ESPN: "Like cornered rats, Pittsburgh will beat the Bears"

Discussion in 'Chicago Bears' started by JustAnotherBearsFan99, Sep 19, 2013.

1. jbunch14

jbunch14 Veteran

Ratings:
    +153 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    49ß
    Exactly. All you have to do is look at the number of games decided by 7 points or fewer in the first two weeks of the season to see how much parity now exists. I'm very happy to see the Bears players and coaches focused on the Steelers, and understanding that they are indeed facing a desperate team who will likely give all they have not to go 0-3. I was a big Lovie fan, but the arrogance he sometimes showed with respect to other teams he felt were inferior used to drive me crazy. I doubt we will ever see that from Trestman.
    • Like Like x 2
  2. JustAnotherBearsFan99

JustAnotherBearsFan99 Coordinator SuperFan DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +2,122 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    422ß
    Exactly. And I do feel pretty good about this game. Not because the Steelers are 0-2. But rather, because the Bears coaches and players are NOT taking this game for granted. That's good coaching IMHO.

Only fools do otherwise.

[​IMG]
    • Like Like x 1
  3. JustAnotherBearsFan99

Ratings:
    +2,122 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    422ß
  4. lklrlolnlilklsox

lklrlolnlilklsox Position Coach

Ratings:
    +298 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    41ß
    Steelers are quite the popular pick to bounce back with a vengeance and salvage what would be a disastrous start if they go 0-3. I suppose there's a lot of sound reason and history that shows vet teams like that being safe bets, but I think this offense smells blood in the water and is on the verge of dominance. Hopefully, the D steps up similarly, because the pieces are all very much there.
    • Like Like x 4
  5. jbunch14

jbunch14 Veteran

Ratings:
    +153 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    49ß
    I feel the same. I can feel the offense coming together. The comfort level seems to be going up for Cutler, which is hugely important. If the line can keep Jay clean in this game, I think the offense puts on a show, and the Bears win by a pair of TDs.
    • Like Like x 2
  6. DavidL

DavidL Pro-Bowler SuperFan

Ratings:
    +638 / 5 / -22
    ßearz ßuckz:
    595ß
    You are right. Steelers will play with max intensity. I am hoping the Bears hammer them in the first quarter and take the crowd out of the game If the crowd starts to see their 0-2 team becoming an 0-3 team, they will start booing their own team -- the sound of rats deserting a sinking ship. That booing would be music to our ears. However, if the Bears come out flat and the Steelers win the first quarter, it's going to be hard to turn the momentum around. That's how home underdogs win NFL games.
    • Like Like x 2
  7. JustAnotherBearsFan99

Ratings:
    +2,122 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    422ß
    David, that's a great point. After reading your post, I had two thoughts:

1. I agree, we need to take them out of the game early. Make a statement. Take their best shot and come right back and punch them in the mouth (I think our team can be as physical as any of them, including the Steelers).

2. This has the "feel" of a game, where in the past, "Bad Jay" would make an appearance. If Jay "plays within himself" and protects the football in this game - and we win - then I believe "Bad Jay" may be gone forever. Sure, Cutler may have "off" games where he throws a couple of ints (even the great ones have off games, including QB's like Peyton Manning and Rodgers). But I don't think we'll see the epic meltdowns in prime time anymore, where Jay makes an ass out of himself in prime time, and we go down in flames.

I'm hoping that Trestman can keep Jay and the team focused all game long and we come out with a win. I don't care if it's an ugly win. In fact, I expect this to BE an ugly game, because the Steelers still have some stud veteran players who will be playing for pride in front of their home crowd. We will have to take their best shot, and remain standing. It'll be like two veteran heavyweight boxers slugging it out.

Should be an epic, ugly game - but I love watching those kind of physical games. People will think I'm nuts here, but I'm about as excited about this game, as I normally get for a Green Bay/Bears game.

I can't wait for Sunday night.
  8. WearyBear

WearyBear Rookie

Ratings:
    +31 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    Good post but I saw that game and number 1: the Bears were very cocky and they looked past Miami so they were ripe for a loss, number2: if anybody was going to figure out the vulnerability of the 46 defense ( Wilbur Marshall a linebacker covering a wide receiver in certain circumstances, also rolling Dan Marino out and away from Richard Dent. Dan Marino was basically a drop back passer) it was going to be Don Shula, number3: the Dolphins were just plain lucky (like bouncing a pass off of another players helmet for a touchdown pass). The Bears really wanted to play Miami in the Super Bowl to make up for that loss and teach Miami a lesson. According to Steve McMicheal, he was personally going to rough Dan Marino up. But the fact is that loss was probably the best thing that happened to the Bears that year. That loss brought them back down to earth. I'm not trying to make crap of the Dolphins - they were a good team with a future HOF Coach and quarterback - but the Bears were a lot better football team than the Dolphins were that year. Plus the Dolphins to their credit were extremely motivated because they were and I think still are (somebody correct me if I'm wrong) the only team that went undefeated for an NFL season. I think that if the Bears would have played the Dolphins in the Super Bowl that year, the victory would have been even more lopsided than the Patriots game.
    • Like Like x 2
  9. JustAnotherBearsFan99

Ratings:
    +2,122 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    422ß
    Wouldn't this be a GREAT time for Hester to take one to the house, right out of the chute? Put them down 7 points right away. I think Hester is ready to break one, and this would be the perfect game to do that in.
    • Like Like x 2
  10. BearJim

BearJim Veteran SuperFan DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +146 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    15ß
    Keep in mind that 85' Miami team were in the SB the year before & had one of the best QB of all time. In simple words, there were pretty damn good. Not to mention they were playing for the pride of the 72' Dolphins.

99, I'd love to see Hester take the opening KO to the house. But what I'd really like to see is him have a great night on punt returns. Not only for TDs & good field position but it means our defense is getting off the field on 3rd down, which has been a big problem in the 1st 2 games.
    • Like Like x 1
  11. JustAnotherBearsFan99

Ratings:
    +2,122 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    422ß
    That's what the Steelers will be playing for on Sunday night. They are a veteran team with a QB who has led them to multiple Super Bowls, and has won a Super Bowl. These folks here who say we should be blowing them out tomorrow night, well, I hope they're right. I suspect they are wrong. It will be a hard fought game, a butt-ugly game, but I think we can win. I don't see a blowout Bears win here. But hey, I'm wrong a lot, so hope I'm wrong about this too.
    • Like Like x 2
  12. jbunch14

jbunch14 Veteran

Ratings:
    +153 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    49ß
    I would like to see the Steelers kick it out of bounds at the fifty all night long. That would make me giddy!!
  13. BearJim

Ratings:
    +146 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    15ß
    99, of course I'd rather we blow them out so maybe I can relax enough to get a few hrs sleep but as long as we win I'll be happy!
  14. JustAnotherBearsFan99

Ratings:
    +2,122 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    422ß
    Me too.

If we do blow them out (and this could certainly happen) then I will be pleasantly surprised. Which is great. But, if we simply come out with a hard-fought nasty win in an epic battle - well, I won't be disappointed either. I don't expect a "pretty" win tonight. But if we come out and play a near perfect game, I will be thrilled.

Those who expect a blowout, will be disappointed if we have a close win, and make mistakes in this game. They can "diminish" the win, and the fact we are 3-0, by saying we "should have done better".......frankly, I hate that attitude. A win is a win. And there are very few "easy wins" in the NFL now.
  15. Tarkus

Tarkus Veteran

Ratings:
    +270 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    I used to take it as arrogance early on till I came to the realization that he & his staff were just pre-game strategists with no ability to counter punch during games. Went right along with them scheming to an opponent with no regard for scheming to our strengths & looking good at times just from talent over riding bad situations.

Still stunned that we now have an obvious polar opposite staff in place now...
  16. DavidL

DavidL Pro-Bowler SuperFan

Ratings:
    +638 / 5 / -22
    ßearz ßuckz:
    595ß
    True. Checking the Vegas odds, the Bears are favored by 2 points, and only the top 3 teams are favored by more than 7.
    • Like Like x 1
  17. BearJim

Ratings:
    +146 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    15ß
    Just win baby!
    • Like Like x 1
  18. JPosh2012

JPosh2012 Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +86 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    I think tonight would be the perfect night to do it or better yet the Steelers Punter could pull a Todd Sauerbrun!
  19. JustAnotherBearsFan99

Ratings:
    +2,122 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    422ß
    With the Packers getting beat by the Bengals this afternoon, this game tonight is HUGE. The Packers are going into their bye week next week a 1-2 team. We could be 3-0 tonight. That would be an unbelievable start to this new Trestman era. I wouldn't have believed it possible, considering all of the new coaches, players, schemes, etc. It would be a dream beginning to our season, up 2 games on the Packers, right outta the chute.
    • Like Like x 1
  20. Akuma2000

Akuma2000 Veteran SuperFan

Ratings:
    +161 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    33ß
    Yea, I don't think anybody expected this good of a start by the bears in the new trestman era....but that's just how I like it, stealthy just like a ninja. ;)