ESPN Camp Confidential: Bears

Discussion in 'Chicago Bears' started by riczaj01, Aug 4, 2013.

1. JPosh2012

JPosh2012 Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +86 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    Please Register or Log in to Remove this Advertisement!
    I still think that Lovie told Phil what to draft in 2012.

2. MPbears68

MPbears68 Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +1,755 / 2 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    823ß
    JP,

I kinda do too. Lets not forget that Emery was brand new on the job then (only there 2 months or so) and he didn't have his scouting personnel in yet. That happened this year. Pretty much had to rely on the existing staff including Lovie and JA's old leftover scouting team. So I think it's a distinct possibility that Emery got snookered a bit even though that doesn't excuse him fully.

And, yes, with the benefit of hindsight Chandler Jones was the better pick as a traditional 4-3 DE.

3. short faced bear

short faced bear Assistant Head Coach
    DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +1,558 / 0 / -3
    ßearz ßuckz:
    713ß
    Agree 100%. Shea's development depends on a specific hybrid/rover type D. As of right now he's not a hand in the dirt 3 down player stuffing the run and defeating blocks as the starters did last season. Add in the brittleness of Wooton and the age of Pep and Izzy when he was here it makes the pick even more baffling. I would have felt better if they picked DeCastro or Zeitler. It seemed the Shea pick was meant to flummox Green Bay more than providing an impact to a 4-3 defense.

There's a difference between a risk and a gamble. With a risk you can recover but with gambles you cannot. Emery can't keep rolling the dice even if he is indeed the smartest guy in the room.

• Like Like x 1
  4. MPbears68

MPbears68 Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +1,755 / 2 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    823ß
    Lets also be honest about this past draft class. It was ok in the middle but pretty weak at the top (1st round+) outside of OL and CB. The "wow factor" positions were thin. The QBs sucked. The WRs and RBs were nothing special. And the DLs/passrushers drafted early had shallow college resumes with one-year-only production in most cases. Once you got past the huge run of OLs in the first 10-12, there weren't many must-have options left. Lots of teams prob would have been happy to trade back and grab an extra pick in the 3rd-4th. I doubt Phil's phone was ringing off the hook that night with requests to trade up.

5. riczaj01

riczaj01 DaBears Ditka
    DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +4,140 / 10 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    2,494ß
    JP to be honest, I hadn't heard much of C Jones, so I didn't know much about him, I can tell you his size is much more prototypical DE though, so I would have been better w/it then Shea. And compared to how the two played on the field this past year I wouldn't be complaining about Jones now. Chances are we wouldn't be complaining about Izzy either b/c Jones would be the unquestioned starter and Wootton, healthy or inj'd wouldn't be a major factor.

I'd still complain that they didn't go after DeCastro b/c of just how flat bad the OL has been. I'm a firm believer that good teams draft the highest rated player on the board for one of their need positions, and not reach for one need over the other. I'm also not a fan drafting guys strictly on their athletism, it's something JA did and it failed more often then not...and it seems Emery likes to do the same thing.

6. Bearstuff

Bearstuff Yes, in the woods.
    Staff Member SuperFan

Ratings:
    +1,338 / 3 / -3
    ßearz ßuckz:
    734ß
    I'll also point out that the following QB's have SB rings, despite a skillset and mindset inferior to Jay:
    Trent Dilfer
    Brad Johnson
    Jeff Hostetler
    Doug Williams
    Mark Rypien
    Arguably: Jim Plunkett, Joe Theismann, Jim McMahon

Are they the "rule"? No, they are the exception (16%). Still, they prove that TEAMS win championships, not solely QB's.

You can waste a year of your life hoping for Bear failure to prove your point if you want. I, on the other hand, will hope for the best, all while recognizing that our QB needs help for the team to be successful. If Rex Grossman can get us within 30 minutes of a championship, Jay Cutler can at least give us a shot. If that doesn't happen, so be it, but I won't have wasted a year rooting against my favorite team so that I can stand tall and tell my internet friends "I told you so". At least I will get some joy out of the year.

7. JPosh2012

JPosh2012 Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +86 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    I liked Chandler Jones a lot when he was in College and I was hoping the Bears would have taken him. I am still not a fan of the Shea pick and likely won't be unless he has a breakout year. I still say moving him to LB is our best bet.

I agree 100% about the fact that they should have gone for DeCastro but we need to remember that dumb and dumber (Lovie and Tice) claimed that the O-Line was okay but sadly Phil fell for it and we all saw what happened.

Agreed!

8. riczaj01

riczaj01 DaBears Ditka
    DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +4,140 / 10 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    2,494ß
    No, I know that Lovie/Tice had a large say in this draft, but even given that the primary reason teams wanted Shea was for his speed as a OLB in a 3-4, which the team was not running....in that aspect Jones probably would have been better. That pick stunk of the Rex pick when "supposedly" GB was real high on him so the Bears grabbed him instead. Chicago needs to stop reacting to what GB is looking at doing, and do what's best for Chicago.

I still think Shea can be a good player, in a hybrid system or as a rover, but as a DE he's just not big/strong enough...he tried to add weight this offseason and he was then to slow so he had to lose that weight....so he's never going to be strong enough to just Bull a OT, and he's to small, even for his speed, to just rush by one either....so in this case, no matter what the Shea pick was a miss since Emery wanted a 3 down DE; now it's just a matter of scavenging that pick into something usefull like OLB.

I agree w/someone that said Greene/Bostic/McClellen sounds nice as future LB's. Now add DJ, Briggs, or Anderson into that mix and you have a hell of a 3-4 LB core.

As for Long, I just would have rather had Rhodes(b/c we need CB depth for next year) or Floyd(b/c of the DL issues now). If both of them had not been there, and it was between guys like Te'O/Eifert then I would have been more okay w/the Long pick even as a reach.

9. JPosh2012

JPosh2012 Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +86 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    Agreed totally. If GB had taken him just think McClellan and Matthews as the OLB's BUT with a good O-Line we would have been able to stop it.

Agreed 100%. I still do think he was a miss but I think if he can an OLB we can somewhat save the pick.

I think that was me who suggested it. The only problem with a 3-4 LB core at the moment is that we have no NT who can play it. Right now the D-Line is built for the 4-3. We have the LB's to go 3-4 but not the D-Line.

I would have gone with Rhodes personally because then you could let Jennings or Tillman walk in FA and already have a replacement.

10. riczaj01

riczaj01 DaBears Ditka
    DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +4,140 / 10 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    2,494ß
    Oh I know we are not set at DL for the 3-4 or a hybrid, but everything else is set, I think they might well try and draft one next year though.

That was my thought process also, if they sign Cutler they are going to have a hard time resigning both Tillman and Jennings, and Rhodes then steps into the one that is let go.

• Like Like x 1