ESPN Camp Confidential: Bears

Discussion in 'Chicago Bears' started by riczaj01, Aug 4, 2013.

1. MPbears68

MPbears68

Ratings:
    +837 / 1 / -0
    No one I know has said Cutler is "elite", Ric. He isn't. The best way I can put it is that he has elite talent but has underperformed his "ceiling" due to a variety of factors we have been over a million times (both intrinsic and extrinsic). I don't think he will ever be Rodgers or Brady but I do think he has a legit shot at being a "sub-elite" QB like Eli or Flacco that can win the show with the help of a very good D.

We keep beating the draft thing to death. Lets say it again: this draft sucked for QB talent and frankly we didn't have the picks to take anyone worth taking.

Manuel--1st round way before us, huge reach by a desperate team
    Smith--2nd round before us, I'm unimpressed and wouldn't have taken him even at 50
    Barkley--4th round before us, decent value there as a WCO prospect but weak arm

We didn't have a 3rd. There was no one past Barkley that was worth a damn. We also had other fish to fry. We certainly needed OL and LB help badly. I am confident that Emery-Trestman want a QB to develop and would have strongly considered drafting one if the circumstances had been more favorable. They weren't. Anyone we had a shot at past Barkley would very likely have been a Enderle-like wasted draft pick who prob wouldn't have beat out Blanchard. I'd rather have guys like Mills, Washington, and Wilson who have enough upside to contribute in a year or two.

The 2014 draft class is preliminarily shaping up to be a very strong one for QBs and we have a full complement of picks + an extra 6th. I'm all for a 2nd-3rd round QB draft pick then since I'm guessing we will likely go CB in the 1st.
  2. Bearstuff

Bearstuff Yes, in the woods. Staff Member

Ratings:
    +598 / 2 / -1
    So then what you are saying is he is bad enough that getting a QB trumped our need for OL, LB, etc. It's the decision in a vacuum that is confounding. We don't live in vacuums. We get you don't like Cutler either, at least I thought you weren't blindly so. You don't cheer for Cutler's demise, do you?
  3. riczaj01

riczaj01

Ratings:
    +1,798 / 5 / -4
    no i agree no way the bears can take a qb w/6 picks, it's why it was so important for them to find a way to trade back. I hope your right on next year though b/c I'm not sold on Blanchard and if I see McCown on this team next year I might well have an aneurysm.
  4. Bearsinhouston

Bearsinhouston

Ratings:
    +739 / 2 / -0

I would not be surprised or disappointed with a DE or DT in the first if it was the right guy. We are short on both. CB is a need and OL is still a need. We are not exactly flush with talent at this point and we are thin in other positions. We still have a year or two to go to right the ship and who knows what will happen with all the one year contracts. Could get much uglier before it gets better.
  5. riczaj01

riczaj01

Ratings:
    +1,798 / 5 / -4
    BiH,

Would be a lot less of an issue if Emery didn't reach in the 1st the last two years.

DeCastro and Rhodes or Floyd would look pretty damn sick right now compared to what we currently have.

And all of a sudden you have less of an issue in what you just described.
  6. Bearsinhouston

Bearsinhouston

Ratings:
    +739 / 2 / -0

Well, a rear view mirror is a hell of a drafting aid. Don't know of any GMs that have one of those. I did not expect much out of Frey. He looks like he could be a keeper. Jeffrey is looking good. I don't like the Carimi decision - especially based on what talent we had in house. The Shea decision I am holding off on because it has only been a year. I think he will be solid but that may be all, and we needed more than solid expecially with the clock ticking on Peppers. So I agree with you, but I think think that he makes great FA decisions and better draft decisions than JA. Am I completely happy with everything he has done? No. But I like where we are going even though I think better decisions would have gotten us there quicker.

In general I like him but don't love him. I am happy we have him though. I do think he is an upgrade and also don't know how many would be significantly better. I would probably have issues with something that any GM did. No two people are going to be in complete lockstep.
  7. MPbears68

MPbears68

Ratings:
    +837 / 1 / -0
    Again, trading back, even if there were a QB worthy of snagging that way (there wasn't), requires a trading partner. You have no idea of whether or not Emery wanted/tried to trade back. He indicated pre-draft quite clearly that he "was open for business" (how clear a signal can you send?) so it stands to reason that he would have traded back if a decent deal was on the table. Apparently, there was no deal to be had.
  8. riczaj01

riczaj01

Ratings:
    +1,798 / 5 / -4
    Emery wanted to, by all reports and his own words, they just didn't get what they wanted.
  9. Bearsinhouston

Bearsinhouston

Ratings:
    +739 / 2 / -0
    Yeah, I think that was the plan. What I am really excited about is seeing what they do with Blanchard next year. If they move him to #2, then they think they have something. If they don't then I guess he may not be they guy, but I disagree with you about him. I like the guy.
  10. riczaj01

riczaj01

Ratings:
    +1,798 / 5 / -4
    Well I like him more then McCown ;p
  11. MPbears68

MPbears68

Ratings:
    +837 / 1 / -0
    Obviously not. So why complain about it then?
    Would you have rather had Emery take a bad deal over no deal?
  12. Xa0sG0rilla

Xa0sG0rilla

Ratings:
    +55 / 0 / -0
    In rics' defense, he has been critical of Emerys' drafting process since the 1st round of Emerys' first draft. That being said, DeCastro missed 9 games in his first season with an injury, so I'm inclined to believe that the jury is still out on that one.
  13. lazar

lazar

Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -0
    Anyone who criticizes Emery drafts right now, when you can't really know much and it's way to early is basically saying they are bad becouse he didn't draft players which I liked.
    • Like Like x 1
  14. Mr. Deliverance

Mr. Deliverance Guest

Ratings:
    +109 / 0 / -1
    Hardly a Lovie/Angelo apologist. Just find it a bit ridiculous how Bears fans are talking about Emery as if he has even turned this franchise around. He hasn't accomplished anything. And people need to stop talking like he has.
  15. Mr. Deliverance

Mr. Deliverance Guest

Ratings:
    +109 / 0 / -1
    I mention the Packers because that's really what matters in this debate about whether to dump millions into Cutler. Cutler has been around for 4 years. There is no mystery to this guy's game. He can't beat the Packers. He plays very poorly against them and then we as Bears fans want to talk all this trash about how the Packers suck....yada yada yada. I've seen enough of his play so far to NOT be optimistic about our chances this season with a tougher schedule on hand.

I hope for the best for the Bears when we actually have a guy under C that can play. I almost feel like we're back under the Grossman years. Every Bears fan knew by midseason in '06 that Grossman could not handle pressure and that he was not the QB to go any further with. Well we're seeing a lot of the same symptoms with Cutler. Plays poorly under pressure and doesn't show up against good opponents. Gets embarrassed by our top divisional opponent. And Bears fans can't trip over themselves fast enough to give Cutler every excuse in the book as to why he plays poorly. There is no accountability for this guy. And it will not shock me one bit when Cutler bombs against the Pack and all the good teams on the schedule. And the excuses for those losses will keep coming too. lol Its like we got Tebowism infecting a good portion of the Bears fan base.
  16. Mr. Deliverance

Mr. Deliverance Guest

Ratings:
    +109 / 0 / -1
    So what's the purpose of a draft? To bring in players who contribute virtually nothing their first year and may contribute by their 3rd or 4th year? The draft is one of the easiest ways to bridge the competitive balance gap in the offseason. And there are plenty of GMs in the NFL bringing in players that are paying dividends right away. Isn't that what Emery was brought in to do? So yea when the Bears are getting sold on this idea that Emery is a 'genius' and will change the way things were under Angelo...you better believe he's gonna have a shit storm headed his way when his first draft is full of gimps and duds and a guy who doesn't even know how to tackle. Bwahahahah
    • Like Like x 1
  17. MPbears68

MPbears68

Ratings:
    +837 / 1 / -0
    Emery has been on the job a whopping 18 months. One and only one NFL season. And I'd remind you that for that one season he was forced to keep the same failed coaching regime. He's so "new" in GM terms that next month will be the actual first real game the franchise has played with his chosen staff. I'm as impatient for success any any diehard fan, but you sir take it to a brand new level...that's truly "a bit ridiculous".

And Emery has accomplished something. I'll give you two names--Bushrod and Marshall. There's two players who were acquired both in positions of desperate need with 6 pro bowls between them who are young and fit enough to have years of good tread left on their tires. If that is so simple as to not count as an accomplishment, then tell me why the prior regime couldn't find a real LT or a true marquee WR for years if their lives depended on it?
    • Like Like x 1
  18. MPbears68

MPbears68

Ratings:
    +837 / 1 / -0
    There hasn't been a GM born who hits on every draft pick. Not even every 1st round draft pick. It takes multiple drafts and often several years after each to get idea of how good or bad a GM is as a draft manager. Speaking of the Packers who are a "good team" that drafts well...

Bulaga: 1st round LT-flop, benched, then moved to RT, then re-tried at LT, now out for the year in TC with an ACL tear
    Sherrod: 1st round OT pick right after Carimi, repeatedly injured and unable to crack the lineup on a shit OL, BUST
    Perry: 1st round LB/DE, played only 6 games last year, IR'd
    Lacy: 2nd round RB pick this year, came into camp fat and out of shape, bust-in-the-making?

Shit happens...
  19. zelezo vlk

zelezo vlk

Ratings:
    +22 / 0 / -0
    Sucks for Rodgers...nah. I'm looking forward to seeing the Bears D-Line tear up the Pack's O-Line assuming no more injuries to either side. I'm not sadistic; I don't want Aaron Rodgers to get injured...because if he did, then he would stop getting sacked by Pep.
  20. lazar

lazar

Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -0
    So you hope for the best for the Bears when they have a qb that you like, is that the fan you are? I mean you said it yourself, you can't wait for him to flop. So you will be watching the games and cheering for Bears to suck so that Cutler can go. Do you realise how pathetic that sounds? Were not back to Grossman years becouse he was given a chance unlike Cutler. Look at the sack and pressure numbers in superbowl year, and remember like I said in another post that Rex was basically imobile then and was playing scared... he was shellshocked. And yes, it will not shock me either if he bombs against Packers and all the good teams, but it will not shock me if he doesn't also. If he doeesn't play significantly better this season excuses will not keep coming becouse there are no reason for them. But until now there was a reason, and it's not really excuses, it's a matter of fact that talent was very low on offensive side of the ball. The question is: why don't you allow that a possibility exist that he will actually play better with the upgrade in talent? and what will you say if it happens?