that defense and rebuild through the draft it's gonna be a long cold couple of winters coming up.
    • Like Like x 1
  4. soulman

Ratings:
    +1,682 / 2 / -2
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,152ß
    To me Williams seems like a Dexter McCluster type as far as his size and skills go. On offense if they can use him in the way always thought they should have done with Hester then maybe this kid can do what wasn't done before. I see a guy who may be of more use in a short passing game where you get him the ball in space and let his feet gain extra yardage or break big plays.

I haven't see him play so I have no idea how well he adjusts to the ball in flight on deep throws but Hester was never able to master that and Cutler expects it. He likes to make those back shoulder throws and have guys with height and long arms go up and pluck that ball and both Marshall and Jeffery are great at that. But, if the kid can flat out beat his guy one on one we could use a fast WR to threaten with too.

As far as KOR/PR goes he has some big shoes to fill and it looks like if those pussies in NY get there way KOR will some become extinct so he'll need to bone up on his PR stuff to even come close to Hester. Bill it's good have your eyes and input relative to these CFL guys and I imagine we'll be seeing a few more of them as time goes by.
  5. BearJim

BearJim Veteran SuperFan DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +146 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    14ß
    Thanks Bill
  6. billatter

billatter Veteran

Ratings:
    +186 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    46ß
    Hey Soul, about the deep routes, I think this one sums it up. Under thrown ball going about 50 yards, defender in his grill as a consequence, ball thrown to the defender's side and he comes up with it.

7. jackiejokeman

jackiejokeman Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +184 / 2 / -1
    ßearz ßuckz:
    268ß
    Now Soulman ...
  8. soulman

Ratings:
    +1,682 / 2 / -2
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,152ß
    I was just looking at the title Benji laid on this thread; "Weems to be Cut".

In certain parts of my town that would be taken as a very ominous warning to lay low for a bit or to gather your "homies" for protection. LOL
  9. Akuma2000

Akuma2000 Veteran SuperFan

Ratings:
    +160 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    32ß
    They definitely will JAB, its amazing how Emery repaired the offense in one offseason and draft and I believe he can do the same for the defense this year.
  10. Akuma2000

Akuma2000 Veteran SuperFan

Ratings:
    +160 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    32ß
    Its cool to see to the Bears finally having a tall WR group, opposing defenses will have to pick their poison on who to double team etc.....
  11. soulman

Ratings:
    +1,682 / 2 / -2
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,152ß
    Yep, Marshall/6'4", Jeffery/6'3", Wilson/6'4", Hixon/6'2", Bennett/6'6" and even Joe Anderson if he sticks is 6'1". Cutler wanted taller guys so now he has them in spades. Emery seems to be pretty good at finding the exact type of player needed. Then it becomes "you got your guys now go win games".

I assume Tucker asked for better edge defenders who could play the run well and give some pass rush and that's what he got. Two top 5 run defending DEs. Then he got him two good DTs back, a SS, and his MLB so with the draft adding a couple more I think Mr. Disaster is gonna be on a very short leash this year. If that defense is el stinko from the start they now have Pasqualoni who has experience as both a pro DC and a college HC so he could always replace Tucker if it came to that. I don't think Phil will stand idly by and watch that defense kill their playoff chances two years in a row.
  12. JustAnotherBearsFan99

JustAnotherBearsFan99 Coordinator SuperFan DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +2,064 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    324ß
    To be fair, it took Emery two years to upgrade the offense, and he still has some things to fine tune there in this third year of his efforts (remember, B.Marsh and AJ came in that first year of Emery being here). Yes, it is 90% "there" now, but he's not quite finished. Hopefully, this third year here, Emery will put the icing on the cake - for the offense.

The defense will get most of Emery's attention this first year of the rebuilding effort on defense. It should improve a lot this year, but honestly, how much improvement is seen there remains to be seen. Of course we're hopeful for the best, but hope alone doesn't make it so. Realistically, I expect the D to take a big step this year if Mel Tucker can coach. But it will be 2015 (the second year of the D rebuild effort) where the defense looks as good as the offense did in its second year under Emery.

That's how I see it.
  13. MPbears68

MPbears68 Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +1,033 / 1 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    64ß
    FWIW, you forgot Tolliver and Fendi who both go around 6'5" assuming they pan out as depth players.
  14. jackiejokeman

jackiejokeman Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +184 / 2 / -1
    ßearz ßuckz:
    268ß
    Thats the key ... depth players.
  15. soulman

Ratings:
    +1,682 / 2 / -2
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,152ß
    True, I have them far enough down on the depth chart that I don't know if either will ever see the field in the regular season. Anyway the midgets are all gone now proving once again Martz didn't have a clue when he said height didn't matter. To him maybe, but to his QB it's made all the difference in the world. One more reason Martz was nothing more than a pompous ass.
  16. MPbears68

MPbears68 Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +1,033 / 1 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    64ß
    Please don't remind me of Martz lol. The guy who thought that 7-step drops with a shit OL were a good idea? Or who didn't know how to use the best receiver we had (Olsen) because he didn't like TEs to catch the ball? Bad bad memories there....
    :3_8_14[1]:
  17. soulman

Ratings:
    +1,682 / 2 / -2
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,152ß
    True.........:badmood:
  18. abegibronlives

abegibronlives Rookie

Ratings:
    +28 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:

Never liked this guy. When he was with the falcons, I thought he whined too much to the referees, and acted like he thought he was God's gift to football. Decent return guy, but someone we can live without. Good riddance.