ESPN: Rookie review RT Jordan Mills

Discussion in 'Chicago Bears' started by JustAnotherBearsFan99, Feb 6, 2014.

1. TarheelBear

TarheelBear Rookie

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    Interesting thing to me is Phil was able to fix a major problem of pervious bad drafting in one year hit absolute home run on mills, Long as we all know was everything we hoped he be. I see no reason to discredit or take away from Mills did was he perfect nope, but for 7 yrs of watching the train wreck of offense line going back to sexy rexy super bowl I know what bad offense line looks like. Was nice to see not really sure Cutler even trusted the line for the first 4 games. Mills was impressive for 5th rnd pick and he will only get better. But competition brings out the best in all and we need quality backups.
  2. soulman

soulman Pro-Bowler SuperFan DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +1,683 / 2 / -2
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,159ß
    One we were able to win with Mills and score the second most points in the league and two those "low lights" were against some of the best DLinemen in the NFL. Pro Bowl players. They're expected to beat up on rookie OTs and they did. That's a handful of plays not a seasons worth. We can probably expect him to improve and if not we can expect him to be replaced.
  3. weneedmorelinemen

weneedmorelinemen Veteran

Ratings:
    +342 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    60ß
    It's not uncommon for rookies' play to fall off at the end of their first season. It's a long year, what with getting ready for the combine and finishing school then jumping into OTA's and training camp.

I know I harp on this a lot, but I hate how PFF really ranked J. Mills so low in the -30s, even lower than Webb's first year at RT. Mills allowed 3 sacks in 16 games where Webb had 12 sacks with 12 starts. I'll take Mills giving up a hurry but still getting in the way over Webb not touching his guy and Cutler getting killed. I feel good enough about RT with Mills and Britton on the roster.
    • Like Like x 4
  4. Grizzblue

Grizzblue Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +439 / 1 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    42ß
    Absolutely no reason to start to think we need to upgrade RT this year IMO. Mills preformed above and beyond what is expected of a rookie. While I think what PFF does is good, there are defiantly flaws in the system and you can't take their word as god's. 2 sacks combined with strong run blocking is a great start, so long as this injury isn't lingering I expect him to be much improved this year. 2nd year with Kromer and 2nd year being next to Long we should see some major improvement. I'm always an advocate for always installing youth in our OL so maybe we add a UDFA but not a drafted tackle unless some kind of outstanding value presented itself somewhere.
    • Like Like x 1
  5. riczaj01

riczaj01 DaBears Ditka DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +2,662 / 8 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    569ß

I 100% agree w/you on PFF, their biggest problem is they don't allow their stats to adjust based on a teams system and it also over values "QB pressures". If it's not a sack or at least a hit it shouldn't be an issue.

But I wasn't just talking about PFF, I was talking about local guys and their opinions also. I know a rookie will have his play drop off and we should all be happy w/how he played, but I'm just wondering how much of a ceiling he has, and if he might have played over it for awhile. Again most of this is just over analyzation b/c of the long break between FA and the Draft.
  6. weneedmorelinemen

Ratings:
    +342 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    60ß
    That Philly game was awful. But you are right. Mills could be just a guy that isn't a special player. We could just be so excited to see a guy get in the way of defenders more often than not and not have the mental lapses of Webb and Omiyale that we are accustomed to.

But his play at the beginning of the year was fantastic considering he was not to be the starter. Webb or Scott was. He got the spot when Webb played his way off the team with his inconsistency and Scott hurt his problematic knee. To me, that meant he had gotten himself ready to play without first team reps or the immediate focus of the coaching staff and when given his shot in preseason was still ready for it.

That's an amazing level of discipline and preparedness that I love to see in a lineman that I can't wait to see if he builds off his success his sophomore year. Webb certainly never had that, and looked so unprepared his rookie year it was criminal of Tice to keep forcing him to protect Jay for the rest of the season.
    • Like Like x 2
  7. soulman

Ratings:
    +1,683 / 2 / -2
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,159ß
    I question these "hurry' stats anyway especially if what was on those vids is an example. Cutler got his pass of and completed it in all of them but one I believe. Edge pressure is only valuable when a QB can't step up to avoid it or bail out and roll away from it. You need inside pressure to make edge pressure more effective.

After Webb and Omiyale and finally Carimi's failure seeing a kid sticking with his man and taking care of business most of the time is a pleasant relief and Eben Britton proved that he's also a very capable sub at OT. He was a 2nd round draft pick so we can look at him as a guy JA didn't draft but we got eventually anyway.

We have a decent RT whose just in his second year and who didn't cost us a higher draft pick plus a backup who cost us no draft picks. Neither of them need to be upgraded or replaced at the moment so any OT we take this year would either be a guy just too good to pass who could start (haha) or another UDFA to stick on the PS.

They normally suit 7 linemen on game day so why would we draft an OT just to be on the inactive list each week or on the PS when we already have guys there for that.
    • Like Like x 2
  8. weneedmorelinemen

Ratings:
    +342 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    60ß
    The hurry stat is annoying because it is subjective to the viewer, and the PFF guys label themselves as not scouts. They don't know what the scheme is trying to do. Kromer in New Orleans and here is known for having better guards than tackles for the QB to have somewhere to step up to. He knows he is not getting premier edge protection and designs his offense accordingly to get rid of the ball faster. The QB has to step up into the pocket where he does have good pass protection from his interior.

For me, what's important is that the plays are succeeding in spite of the QB being "hurried" from the edge and that the sack numbers are down from catastrophic levels to what the rest of the league has.
    • Like Like x 2
  9. Grizzblue

Grizzblue Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +439 / 1 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    42ß
    Yep I agree, the "hurry" stat is stupid unless its just screaming obvious. If we are in a 3 step drop and my man takes a wide outside rush and I ride him around it may look like a hurry, but its not. The ball came out on time my guy took himself out of the play, I win. Regardless of what it looked like on TV. I disagree with that stat in every setting, don't know why anyone even tries to track it. Unless a QB is flushed, impossible to tell.
    • Like Like x 1
  10. riczaj01

riczaj01 DaBears Ditka DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +2,662 / 8 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    569ß
    Grizz, I agree w/that also, unless it's OBVIOUS the QB is forced to throw it away or is flushed the "hurry" shouldn't count as a neg, merely a n/a neither neg or pos. And that's the fundamental flaw in PFF's Linemen stat. It works for DL also, a guy like Shea got credit for "hurries" when they really didn't do anything but it inflated his stats.
    • Like Like x 1
  11. soulman

Ratings:
    +1,683 / 2 / -2
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,159ß
    Mills was getting beat to the outside on a couple of those and by a spin move once but he doesn't just shrug and give up like Webb. At he peels back and gives second effort and sometimes that all you need to but that extra split second needed to get the ball off. I'm more concerned with hits and sacks and I'm sure the coaches are too.
    • Like Like x 2
  12. BSBEARS

BSBEARS Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +597 / 3 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    464ß
    Mills was a solid starter, he will still improve and has obvious room for improvement. We have a good coach in Kromer and time will tell. Hopefully next year at the draft these type of positions will be where we can draft some competition, this year somebody special would have to fall in our laps. Its not a need right now but a luxury to upgrade. Hopefully he will progress and if not I really hope next year we can make some luxury picks.
  13. soulman

Ratings:
    +1,683 / 2 / -2
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,159ß
    IF an OT does he almost has to be a guy who can either bump Mills or Britton and while neither are All Pros they both played fairly well. Unless we took a 1st round OT I doubt we'd find one later on good enough to bounce either of them and he gets cut or ends up on the PS.

He'd need to be one hell of a prospect because we have our starting five plus de la Puente to back at OG and OC and Britton at OT plus we still have Brown who has two years experience now and could play LT. Eight is about all you'd have on the 53 man roster and 7 is usually what you dress. There isn't much sense in spending a pick on a kid we have no place for.
    • Like Like x 1
  14. Bearsinhouston

Bearsinhouston Hall of Famer

Ratings:
    +1,230 / 2 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    290ß
    Couldn't you have explained this to Angelo a few seasons ago? It could have saved some heartache.
    • Like Like x 2
  15. JustAnotherBearsFan99

JustAnotherBearsFan99 Coordinator SuperFan DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +2,064 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    324ß
    I agree. This is the kind of guy Kromer seems to thrive on, making them into solid OL players. Mills will take another step this season. There were 18 tackles drafted last year. Not even all of the 1st round tackles started last year, so for Mills to perform as well as he did, as a 5th round "project" is amazing.
    • Like Like x 3
  16. soulman

Ratings:
    +1,683 / 2 / -2
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,159ß
    He wouldn't listen. I've apparently lost my powers of persuasion. LOL
  17. soulman

Ratings:
    +1,683 / 2 / -2
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,159ß

Good point. Comparing him to some of the top picks how did he do. I fully expect the vets to have outplayed him and by all rights the 1st round guys should have to but did they and if so by how much? What did he allow? Two or three sacks? I'll take that for a 5th round first year guy who can only get better after he sees opponents more often.
  18. Bearsinhouston

Bearsinhouston Hall of Famer

Ratings:
    +1,230 / 2 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    290ß
    That bastard....