ESPN: "Jay Cutler fierce against Bengals pressure"

Discussion in 'Chicago Bears' started by JustAnotherBearsFan99, Sep 9, 2013.

1. JustAnotherBearsFan99

JustAnotherBearsFan99 Coordinator SuperFan DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +3,020 / 4 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,719ß
    I hope he continues to play smart football.

Last edited: Sep 9, 2013
  2. shark86x

shark86x Pro-Bowler SuperFan

Ratings:
    +786 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    433ß
    It's what we've been saying all along. He's a good QB, if he has time to make his reads. It's obvious his keying on BM was because he didn't have time to make the reads. That and our other "WRs" rarely got open or could hold on to the ball. It's all about the O-line.
    • Like Like x 1
  3. Jimmors

Jimmors The Rhymenoceros Staff Member

Ratings:
    +4,672 / 8 / -6
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,043ß
    The Bengals blitzed just under a third of their pass rushes and STILL didnt get a sack? impressive OL protection.
    • Like Like x 3
  4. riczaj01

riczaj01 DaBears Ditka DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +3,579 / 10 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,782ß
    The OL was solid, but this stat is also on Cutler b/c he didn't hold onto the ball until the WR was open. He was throwing to the spot that the target was supposed to be. In Sunday's game, not only did the OL do their job, but the QB also did theirs, and it meant Cutler was clean all game.

670 has Biggs on, he said that during blitz's the Bears kept 1 or 2 extra blockers in to help pick it up.
    Last edited: Sep 10, 2013
  5. Tarkus

Tarkus Veteran

Ratings:
    +270 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    Don't mind Cutler keying more on Marshall if he's also making them pay with other guys. Marshall's such a beast that I don't see purposely ignoring him at times just to balance it out to satisfy some of the talking heads out there.

As the year progresses, I see Cutler's confidence growing with everyone else to the point he can't help but find them.
  6. riczaj01

Ratings:
    +3,579 / 10 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,782ß
    Tark, but that was the beauty of yesterday, he didn't really key on him. Ya he lead in targets, as any 1 should, but here is how it broke down, it was very even:

Marshal 10
    Jeffery 8
    MBennett 6
    Forte 6
    Earl 1
    Bush 1

I wouldn't mind 2-3 more targets to Earl but that's how I'd like to see it break down, Marshal leads in targets, but not more then 2x's the next 2. That means he's finding the open man and not forcing the ball.
    • Like Like x 2
  7. Tarkus

Tarkus Veteran

Ratings:
    +270 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    Very true, ricza

Just that it's still easy to find that criticism out there even tho it's not the case...so far.

The haters are just gonna keep hating no matter what he does...
  8. riczaj01

Ratings:
    +3,579 / 10 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,782ß
    well I haven't been on the interwebs much so if someone is saying he was still Marshal centric then they are just ignorant haters. That was a great game played by Cutler, and PFF(this shows how you have to take everything they do w/a grain of salt) gave Cutler the highest rating of any QB on Thurs/Sunday night; including Manning. I don't agree w/that, but I will say that Cutler was the best done for the Bears in a very long time.
  9. ChiCityBears

ChiCityBears Veteran

Ratings:
    +23 / 0 / -1
    ßearz ßuckz:
    Do you think we could beat the packers, 49ers, and Falcons? They have high-scoring Os. As we progress, we may be able to improve our ability to score and hang with those teams. After the Broncos game, it is apparent that you need at least 7 Tds to beat the best AFC team
  10. riczaj01

Ratings:
    +3,579 / 10 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,782ß
    Falcons, ya I think the Bears could beat them. Could they beat GB or SF, not so sure about that. SF has a complete team, above average in both O and D. GB has owned the Bears for years, I'll have to see the Beras beat them to believe they can at this point.
  11. butka

butka Veteran

Ratings:
    +133 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    16ß
    Football is all about matchups. The Bears can matchup with the Falcons.

I think we can match up with the Packers as well. Our defense has been able to reasonably contain their offense. The problem was always that their secondary could mostly lock down our passing game and make us one dimensional. I think a lot of that was a schematic issue. It remains to be seen, but I think Trestman and the offense will be able to overcome this. So I think it's very possible to beat the Packers, not saying it'll be a walk in the park, but a lot more likely than in the past couple of seasons.

I still think we match up poorly with the 49ers. Again, watching the offense be able to move the ball against the Bengals D makes me think we can score on the 49ers. The 49ers secondary has some holes in it, especially in nickel situations. The 49ers have a similarly talented front 7 as the Bengals, though I think the 49ers rush the edge better while the Bengals interior is better. Either way, I think this coaching staff and improved o-line can account for that. Where I think we have a problem is our D matching up against their O. I just think their offensive line is too good. They can contain our pass rush and blow most of our front 7 off the ball in the run game. We'll still have a hard time against those guys. We need our defensive front 4 to be on fire in order to stop them. I do not want to meet up with the 49ers at any point in the post season, should we get that far.
    • Like Like x 1
  12. omc1969

omc1969 Veteran

Ratings:
    +216 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    37ß
    It's way too early in the season BUT the arrow is pointing up at this point. A quality win against the Bengals is a great starting point IMHO.
    :)
    • Like Like x 1
  13. Jimmors

Ratings:
    +4,672 / 8 / -6
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,043ß
    Just goes to show that Trestman is smart enough to pick up on when he thinks they are going to blitz, and adjusts the playcalls accordingly.
    • Like Like x 1
  14. soulman

soulman Pro-Bowler SuperFan DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +1,914 / 7 / -3
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,761ß
    Isn't it funny how that's so often overlooked. :rolleyes:

There isn't a QB in the NFL who can succeed when he's running for his life because his OL can't even give him 3 secs to find an open receiver, step up, and throw. Cutler was a Pro Bowl QB his second year in the NFL and anointed as the second coming of John Elway here in Denver before Shanny got canned and McDumb arrived with his deep dark desire for Matt Cassel. Screw his sourpuss looks. The guys is a very good passer and under Trestman I believe he'll finally become a great QB.
    • Like Like x 1
  15. Jimmors

Ratings:
    +4,672 / 8 / -6
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,043ß
    lol, i still remember the conspiracy theory back then, that this is why shit went down the way it did, that Elway was scared of Cutler becoming a new legend in Denver. But yeah, that season showed what kind of QB Jay can be if he is given good WRs (Marshall, Royal), and a fantastic OL. We are slowly working up to that, we got him Marshall, and we are fixing up the OL.
  16. soulman

soulman Pro-Bowler SuperFan DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +1,914 / 7 / -3
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,761ß
    That was probably more in the minds of the sportswriters than it was a reality. As much as Denver likes to deify it's QB's I don't think Jay would have even cared if he became the new Elway. He didn't nothing to endear himself to anyone when he arrived and said he believed he had a better arm than Elway. Holy shit, that was heresy and he's lucky they didn't hang him in effigy. THAT put him on the spot immediately but then he went out and made good on his statement and made the Pro Bowl in year two so what could anyone say?

But he really never was anymore popular here than he has been in Chicago and he really doesn't give a rip. That's actually one of the things I love about him. He doesn't care about being popular he just wants to play football and win. That's about 90% of what he's all about. I don't even believe it's the money. He's not a big spender or into flashy cars or clothes and jewelry. Kristin probably rolls her eyes at some of the outfits he wears. Even his business suits aren't tailored and it wouldn't surprise me at all of he shows up for post games in a sweatshirt. He's actually far more the perfect "lunch bucket" QB for this team than anyone realizes.

Even if he has a career year I don't think he's gonna be that hard to re-sign. He's not gonna play for free but I really don't believe he even cares what Joe Flacco or anyone else got. As long as he gets what he believes is a fair deal he'll sign. He realizes how much he needs the other guys around him to succeed and he wants them to get paid well too and stick around. I really don't believe he wants to play anywhere else but if we're foolish enough to ever let him go he won't be on the street very long. He'll be a starter here or somewhere else but he'll be a starter. I think his time is just about to come.