ESPN: Extra points expendable? Think again. (Maybe the expendable one is Goodell)

Discussion in 'Chicago Bears' started by JustAnotherBearsFan99, Jan 24, 2014.

1. billatter

billatter
    Expand Collapse
    Veteran

Please Register or Log in to Remove this Advertisement!
    PAT suggestions: Move it back 15 yards, not automatic anymore, force a 2 point convert (the CFL does this in OT), make the kick be taken opposite from the point where the ball crossed the line (real difficult angles, Rugby), or force the kicking team to field two wideouts away from the O-line. The last one gets interesting as the defenders have the choice of going for blocking the kick as they outnumber the blockers, leaving the receivers open. The kicking team then can go for a fake and score a 2 pt convert, or the D covers the receivers, leaving the kick wide open. Puts the D in a bit of a quandary and makes the PAT worth watching. Just came up with the last idea as I was typing. Maybe the NFL brain trust should try using their imaginations.

• Like Like x 2
  2. billatter

billatter
    Expand Collapse
    Veteran

Here's another idea: the guy who scores the touchdown has to kick the PAT. Imagine the drama, one point down, last seconds of the SB and the backup WR who scored the TD must kick the PAT to tie and force OT. That'll keep 'em glued to their seats.

• Like Like x 1
  3. JustAnotherBearsFan99

JustAnotherBearsFan99
    Expand Collapse
    Assistant Head Coach
    SuperFan DBS Writer

But why not try to improve the product by backing up the kicker and making it more exciting again? I like having a more diverse game rather than simplifying the game. I'm not coming at this as a "purist" but rather from seeing possibilities where they could make the game MORE exciting - not less.

4. short faced bear

short faced bear
    Expand Collapse
    Assistant Head Coach
    DBS Writer

Good ideas!

5. 4th and 26

4th and 26
    Expand Collapse
    George Halas
    Staff Member

Go back to leather helmets, the current helmets are more like weapons on the field.

6. riczaj01

riczaj01
    Expand Collapse
    DaBears Ditka
    SuperFan DBS Writer

oh and as for the title, Goodell has created the #1 US sport, ripped it from MLB's hands and locked it behind the NFL shield, he's created billions for the owners the owners love him b/c he owns the players assotaition when it comes to negotiations, and most of the players are millionaires under his watch, many multi millionaires, you might not like him but he's been nothing but good for the game outside of a few rather large misteps (hiding concussion results), he's not going anywhere until he wants to.

7. MPbears68

MPbears68
    Expand Collapse
    Hall of Famer

Ok, WHERE would you back the kicker up to to make the play non-automatic and interesting???

And keep in mind that you have to make it difficult enough to be a challenge while still keeping it less difficult that a 2pt conversion attempt.

8. MPbears68

MPbears68
    Expand Collapse
    Hall of Famer

Agree, Ric. I don't understand why so many people love to hate him. Not saying he's perfect but he's helped make and keep the NFL as the worlds premier and most watched sports league. And frankly the fact that he's waxed DeMaurice Smith in CBA negotiations doesn't exactly bother me.

9. riczaj01

riczaj01
    Expand Collapse
    DaBears Ditka
    SuperFan DBS Writer

that's why you have to move the posts in, while also moving the k back 5-10 yards. But I agree, the 2 pt conversion success has all but nulled the xp.

10. billatter

billatter
    Expand Collapse
    Veteran

Since you missed it: PAT suggestions: Move it back 15 yards, not automatic anymore, force a 2 point convert (the CFL does this in OT), make the kick be taken opposite from the point where the ball crossed the line (real difficult angles, Rugby), or force the kicking team to field two wideouts away from the O-line. The last one gets interesting as the defenders have the choice of going for blocking the kick as they outnumber the blockers, leaving the receivers open. The kicking team then can go for a fake and score a 2 pt convert, or the D covers the receivers, leaving the kick wide open. Puts the D in a bit of a quandary and makes the PAT worth watching. Just came up with the last idea as I was typing. Maybe the NFL brain trust should try using their imaginations.