ESPN: Extra points expendable? Think again. (Maybe the expendable one is Goodell)

Discussion in 'Chicago Bears' started by JustAnotherBearsFan99, Jan 24, 2014.

1. JustAnotherBearsFan99

JustAnotherBearsFan99 Coordinator SuperFan DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +2,443 / 3 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    882ß
    Good read. I loved this part:

"Back up the kick 5 yards if you want. Narrow the uprights. Heck, blindfold the kickers, I don't care.

But let's not put the game's real issues on the back burner and then use one season's worth of stats to justify eliminating a highly specialized part of the game that has worked for a century or so without complaints or objections until Goodell opened his mouth.

Or, how about this: If extra points are so simple and routine, Goodell can get rid of them right after he makes nine out of 10 himself.

He'll have to do it outside, of course, in the wind and snow and freezing cold. And, for good measure and added authenticity, let's put the Lions' defensive front on the field, featuring Ndamukong Suh .

"I think he should try it," Carney says. "Just make sure the commissioner knows he only has 1.3 seconds to get the kick off."

Automatic, right commish?"

2. short faced bear

short faced bear Assistant Head Coach DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +1,198 / 0 / -2
    ßearz ßuckz:
    101ß
    I can remember when a blocked EP would determine a game. I don't think it's rocket science- just move the EP back. Although I like the idea of the 2 point make/miss/lose I think that just fuels the fire to drastically change the game even more-which I really don't wish to see.
  3. riczaj01

riczaj01 DaBears Ditka DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +3,076 / 9 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,151ß
    game has been changed drastically for 100 years now; but again the loss of the xp is a bridge to far; don't move it back 5yrds, move it back 10-20 yds. These guys are starting to drill it from 50-60 on fg attempts, another 5 isn't going to change anything. I also like the idea of moving the goal posts in.
  4. Seqq34

Seqq34 Veteran

Ratings:
    +64 / 1 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    29ß
    [​IMG]

That's my rough scale(LMAO) idea of what they should do if they are going to change anything....Doesn't have to be the same size or color as original posts to help from obscuring fan views more. Just put on extensions that narrow and deepen the posts.
    • Like Like x 2
  5. JustAnotherBearsFan99

Ratings:
    +2,443 / 3 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    882ß
    I agree, so all they have to do is decide what conversion percentage they want in order to please Goodell, and research the data to see what kick-distance provides that percentage of success - and kick extra points from that distance. It seems so easy. To eliminate it entirely seems a bit drastic to me - and unnecessary. With so many critically imporant issues that really DO need addressing in the NFL, to focus on something like this seems like Roger-the-Dodger Goodell is making a non-issue into a distraction from some of the things the league SHOULD be addressing.

Or maybe the guy just has too much time on his hands & is thinking up weird stuff.

[​IMG]
  6. riczaj01

Ratings:
    +3,076 / 9 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,151ß
    but that's not what he wants, he wants a quicker game, he just doesn't want to say it.
  7. JustAnotherBearsFan99

Ratings:
    +2,443 / 3 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    882ß
    That may be the real reason. I assumed the guy was being honest with us, but certainly he may be hiding a different motive.
  8. MPbears68

MPbears68 Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +1,250 / 2 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    290ß
    Why are so many people so upset about the possibility of eliminating the PAT? Is any "strategy" being lost here? Nope. The kick is 99.99% automatic -- heck, kickers are making 50+ yard FGs nowadays with regularity when they used to be rare. During the PAT/commercial break, most fans at the game head to the concessions and most TV viewers use the john. It's a boring, predictable play. I like the idea of doing the 7 pt TD with option of +/- 1 if you "go for two". The PAT would be no loss IMO.
    • Like Like x 1
  9. riczaj01

Ratings:
    +3,076 / 9 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,151ß
    MP I think there is that, the reality there is an uproar b/c of the change but most people do what you just said MP, they walk away from the game during that play; unless it's a 2pt conversion.
  10. MPbears68

MPbears68 Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +1,250 / 2 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    290ß
    The arguments seem to be about the "history" of it. Well, purity aside, the PAT has become a historical anachronism that almost never changes the game since so few are missed nowadays. Said same thing about the American League eliminating pitcher-batting for a DH too. It's usually an automatic out (few pitchers bat more than .150 or so) and a boring play in an already boring game. At least there you could say that the strategy there might be altered a bit with regard to the manager changing pitchers or calling for a sac bunt.

The PAT is dumb and nothing more than an extra minute or two added to the commercial break. Just run a couple more ads then if there's no two point try so you don't have to run them at more awkward "TV timeouts". As far as speeding up the game goes, this is probably minor and the review system should be tweaked to accomplish that. But, even if you hate Goodell (which I don't care either way about him) this is nothing to bitch about and I hope the owners do it. I don't blame any business for trying to constantly refine and improve its product.
  11. billatter

billatter Veteran

Ratings:
    +214 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    81ß
    PAT suggestions: Move it back 15 yards, not automatic anymore, force a 2 point convert (the CFL does this in OT), make the kick be taken opposite from the point where the ball crossed the line (real difficult angles, Rugby), or force the kicking team to field two wideouts away from the O-line. The last one gets interesting as the defenders have the choice of going for blocking the kick as they outnumber the blockers, leaving the receivers open. The kicking team then can go for a fake and score a 2 pt convert, or the D covers the receivers, leaving the kick wide open. Puts the D in a bit of a quandary and makes the PAT worth watching. Just came up with the last idea as I was typing. Maybe the NFL brain trust should try using their imaginations.
    • Like Like x 2
  12. billatter

billatter Veteran

Ratings:
    +214 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    81ß
    Here's another idea: the guy who scores the touchdown has to kick the PAT. Imagine the drama, one point down, last seconds of the SB and the backup WR who scored the TD must kick the PAT to tie and force OT. That'll keep 'em glued to their seats.
    • Like Like x 1
  13. JustAnotherBearsFan99

Ratings:
    +2,443 / 3 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    882ß
    But why not try to improve the product by backing up the kicker and making it more exciting again? I like having a more diverse game rather than simplifying the game. I'm not coming at this as a "purist" but rather from seeing possibilities where they could make the game MORE exciting - not less.
  14. short faced bear

short faced bear Assistant Head Coach DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +1,198 / 0 / -2
    ßearz ßuckz:
    101ß

Good ideas!
  15. 4th and 26

4th and 26 George Halas Staff Member

Ratings:
    +609 / 3 / -6
    ßearz ßuckz:
    332ß
    Go back to leather helmets, the current helmets are more like weapons on the field.
  16. riczaj01

Ratings:
    +3,076 / 9 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,151ß
    oh and as for the title, Goodell has created the #1 US sport, ripped it from MLB's hands and locked it behind the NFL shield, he's created billions for the owners the owners love him b/c he owns the players assotaition when it comes to negotiations, and most of the players are millionaires under his watch, many multi millionaires, you might not like him but he's been nothing but good for the game outside of a few rather large misteps (hiding concussion results), he's not going anywhere until he wants to.
  17. MPbears68

MPbears68 Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +1,250 / 2 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    290ß
    Ok, WHERE would you back the kicker up to to make the play non-automatic and interesting???

And keep in mind that you have to make it difficult enough to be a challenge while still keeping it less difficult that a 2pt conversion attempt.
  18. MPbears68

MPbears68 Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +1,250 / 2 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    290ß
    Agree, Ric. I don't understand why so many people love to hate him. Not saying he's perfect but he's helped make and keep the NFL as the worlds premier and most watched sports league. And frankly the fact that he's waxed DeMaurice Smith in CBA negotiations doesn't exactly bother me.
  19. riczaj01

Ratings:
    +3,076 / 9 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,151ß
    that's why you have to move the posts in, while also moving the k back 5-10 yards. But I agree, the 2 pt conversion success has all but nulled the xp.
  20. billatter

billatter Veteran

Ratings:
    +214 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    81ß
    Since you missed it: PAT suggestions: Move it back 15 yards, not automatic anymore, force a 2 point convert (the CFL does this in OT), make the kick be taken opposite from the point where the ball crossed the line (real difficult angles, Rugby), or force the kicking team to field two wideouts away from the O-line. The last one gets interesting as the defenders have the choice of going for blocking the kick as they outnumber the blockers, leaving the receivers open. The kicking team then can go for a fake and score a 2 pt convert, or the D covers the receivers, leaving the kick wide open. Puts the D in a bit of a quandary and makes the PAT worth watching. Just came up with the last idea as I was typing. Maybe the NFL brain trust should try using their imaginations.