ESPN's Todd McShay: Safety Brock Vereen Best Pick In NFC North

Discussion in 'Chicago Bears' started by BelieveInMonsters, May 12, 2014.

1. BelieveInMonsters

BelieveInMonsters Veteran

Ratings:
    +231 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    48ß
    Surprise for the best pick in the NFC North:

http://www.chicagobears.com/news/ar...rth-pick/1b610380-734c-40a3-8a97-5cf41f973d26

McShay: Vereen best NFC North pick

Posted 58 minutes ago
    By Larry Mayer
    ESPN analyst Todd McShay has chosen the Bears' selection of Minnesota safety Brock Vereen in the fourth round as the best pick by any NFC North team in the draft.

ESPN analyst Todd McShay has chosen the Bears' selection of Minnesota safety Brock Vereen[​IMG] in the fourth round as the best pick by any NFC North team in the draft.

Vereen appeared in 47 games with 36 starts at all four secondary positions over four seasons at Minnesota. Last year he registered 59 tackles, six tackles-for-loss and one interception while starting the first six games at safety and the final seven contests at cornerback.

[​IMG]
    Bears fourth-round draft pick Brock Vereen intercepts a pass against UNLV.
    "The Bears want versatile, explosive defensive backs, and Vereen fits the bill here," McShay wrote. "He has excellent closing burst and versatility, and he's willing to come up and support the run. He should be able to contribute in sub packages for the Bears. I love the way Vereen plays the game."

Standing tall: At 6-feet and 199 pounds, Vereen doesn't possess optimal size. But he makes up for it by studying opponents and utilizing his quickness and instincts.

"In the Big Ten, you're going to see a lot of the big receivers," Vereen said. "With some of those bigger guys, the more film study you can do on them to get any advantage to use as far as their timing and how they like to use their body, you can play big with them."

Vereen is also very strong for his size, as evidenced by the 25 reps of 225 pounds he did at the NFL Scouting Combine, the most by any safety.

"At Minnesota we had a great weight program and hopefully the strength I built there will carry over to the field," Vereen said.

You've got Mel: ESPN analyst Mel Kiper Jr. gave the Bears a 'B-' grade for the draft.

"The Bears have some questions on value, but I think they did a solid job of targeting needs," Kiper wrote. "Kyle Fuller[​IMG] may not be a star at CB, but the floor is probably a really good player for a long time. I didn't mind that pick at all, especially after Cleveland moved up to get Justin Gilbert, who isn't superior to Fuller. Ha Ha Clinton-Dix would've been a solid pick here as well."

Tackle tandem: Convinced that the Bears were not going to draft defensive tackles with back-to-back picks, Arizona State's Will Sutton[​IMG] thought his chances of being selected by the team were slim after LSU's Ego Ferguson[​IMG] was chosen in the second round.

"When Ego from LSU got drafted, I was like 'Man, it looks like I'm not going to be a Bear,'" Sutton said. "But then they got me in the third round. I bet they think that us two can make a good tandem together. Either he plays nose and I play three-tech or vice versa; whatever they want us to play. I feel like us two can come in and really do some damage."

This year marked the first time the Bears have drafted two defensive tackles in the first three rounds since 2004 when they picked Tommie Harris in the first round and Tank Johnson in the second.

Lesson learned: Asked about draft analysts who claim he has a "hot and cold motor," Sutton vowed not to let any criticism bother him like it did last season at Arizona State.

"You just have to go out there and prove them wrong," Sutton said. "That's what happened to me going into my senior year; I let that get to me and I can't let that get to me anymore. I just have to go out there and stay true to who I am and listen to the people who really have a say-so in what I do, like my coaching staff and my parents."​
  2. BelieveInMonsters

BelieveInMonsters Veteran

Ratings:
    +231 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    48ß
    Maybe we didn't miss out on a Safety after all.

Also love the fact that Kiper says that the first CB taken, Justin Gilbert isn't better than Kyle Fuller.
  3. little bear

little bear Assistant Head Coach

Ratings:
    +911 / 1 / -2
    ßearz ßuckz:
    907ß
    Only time will tell. :thumb:
    • Like Like x 1
  4. BSBEARS

BSBEARS Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +828 / 4 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    870ß
    I am warming up to this pick. Most mocks had him as a later pick so I really was not to familiar with him. Its been discussed on the difference between team ratings and the so called experts but post draft talk seams to be all positive.
    • Like Like x 2
  5. soulman

soulman Pro-Bowler SuperFan DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +1,914 / 7 / -3
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,760ß
    With all of the pre-draft hype going on and in combination with the guess work of the media and draft gurus and their mocks nothing really gets settled until the rubber meets the road and it's time to pick. Some players rise, some fall and some end up on no ones board. How is it the some were saying that Kelcy Quarles was the next best thing to Aaron Donald and had a late first or high second round grade and yet he never even gets drafted?

Sometimes there's so little difference between players that it all comes down to their "fit" for a certain team. From all that I could see Fuller is a more physical player than Gilbert and also has more versatility so for the Bears needs he was the perfect fit in a CB. Everyone seemed sure that Dix would be a top ten pick yet he went to the Packers at 21 after Pryor was picked and then two other Safeties with 2nd round grades go in round one too. Did panic set in?

I posted this in a few other threads as well. I don't know if I'd call Vereen the very best pick in the NFCN or even the Bears best pick but I do think he was the best "bargain" the Bears got. I think the Bears scouting paid off for them here. Because Vereen moved around so much no one has a great read on him as a Safety so he went lower than he might have if he'd played his entire senior year at Safety. Based on his measurables he could easily have been rated a second round pick too. I would not be at all surprised if he starts at FS this year.
  6. Bearsinhouston

Bearsinhouston Position Coach

Ratings:
    +1,879 / 7 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,183ß
    Me either. I'm kind of counting on it.
  7. The Benjamin

The Benjamin George Halas Staff Member

Ratings:
    +2,047 / 7 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,281ß
    I hope he means best value pick cause I do not think he is the best pick/player
  8. MPbears68

MPbears68 Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +1,339 / 2 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    378ß
    Vereen has a good shot at supplanting Conte for FS this year IMO. At worst, he's his backup and heir apparent to the job should he need some learning time. I liked the move and BV was about the last decent safety prospect left from what I saw.

Lot of people were questioning why, after Donald went off the board, Phil didn't go right to Dix or Pryor since safety was such an obvious hole on the roster. I'm glad he didn't and I didn't think of either of those guys as all that much more "must have" over Buchanon. As it turned out, there was a late 1st safety run that took out Phil's 2nd round options there. Consider also that buying a starting caliber safety in FA should you need to is a whole heck of a lot cheaper than it is to buy a quality cornerback.

I'm glad Emery kept his cool and got Fuller in the 1st and Vereen later on.
  9. Grizzblue

Grizzblue Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +483 / 2 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    92ß
    After the early run on safeties, this was the absolute best S pick we could have taken IMO. We weren't left with very much and Vereen has been mentioned as a potential breakout player in the NFL. Will he ever live up to that? Who knows but this was a weak S class and teams knew it, therefore there was an early run. Emery had his pick of the litter on S at 14 and passed on them all to take Fuller. The next best pick and our next best chance at a guy to push Conte was Vereen.
  10. DavidL

DavidL Pro-Bowler SuperFan

Ratings:
    +708 / 6 / -22
    ßearz ßuckz:
    962ß
    Yep, I am hoping for Vereen to put Conte's butt on the bench.
    • Like Like x 1
  11. riczaj01

riczaj01 DaBears Ditka DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +3,295 / 9 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,464ß
    Sadly, I think Conte is still the 2nd best S, IF Vareen beats him out, Mundy and Jennings are laughable.
  12. MPbears68

MPbears68 Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +1,339 / 2 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    378ß
    I hope he does if he's a clear upgrade but that might be a lot to expect out of a rookie right out of the shoot. We will see. I know you despise Conte but hope you recognize that he was about #9 on the top-10 list of why the defense sucked last year.
    • Like Like x 1
  13. MPbears68

MPbears68 Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +1,339 / 2 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    378ß
    I do too. And I don't think Mundy is laughable. Just the best SS option.
  14. riczaj01

Ratings:
    +3,295 / 9 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,464ß
    he's laughable.
  15. MPbears68

MPbears68 Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +1,339 / 2 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    378ß
    The DL and Wright were the far bigger "laughables" last year.
  16. riczaj01

Ratings:
    +3,295 / 9 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,464ß
    ya but Mundy wasn't on this team sucking last year
  17. MPbears68

MPbears68 Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +1,339 / 2 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    378ß

Yet, Mel Tucker WAS and he was neither fired nor "competed against" to retain his job. It's his job to make this work. No excuses. You're never gonna have pro bowlers at every position.
  18. riczaj01

Ratings:
    +3,295 / 9 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,464ß
    MP, again go back and look at how bad Lovie's D's were w/just Tommie OR Urlacher missing. Then imagine how bad it would have been like if Lovie had lost them AND Tillman, AND Briggs, AND the backups. Then sit down and give it up.
  19. strockrocks

strockrocks Veteran

Ratings:
    +218 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    26ß
    The way I look at it is, Lovie is not here; we will not be running his defense, and we have tons of new guys on defense. We've heard bits and pieces here and there of what the defense will look like but the truth is, we have no clue. And now with the draft over as they head to rookie camp next week, the pieces will start falling in place as they head to the summer.

That's why in my book, I'm giving everyone a clean start, a fresh chance, and last year is completely wiped out of what went wrong and who is to blame. Emery got some good defensive coach help (and the Kung-Foo guy who I am curious about) and it sounded like they really thought every detail through as far as retaining Tucker. You can be angry about the fact he's here or not, but he's who we have this season. I'll even give him somewhat of a new start in my book but because he leads the defense, and he hasn't proven anything to me, he's on a short leash.

We have some exciting new additions! Houston is going to be a stud! I can't believe we will see Jared Allen out there in a Bears uniform. I can't wait to see Shea. And the new defensive guys (except Fuller) are all pissed off ready to start working and proving themselves. I think they will fit in great.

Beardown!
    • Like Like x 1
  20. soulman

soulman Pro-Bowler SuperFan DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +1,914 / 7 / -3
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,760ß
    Based on the Bears drafting history going all the way back to the '50s when it was all Halas doing the picking I would have been surprised if we did take one of the Safeties. Over all those years right up to the present the Bears have only taken one Safety with their first round pick and that was Mark Carrier. In over 60 years that's it. Just Carrier.

Whenever the Bears have made defensive picks a priority in the first few rounds they've typically been DLinemen, LBs and a few CBs. Safeties always came later so historically we've never emphasized that position early in the draft. Most of our better Safeties were 3rd round picks or later. It seems to be a long standing Bears tradition.

MP made a good point too. It's a hell of a lot less expensive to find competent Safeties in FA than it is shut down corners. When I saw the Rams take Donald I was righteously pissed and then all I could think of was don't take Dix, take Fuller or Mosley or Shazier or trade down. I just never thought either Dix or Pryor were something special you couldn't find in another draft.