ESPN Insider = lunacy

Discussion in 'Chicago Bears' started by Henry Burris, Jan 19, 2014.

1. JustAnotherBearsFan99

JustAnotherBearsFan99 Coordinator SuperFan DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +2,067 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    327ß
    And people here always say it takes years to really judge a draft. In last year's case, I think that is especially true. I'm still hoping we have some pleasant surprises, and the draft ends up a solid one. Heck, maybe even Cornelius Washington will end up a solid guy in the end. DavidL gets bragging rights if it happens. I'm pulling for 'im. :-)
  2. Wolfman

Wolfman Assistant Head Coach

Ratings:
    +1,867 / 10 / -4
    ßearz ßuckz:
    178ß
    No lineman allowed more pressure than the 78 combined sacks, hits and hurries he did.

If that stat is true, then the criticism would seem warranted and improvement required....excuses based relative overall OL improvement or individual overachievement based on low expectations seems like weak sauce...not getting it done, is not getting it done...and statically JMills has some work to do...if he doesn't improve those hits and hurries will eventually turn into actual sacks...

I just love how some of you all demand facts...up until those facts don't jive with your subjective "eye test"...

ESPN Disclaimer: This isn't based on long-term projection, but solely the immediate impact they had in 2013. Some team will no doubt be better off for letting their rookies take their lumps this year.

Isn't that what we all hope will be the case with Bears?
  3. riczaj01

riczaj01 DaBears Ditka DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +2,662 / 8 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    576ß
    problem Wolf is the Hits/Hurries, hits are a problem, but sacks should get weighted FAR higher then hits and hits should be weighted FAR higher the hurries, and Hurries should barely be weighted, if at all. Hurries/disruptions are imaginary and ignore what the T is being asked to do on in a given scheme.
  4. Wolfman

Ratings:
    +1,867 / 10 / -4
    ßearz ßuckz:
    178ß
    Being the worst is being worse...maybe the system is flawed, but all OL-men are rated under that same flawed system...being ranked dead last is still a justifiable concern....nobody is declaring JMill a bust, not me, not ESPN....
  5. riczaj01

Ratings:
    +2,662 / 8 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    576ß
    yes, but this is the same system that values Webb equal to or better then Bushrod. Again it's a fundamental, and admitted flaw of the system, they do not know or rate what the play was supposed to do. In Kromers system the T is to drive the DE behind the qb so the qb and step into a clean pocket; but this allows for more "hurries" then other tackles in systems that just want the T to keep the DE in front of the play. So the system for judging the Bears T's b/c of their scheme is flawed.
  6. riczaj01

Ratings:
    +2,662 / 8 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    576ß
  7. Wolfman

Ratings:
    +1,867 / 10 / -4
    ßearz ßuckz:
    178ß
  8. riczaj01

Ratings:
    +2,662 / 8 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    576ß
    my bad, but the sacks is correct, and that's what's important. It still doesn't add up to the worst T in the game. It sounds like the vast majority of his neg stats came in hurries which is an imaginary stat that should bare no weight, especially in this OL scheme where the idea is to drive the DE behind the qb.
  9. Wolfman

Ratings:
    +1,867 / 10 / -4
    ßearz ßuckz:
    178ß
    Was Bushrod ranked last in his five years with the Saints playing T under Kromer's system? I have no idea, but if he was I'll agree you're correct....
  10. riczaj01

Ratings:
    +2,662 / 8 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    576ß
    Bushrod wasn't last, but he was ranked equal to or below Webb, what does that tell you? He also wasn't a 5th round rookie that wasn't expected to start.
  11. Wolfman

Ratings:
    +1,867 / 10 / -4
    ßearz ßuckz:
    178ß
    That Webb had more potential then our terrible coaches were able to get out of him??? j/k

I get that, I really do...and as a 5th round rookie that wasn't expected to start he did damn well all things concerned...still doesn't mean he didn't get his ass handed to him quite a lot...those two things are not mutual exclusive...I really wouldn't expect much less under the circumstances...but flawed system or not, being last is not acceptable...I bet even JMill would say/think that...he took his lumps this year and will hopeful be better for it...but don't tell me those lumps didn't happen...
  12. riczaj01

Ratings:
    +2,662 / 8 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    576ß
    I'm not saying he wasn't bad, I'm just saying I don't think he was the worst T in the game; and that I don't like the "hurries" stat that PFF uses; and if they are going to use it, they need to break it down into "sacks" "hits" and "hurries" so that you can actually see where it breaks down.

Mills got worse as the season progressed no doubt, but I just don't like using PFF rankings as proof; and no other place seems to count just sacks/hits except for CBS, and they don't break it down per players. So kind of like QBR/QPR I just take it all w/a grain of salt, it's usefull for what it is, but at the end of the day, much like Webb and Bushrod, I'll take the "hurries" over the sacks, and I will bet just about anything net related, that Mills didn't give up more sacks then any other T in the league this year, and imo that matters more then hit's and hurries.
  13. MPbears68

MPbears68 Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +1,033 / 1 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    69ß
    That's the "eye test" I referred to. Just like when we told that Bushrod graded out no better than Webb. Lol, that's not what is obvious with the eyes. One guy started 16 games and played competently in a pass heavy offense. The other never got off the bench after years of obvious ineptitude on the field.
  14. Wolfman

Ratings:
    +1,867 / 10 / -4
    ßearz ßuckz:
    178ß
    Fair enough...but there is a difference between matters more or less and not matters at all...the criticism of JMills seems well based and fair...as does just your rebuttal....