ESPN: It's time to develop a young QB in Chicago

Discussion in 'Chicago Bears' started by JustAnotherBearsFan99, Feb 25, 2014.

1. JustAnotherBearsFan99

JustAnotherBearsFan99 Coordinator SuperFan DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +2,465 / 3 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    906ß
    FWIW.

2. riczaj01

riczaj01 DaBears Ditka DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +3,096 / 9 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,176ß
    before the Cutler trade it was time to do that, after the Cutler trade it was time to do that, now that he's signed to a 3-7 year deal it's even more important it happens.
  3. little bear

little bear Assistant Head Coach

Ratings:
    +876 / 1 / -2
    ßearz ßuckz:
    831ß
    There are plenty QBs worth drafting this year. This year is a MUST.

Zach Mettenberger, Aaron Murray, Tajh Boyd, Jimmy Garoppolo, Jordan Lynch, AJ McCarron, Brett Smith and Jeff Matthews just to name a few.
    • Like Like x 2
  4. riczaj01

riczaj01 DaBears Ditka DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +3,096 / 9 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,176ß
    And all those guys should be able to be gotten after you get 2-3 D players. after the 4th you are looking at guys that will be probably backup level anyways.
    • Like Like x 1
  5. mdbearz

mdbearz Veteran

Ratings:
    +284 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    25ß
    You can never have enough QBs, we just need to make sure we do not short ourselves on defense by taking a QB took soon.
  6. a_miljan

a_miljan Veteran

Ratings:
    +293 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    100ß
    of course we can try, it is def. a need, but not sure this is the year we CAN do it, probably next year...
  7. JustAnotherBearsFan99

Ratings:
    +2,465 / 3 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    906ß
    From the first time the Bears announced that Marc Trestman was going to be our new head coach, I've been excited to watch him live up to the hype that he's a "QB Whisperer" who can coach up players to be great QB's. If this is true, then why not bring in a young guy who has the raw talent to be developed into a solid QB If nothing else, the guy could be a solid future backup, rather than spending on a higher priced vet backup. At best, maybe the guy can be Cutler's eventual replacement, down the road.
  8. 4dabers

4dabers Veteran DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +744 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    85ß
    Jimmy ...polo, that's my guy!!!
  9. VJ18

VJ18 Veteran

Ratings:
    +80 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    17ß
    If I had to pick any young guy it would be Aaron Murray, or Jimmy Garoppolo.

Murray is a Brees like QB, he's shorter but its int he pocket well and can launch the ball
    Garoppolo has one of the fastest releases which would be kill for Trestman, I was stunned how fast he really is
  10. JustAnotherBearsFan99

Ratings:
    +2,465 / 3 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    906ß
    Regarding, Jimmy Garoppolo, I'd love to see him here in Chicago. I watched him play at Eastern and he's going to be a solid NFL quarterback for whomever drafts him. The problem is that every projection I've seen for him, has him being picked in the 2nd round. He may not even be available when WE pick in the second. A number of teams will be interested in him. The guy is an amazing talent.......I really enjoyed watching him play.
  11. 4dabers

4dabers Veteran DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +744 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    85ß
    You're right 99, he may go in the second, but that's the thing with those second tier QB's, they have to be the most unpredictable group in every draft. Once you get past those top 3 or 4, you just don't know. Just for the record, I DO NOT advocate drafting ANY QB in this draft before the 4th. Just too many other needs.
    • Like Like x 2
  12. kevperro

kevperro Veteran

Ratings:
    +75 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    73ß
    We have no history of it. From looking at the pickings in the draft and our obvious needs elsewhere I'd say re-sign McCown if we can and wait for another year for the QB gamble.
  13. little bear

little bear Assistant Head Coach

Ratings:
    +876 / 1 / -2
    ßearz ßuckz:
    831ß
    My favorite QB was Oregon State's Sean Mannion. Unfortunately he returned for one more year. :/
    If Emery really decides not to draft a QB this year I really hope he'll take him in 2015.
  14. JustAnotherBearsFan99

Ratings:
    +2,465 / 3 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    906ß
    You may be right. It's ironic though. It makes me angry when I think that we've finally got a guy here in Chicago who can truly develop a GREAT quarterback for us, and yet, we've got a defense so badly neglected that we can't take advantage of Trestman's gift of building great QB's. What a horrific missed opportunity. And it's ironic, due to the fact it's our vaunted defense that finally is bringing us down in Chicago. The "Monsters of the Midway" have become the powderpuffs of the Midway. :-(
  15. Henry Burris

Henry Burris Head Coach

Ratings:
    +2,487 / 8 / -10
    ßearz ßuckz:
    431ß
    Hell, if he's going in the 2nd, nevermind then. I won't be upset if we don't get a QB, but if we do, I trust that Emery and his scouts see something.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  16. JustAnotherBearsFan99

Ratings:
    +2,465 / 3 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    906ß
    If we can't afford to spend a pick on a QB in this draft (and we probably can't), then maybe Trestman will dumpster-dive and find an undrafted guy whom he feels is worth signing and trying to develop. If the 2nd tier QB's in this draft (guys like Garoppolo, Thomas or Mettenberger), are beyond what we can afford to draft this year, then what's left for us to pick through is probably not much better than some of the best undrafted QB's. These will be long-shot guys anyway, even for making a roster or practice squad in the regular season.

Maybe, if Emery can seriously upgrade the defense this year and next, then we can afford to draft a QB with real potential in 2016. And between now and then maybe Trestman can continue to dumpster-dive each year in hopes of finding a hidden gem in UFA.
  17. Grizzblue

Grizzblue Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +456 / 2 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    68ß
    While this is still a pressing issue, we won't be forced to take a qb. We should however have our eyes open starting from round 2 and beyond. We see great value anything outside the first and there is nobody at another needed pos overshadowing it, grab em.

History says Jay will not start all 16 games this year, he is officially injury prone as of late. McCown is fine and all (if he is even resigned) but time for a young backup to develop and hopefully take over down the line.
    • Like Like x 1
  18. Kevin Davis

Kevin Davis Rookie

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    I think they should also draft a RB to develop to replace Matt Forte.