ESPN: Kyle Long & Matt Slauson "handle" Geno Atkins

Discussion in 'Chicago Bears' started by JustAnotherBearsFan99, Sep 14, 2013.

1. JustAnotherBearsFan99

JustAnotherBearsFan99 Coordinator SuperFan DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +1,866 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    115ß
    I am really impressed with Matt Slauson. The guy is a real beast. Long is still learning his craft and will ultimately be a Pro Bowl lineman. I am so impressed with the guard play.

Uncle Phil Emery "did good" with the OL rebuild effort. Hope the Vikes enjoy their new Webb-nation guy.

2. short faced bear

short faced bear Assistant Head Coach DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +1,162 / 0 / -2
    ßearz ßuckz:
    21ß
    It's light years ahead of last year I'll say that. Even if it's a roller coaster ride you'd never get this kind of performance out of Tice's line, not even once.
    • Like Like x 2
  3. JustAnotherBearsFan99

Ratings:
    +1,866 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    115ß
    It's a joy to watch Bushrod work too. He and Slauson work really well as a team on that left side. I really didn't expect the line to be working this well, this early in the season. Bushrod/Slauson work well together, and really, Long and Mills are working in sync on that right side. Garza looks night-and-day better than last year. I never dreamed he would look as good as he did on Sunday.
    • Like Like x 2
  4. weneedmorelinemen

weneedmorelinemen Veteran

Ratings:
    +326 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    38ß
    It's the donuts.
    • Like Like x 1
  5. JustAnotherBearsFan99

Ratings:
    +1,866 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    115ß
    LOL, whatever it is, I hope he continues, even if it's wolfing down the "Garza Donuts" en masse :-)

On a serious note, he must be in incredible physical condition. At summer training camp I was next to him as he signed autographs, and I was pretty impressed by how buff the guy is (even compared with skill position players). He is amazingly lean. His body fat must be extremely low. He's listed at 310 pounds. For a guy that heavy to be that cut, it's pretty impressive.

I keep wondering if last years woes were directly related to the low-quality guards he was playing with. The guy is a savvy veteran who can help teach the new guys. I'm now thankful we kept him this year.
  6. ZifanQ

ZifanQ Pro-Bowler SuperFan

Ratings:
    +122 / 0 / -1
    ßearz ßuckz:
    Hopefully they will be able to man handle Allen aswell. I can't remember last time I was so hype for a Bears game! So many hours untill game starts:(

If this Oline can keep improving we might end up with one of the betters in the NFL.. talk about a change in case that happens.
  7. JPosh2012

JPosh2012 Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +86 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    I really hope Slauson is part of the long term solution to our O-Line. Bushrod-Slauson-New C-Long-Mills.
  8. weneedmorelinemen

weneedmorelinemen Veteran

Ratings:
    +326 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    38ß
    Garza's knee is held together by the guy's leg strength, and from my memory of his combine, he's had some serious bench numbers. Quick, to Google!

37 reps.

I've always been pulling for the guy, so it's nice to see him doing okay so far.
  9. tbear1

tbear1 Veteran

Ratings:
    +122 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    14ß
    Garza definitely looks better. I like to see him helping the WR and backs get out of the pile after a tackle. It shows leadership and tells the D that our line is looking out for the backs/recievers.
    • Like Like x 1
  10. JustAnotherBearsFan99

Ratings:
    +1,866 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    115ß
    You're right about the knee. He no longer has an ACL. It's not injured - it's no longer there. Seriously. When I first heard that I thought it was probably a misprint. But no. It's true. The guy just keeps playing without it. (no need to rehab.....just figure ACL's are "optional equipment" and go on). I figure the guy would keep trying to play if he lost a foot or an arm :)

Here's an old blurb from a few years ago. The guy sure gives it everything he's got. He plays with a lot of heart.

• Like Like x 1
  11. shark86x

shark86x Pro-Bowler SuperFan

Ratings:
    +495 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    67ß
    Don't really want to continue hijacking this thread, but I was wrong about Garza. Dead wrong. He is solid at C. Maybe it really was the guys on either side of him last year. Very relieved to know we won't be hurting at C the rest of this year.

Long and Mils looked good today. So did Slauson. Bushrod was the weakest link, but he was facing Jared, so hopefully he learned for the next time.
    • Like Like x 3